What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2006 - Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Franco50
I recently bought a 9 month old Focus (a 56-reg) from a non-Ford dealership and have now discovered that one of the rear speakers is faulty. As there was no warranty booklet provided with the car I am unsure if this sort of thing would be covered by the manufacturer's warranty - can anyone help?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/12/2007 at 17:52

Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Kuang
Speakers can easily be damaged by misuse, which might be Ford's line. Having said that, wouldn't the dealer be responsible for anything broken unless he could prove that it was fine when you took the car?
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - bell boy
this is pretty bad
how would you describe the fault on the speaker (less thean 100 words obviously)
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Altea Ego
how do you misuse a speaker? If you blow it by using the stereo too loud, then it was obviously not rated correctly.
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Marc
how do you misuse a speaker? - The ones in doors are sometimes kicked in - especially by kids. Or you can blow the cone by turning the volume up to maximum

I'm guessing the OP's one is disconnected ie dead...
If you blow it by using the stereo too loud then it was obviously not rated correctly.
not true im afraid,you can easily blow the voice coil by over use of the extended bass or even by the clipping of the peaks of the output transisters,theres an old but true maxim,if you turn the volume to more than half its maximum then you are into distortion and clipping and time for a music system upgrade or new battery in the old hearing aid
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Kuang
Doesn't that depend on the design of the stereo though? My old 1970s Hitachi was rated at 30w and would happily max out whilst remaining crystal clear (as proved by using it in a hall through a pair of bombproof Tannoys) because the power section was verging on industrial and hugely overspecced. I know a lot of modern stereos that use PMPO to overrate their output appear to distort before you're a quarter of the way around the dial.
most stereos give peak power at 1/2 volume the other half is for show like flashing lights
obviously there are exceptions but i dont think a blue spot ford is one of those
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - L'escargot
Well, I've Read The Focus Manual (admittedly Focus 1 facelift, dated 03/2003) and I can't see anything which which excludes the stereo speaker from the warranty. It says "Your new Ford vehicle is covered by a manufacturer's base 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty which is extended for a further 2 years by the addition of a no-fee Ford Protect 3 years/60,000 miles Classic Plan ........* This means that if any part of the vehicle becomes defective due to faulty manufacture or materials within the first year (.........*) of the date you take delivery, the part will be repaired or replaced (as to which we have complete discretion) free of charge by any Authorised Ford Dealer in Europe."

*......... denotes clauses applicable to Transit and Ranger models only.

However it also says "The only conditions of the warranty are: the vehicle must be serviced as recommended in the Ford Service Plan and preferably by a Ford Dealer; the record of services and the record of paint checks in the Service History Log must be stamped and signed by the servicing dealer; the vehicle must not have been neglected, misused, modified or used for racing or rallying; the vehicle's plated weights must not have been exceeded."

I've never had a Ford warranty claim rejected, even when I've bought a used car. I recommend you consult a Ford Dealer.
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Pugugly {P}
I think its generally been twelve months on most cars that have passed through this household.
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Franco50
Thanks for the clarification l'escargot. To elaborate on my original post, I've had the car for about 4 weeks and TBH I seldom use the radio or CD and I have certainly never had it anywhere near maximum volume. However I had the radio on a couple of days ago and noticed a distortion coming from what I thought was the left front speaker. I played around with the balance and fader and discovered it is actually the rear left speaker at fault. Sound is very badly distorted and un-listenable (is that a word?) even at very low level so I have adjusted the fader to play on the front speakers only meantime.
As for the grille being abused, e.g. by kids, I have no kids and havn't even had a bac seat passenger yet so if there has been any damage caused it wasn't done while in my ownership.
I shall check with the dealer where I purchased the car and, if need be, the local Ford dealership.
Thanks for all the responses.

Edited by Franco50 on 29/12/2007 at 17:31

Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - kithmo
IIRC everything except tyre and clutch wear is covered in the first 12 months.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
I shall check with the dealer where I purchased the car and if need be
the local Ford dealership.

Since it's a case of claiming on the Ford warranty you should contact the service department of the Ford dealer. They will have the expertise and resources to solve the problem. They may even be able to help regarding any missing manuals etc. I personally wouldn't involve the selling dealer at all unless it's absolutely necessary.
....... missing manuals etc.

Unless the system has changed you ought to have:-

Owner's Guide.
Audio Guide.
Warranty and Service Guide.
Service History Log.
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Franco50
This was a bone of contention when I bought the car. There were no guides of any description supplied with the car and no spare key! The dealer contacted the previous owner to try to obtain the missing guides and key but to no avail. They arranged a spare key to be made for me but I had to buy new guide books from a German internet website and they did reimburse the cost I incurred. Only guide I couldn't get hold of was the warranty one. Personally I think they should have had all that done themselves prior to the car going on sale but I had to point out the missing bits to the salesman on the day I picked the car up.

Edited by Franco50 on 30/12/2007 at 12:25

They will have the expertise and resources to solve the problem.
>>>>>>>>>>.
>>>>>>>>>>>>> you mean a philips screwdriver,some bodging tape and an old 3"x4" semi elliptical stashed elko under the desk at deception ;-)
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - Pugugly {P}
Oh yes and the special tools.
you mean a philips screwdriver some bodging tape and an old 3"x4" semi elliptical
stashed elko under the desk at deception ;-)

No, I mean the ability to obtain and fit the correct part(s), and to sort the funding/paperwork with Ford.

Anyway, what reputable dealer/garage uses Phillips screws/screwdrivers these days? I accept that some back-street bodgers or one-man-bands who don't know the difference between Phillips and Posidriv may do, but I wasn't suggesting that Franco50 went to one of those.
Faulty stereo speaker - warranty covered? - grumpyscot
Speaker went duff in my Saab after two years - Saab replaced it under warranty with no questions asked whatsoever. I asked if I could have replaced the speaker myself, their response was - the new cabling (multiplex) systems make the old fashioned speakers redundant. Certainly, searching other forums, I discovered that on a Saab you can't easily replace a head unit without rewiring the entire car!

Not sure if Ford will apply the same technology, but since the Saab is basically a bog standard GM Vectra................