What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - JohnX
With my current and first diesel a VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130 bhp,I'm firmly hooked on diesel cars , now looking at something more powerful with better handling...

Current criteria
Large engine, max Bhp
Good handling ,and reliability-that rules out all SUVs!
Size -large Saloon size
Budget up to 20k
After a lot of research ,it seems that the Japanese diesels aren't as reliable as their German counterpart hence seem to be left with 3-4 alternatives

Test drove a 320 d last week and wasn't very impressed, could be to do with the rear wheel drive, felt a little unsettled,as I came out of a roundabout and floored the pedal. Perhaps an all wheel drive would be a better option as i have seen that a backroomer lost control in the recent past with a rear wheel drive Honda recently..

Current alternatives
BMW 530d-approx 231 BHP, very refined ,reasonable mileage,however rear wheel drive and cheaper compared to an Audi A6 3litre.However rear wheel drive, which ? may not be an issue, however has brilliant handling and more than adequate power and torque..Disadvantages a mite too flash and provokes resentment from all other drivers-experienced it well in my test drives with the 320d!

Audi A6 3 litre -230 Bhp , has a manual option ,perhaps handling may not be as class leading as the BMW , however as this has 4 wheel drive, this may not be as significant.

Prefer a manual stick, although wouldn't mind an auto..
Merc E classes -not much info however are Mercs a bit too flash, too much attention provoking.
Any other alternatives ??
Any thoughts anyone....

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 14:25

Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Westpig
there's some right good deals on the Jag S Type at the moment as the new XF is looming. The twin turbo diesel 2.7 is a cracking engine, apparently one of the best on the market. The SE trim is the one to have.

BHP is about 200 or so, but it's torque you want to look at with a diesel isn't it?

the diesel model will give my 3 litre petrol (240bhp) a run for its money on the figures and having driven one i can well believe it...very good car.

Edited by Westpig on 14/10/2007 at 14:24

Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - GroovyMucker
Subaru diesel's out next year.
Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - gordonbennet
Only my opinion but i aways find diesel power delivery suits a proper auto not helltronic as fitted by various manufacturers.

Surprised you found the 320d handling a bit suspect was it on dodgy tyres? (risking it now)

Anyway the 320 isn't really any more gutsy than the passat.

Don't think you'll find diesels with any more sheer guts than the German 6 pots certainly not with the reliability you can expect.
Test drove a e class 320td Absolutely terryfying power and auto a must.

The handling of these big RWD motors i reckon is unbeatable, maybe gets a little getting used to but once used you will not want another FWD.

Go try a Merc 6 cyl diesel auto turn right onto a wet main road under full power i assure you no drama no wheelspin just absolutely safe effortless and constant acceleration.

You want 2005 onwards with merc e class and that should be in your budget.

I find these German motors are just coming into their own when other cars have run out of puff (obviously only discovered on the track).

The only other car maybe in your area could be Lexus 220d would be surprised if you can get any bad reports on these, but don't know if it would impress you power wise compared to a German 3 or 3.2 td.

Don't worry about the marque image thing, probably most posts on here are tonque in cheek anyway (and just a little envious) about BMW's get motor you want and ignore the comments

ttfn
Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Happy Blue!
If you want a big barge of a saloon with a diesel engine - you want an E-class 320. Just an amazing way to drive and great with nice 5-speed tiptronic.
Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - daveyjp
Or save some cash and buy the same car with a Chrysler 300C badge on it.
Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - quizman

>>>was it on dodgy tyres? (risking it now)

How dare you criticise Chinese tyres!

Help me to choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - gordonbennet

How dare you criticise Chinese tyres!

Flippin eck memory man or what
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - LHM
Citroën C6?
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - runboy
What about a Volvo S80 D5 geartronic thingy. Or a VW Phatoen do-dar?
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Slightlyfatdirector
The Geartronic is an Auto. Go for a manual D5 S60 or S80 (S60 looks nicer IMHO - well, I have one). People also tend to get out of my way thinking I may be an unmarked plod car. 185hp or 163 hp. The 185 has 300nm torque I seem to remember. Mine is the 163ho with 250nm and it shifts like the proverbial off a well greased shovel.
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Ed V
If flash bothers you, think French or anything not German!
Peugeot 605, Citroen C6 or C5?
Why do you need big with handling and BHP? Where do you frive that enables you, legally, to risk a spin? 95% of your driving will be cruising at 75 or crawling at 25. What's the point? Are you really a Beemer pretending to be a Rover-man?
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Squiffy
What about something like a Skoda Octavia VRS TD?

You'd get a well specced new one for your budget, great performance and handling, plus a reliable and well sorted car with good residuals when you come to sell it on.

And yes, I do have one. Had it 2.5 weeks now and very happy with it.
Help me choose-Large Diesel engine Q Barge! - Hamsafar
VW Phaeton 3.0d