What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2000 2.5 v6 - Won't start - Blue {P}
Hi all,

I'll keep the history of this as brief as possible to help avoid confusion:

My 2000 Mondog 2.5 V6 will not start, it's been a reluctant starter for quite a while but has always sprung into life in the end so I've never thought there was a serious issue until now.

The car refused to start the other day, it would turn over and over normally, and would *almost* fire into life on a few cylinders but just wouldn't quite go. In the end it appeared to fix itself, then it went off again, my mate came round to have a look, he primed it several times before trying to start it and it fired up.

Thinking that this pointed to a weak fuel pump, he replaced that with one from Ebay last night and the car seemed to be starting again, however, once again this morning I've gone out and she just won't fire.

The smoke that comes out of the exhaust is black when cranking, and there is a healthy smell of petrol, so, what do people think may be the cause? She has a recent replacement coil pack and brand new HT leads, none of which made any difference to the running, which, even when she does start, is less than perfect. She often seems to hesitate and often the power delivery will become weak, sometimes in mid-acceleration the get up and go will appear to have gotten up and gone!

Any ideas welcome, she gets towed away this afternoon but the guy may not be able to look at her for a few days.

Blue

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 08/12/2007 at 09:42

Won't start - normd2
spark plugs? failing battery? damp?
Won't start - Jono_99
I'd agree with the above.

With my noddy understanding of cars, I would try WD40 on spak plugs, to see if that helps. I'd also try a different battery (though you say it turns OK)

I'd also take a random spark plug out and have a look, and then a second one to compare against. If they were the same, I would find a Haynes manual, and have a look at the chart on the back cover, to see if that told me anything!!

This from an incompetent, but keen, DIY mechanic - but things that you could usefully do before it gets towed

Jon
Won't start - RichardW
My money is on either the Coolant temp sensor, or the crank sensor. Hopefully the man that knows has a scanner that can read live data whilst cranking so they can see what's going on!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Won't start - Blue {P}
Aye, someone has mentioned the coolant sensor on the Mondeo forums, fingers crossed it's something that easy!

The guy I'm taking it to is pretty much an acknowledged local expert, even the local garages send their work his way when they can't figure it out, so I'm hoping his equipment is top notch!

Blue
Won't start - kithmo
Black smoke indicates over fuelling, possibly leaky/dribbling injectors dumping excess fuel in the cylinders whilst it's stood overnight. Try starting it with your foot pressed fully down on the accelerator (WOT), don't pump it up and down, just hold it down. This will clear the cylinders and it will probably start, but it won't cure the fault.
-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
Won't start - elekie&a/c doctor
A blockage in the exhaust could cause all the symptons you describe.These v6 2.5 engines give very little trouble on engine management system.hth
Won't start - Blue {P}
Ah, I wish I;d tried that earlier, I was pumping it a little in case I flooded it or something.

Incidentally, who renamed my thread? I didn't say this was a 2005 Mondeo anywhere and now it's caused confusion on my thread over in discussion! Don't fix what ain't broken, Mondeo II was quite specific enough! :-)

Blue
Won't start - ChicksFan
There sometimes seems to be too much editing of threads by administrators on this forum. Anyone who can read can see it is a 2000 2.5 Mondeo.

I'm an administrator on another forum and I assume that Thread Authors have enough intelligence to get their posts right.

Sometimes people make mistakes, but when it is an administrator making them it can reduce confidence in the forum.
1995 C280 Elegance (for comfort)
1995 Corsa Swing (for daily commute)
2005 206CC Allure (for fun)
Won't start - Pugugly {P}
Its been corrected now. One error by a senior moderator and all the knives are out !
Won't start - ChicksFan
Too true! Any opportunity!

Don't worry, keep your chin up. You're doing a grand job really.

Ron
Won't start - Blue {P}
But is it not true that as soon as people become senior-anything they instantly become totally perfect and never make mistakes? No? Must just be my team that thinks that ;-)

Blue
Won't start - Pugugly {P}
Well it if you note it was senior with a lower case "s" rather than a rank. I'm not mentioning any names just follow my eyes.

Meanwhile on the Mondeo problem we were debating.
2000 2.5 v6 - Won't start - Flycog
Hi chaps, Dont think this applies to your problem but i have known a case on this engine where the timing chain has slipped a tooth due to a faulty tensioner. No valve to piston contact but it just would not run. Had the diagnostics monkey baffled, but a new chain and tensioner cured the problem, hard to believe i know.
Flycog.
2000 2.5 v6 - Won't start - Blue {P}
She's all better!

Turned out to be the sparks, apparently they looked ancient, that'll teach me not to trust a FSH again! :-)

Anyway, they also cleaned out the secondaries which apparently were almost totally choked with muck and repaired the IMRC that had an intermittent problem according to the computer.

She's like brown stuff off a shovel now. :-D

Blue