What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - sundance
I have a problem, my 1.5 diesel S reg, starts most times. But sometimes It just turns over but does not fire, like the fuel cut off soleniod is stuck. Been reading various links on this subject. I have found the relay in front of the alternator, not sure if this is where the prob is. or how to un-plug it to check the condition of the connection. I saw mentioned that it only costs £15 and takes about 30 mins to correct. Could someone please let me know what to do?
The car runs fine once started and never cuts out.

Thanks

Pete

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2008 at 18:47

1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - 659FBE
The problem is almost certainly the immobiliser reader coil which is located around the ignition lock barrel. These Valeo units become intermittent because of poor detailing on the aerial coil connector pins.

Remove the shrouds around the steering column, then the reader coil assembly just pulls off the lock barrel with a small connector to disengage. New ones from PSA are not too dear.

If you're able or brave enough, open the unit, remove the pc board and clean the pins of the aerial coil with an india rubber so as not to destroy the plating. Check the pin alignment and correct if necessary (it's usually out) and then give the pins a light smear of vaseline. Re assemble, but file the moulding slightly so that the connector engages fully. Secure the pc board inside the moulding with a blob of Blutack so the connector remains fully mated.

I have done this re-work a few times now and it has never failed. Thanks, Valeo.

1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - sundance
Thanks for the ifo, will give it a try at the weekend.

Pete
1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - sundance
Thanks for your help, I changed the reader coil assembly today, cost £16.84 inc. vat. took me 30mins, mainly to get the bottom part of the shroud back on. Everything seems fine now.

Pete
1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - kipb
Thanks 659FBE. I think this has solved my son's year-long problem too (R Reg 1998 Zest 2).
Users of the Haynes Manual (All models 1991-2002) beware! It makes no mention of the immobiliser, or the immobiliser reader coil, does not include it in the wiring diagram, and does not suggest it as a possible reason why the car might not start. Nor does the manual mention that the cut off solenoid is inaccessible under its cast iron cover. Black mark to Haynes.
1.5 diesel intermittent non start. - Screwloose
I think that there may be a very obvious reason why security circuits are always omitted from wiring diagrams; [even frighteningly-expensive professional sets] as the manufacturers would rather not give away how they work and exactly what they immobilize.

Edited by Screwloose on 04/02/2008 at 15:24