What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2004 (54 reg) Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - stuartl
Hope someone has some ideas on this!

My Mum has a 54 reg Jazz which has been for it's first MOT today at 20 000 miles.

Although it passed (after two new front tyres were fitted beforehand) it had an advisory that, quote, " The steering system is slightly tight"

The friend who took it for her remarked when he returned it to Mum that the steering was indeed a lot tighter than one would expect for that car. Mum never noticed it as she only drives her car and no others to compare it with. I suggested she checked the PAS fluid level although I cant imagine that would need topping up.

I also asked her if she had bumped up any kerbs and her momentary pause said it all; it appears she does this often : o (

I said she might have damaged the rack - is this possible, probable or not?

Thanks as always for any input

Stuart

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/11/2007 at 18:54

Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - Simon
If its just within its warranty, which it should be if you've had the MOT done with a few days grace, get it down to a Honda dealer to be checked out asap.
2004 (54 reg) Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - grease monkey
"The friend who took it for her remarked when he returned it to Mum that the steering was indeed a lot tighter than one would expect for that car. Mum never noticed it as she only drives her car and no others to compare it with. I suggested she checked the PAS fluid level although I cant imagine that would need topping up."

The honda jazz has electronic power steering & does not have any hydraulic fluid in the system, the feel you get through the steering is very different to that of a traditional fluid based power steering system & unless you drive the jazz all the time your first impressions are of it feeling strange & lifeless ,but once adjusted to its characteristics you soon adapt.That said with this car just 3 yrs old & proberbly just out of warranty a quick visit to the local dealer to get it checked out might be reassuring.i have changed several of these steering racks at work after customer complaints of vagueness & poor feel through the steering so get it checked if poss.
--
if it aint broke don`t fix it
2004 (54 reg) Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - nortones2
It would make sense if there is some form of sensor to detect movement, that the rate of response might alter with time, or even be altered to give more or less weight to the steering feedback. Perhaps a Honda tech could clarify?
Thanks for that grease monkey and all the other replies.
As suggested, Mum is JUST within her three year warranty period, (she thought it was two) and the car is going into Honda on Friday for a check. I will report the findings and many thanks again for your replys on this,

Stuart

Edited by stuartl on 14/11/2007 at 21:29

2004 (54 reg) Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - christo
Good advise from Grease Monkey.

Our second car is a Honda Jazz and a great little car it is. The power steering is different in the fact that it is electrically assisted, not the conventional hydraulic belt driven pump. As such the steering does feel slightly different, being slightly firm to move from position but when the wheel is rotating feels like a conventional system. Just take a little getting used to.

Maybe more cars will go this way regarding their power steering set up as I think it may take less power from the engine to power it, hence improving fuel economy.

In summary, I reckon all is ok an I think your Honda dealer will confirm this.
2004 (54 reg) Steering 'Tight' MOT advice - Bill Payer
As such the steering does feel slightly different

I think this maybe varies by car - most, of not all, small cars use electric power steering.

Mrs BP has had a Jazz for 4 yrs and I don't notice anything good or bad about the steering at all - it just steers! I usually drive a Merc but don't have any "concerns" going from one to the other.

However older daughter's Ibiza is stupidly light - I assume it's same as Polo and should therefore be adjustable for weight in 6 steps, but she's happy with it as is. That car is remarkable for running straight and true though - there a mile straight near where we live and it will run straight the whole way.

Younger daughter's Colt definitely has the straight ahead stickiness.
Update on my Mum's Jazz steering.

Firstly, thanks to Simon who indicated that the car should have a three year warranty.
My Mum thought it was two years so she managed to get the car into Honda within a few days of the warranty expiring.

Honda confirmed that it needed a new steering rack and said that the car was DANGEROUS to drive as it was.

This was rather alarming as the car had passed it's first MOT a few days before with just an advisory on the steering.

Mum was given a hire car and told that the part would take a few days to arrive and then work would start. I told her to call the garage and say that no work should be done until it has been confirmed that the cost is covered under warranty.

Honda dealer called back when the part had arrived to say that the work would be carried out under warranty.

My Mum was very impressed by the Honda Dealer who kept her informed very well. She asked the service receptionist what the fault was with the rack (well, I asked her to ask!!) and the mechanic who did the work actually called her back and said it was 'wear and tear' and that they had 'done a few of these'.

At 20,000 miles that is a bit worrying but overall Mum is happy, the car that she raves about is back and she has no bill to pay, again thanks to Simon who alerted me to the fact that the car should have a three year warranty

Edited by stuartl on 24/11/2007 at 20:30