What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - mondeo lover
hi all.
im possibly going to buy a w reg 2.0ltr petrol automatic estate mondeo. 80 k, fsh, 2 owners. it is the first time i will have bought an auto, is there anything i should know about the model itself ? what should i look out for regarding the auto box?. i currently own a 98 petrol mondeo verona and cant fault it!!! but as i have another baby on the way and a border collie a estate is a must, any help is much appreciated.
kevin.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 11/10/2007 at 22:37

W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - MichaelR
The Mk2 Mondeo is an excellent, cheap to run, reliable car. With one exception - the autobox.

Very unreliable, its a case of when it will fail not if. Most go between 70k and 130k.
W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - GregSwain
Most go between 70k and 130k.

Usually closer to 70k. Ford have since stopped making their own autoboxes, and for a good reason. Don't buy an automatic Ford, other than the Focus (autobox borrowed from Mazda) and MK3 Mondeo (ZF autobox IIRC).

If auto is a must, go Japanese/Korean.
W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - Marc
What about the Galaxy auto? Is that a VW or VW sourced gearbox?
W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - Ruperts Trooper
If auto is a must, go Japanese/Korean >>

Or buy a car with a Japanese autobox like the Aisin-Warner - as well as Toyota who build it, it's used in Lexus, Volvo and Vauxhall.
W reg mondeo auto 2.0 petrol estate - GregSwain
What about the Galaxy auto? Is that a VW or VW sourced gearbox?

Yes I have a feeling it is, although all recent Fords will be fine as Ford gave up on autobox-building a few years ago. The Mondeo the OP wants would be one of the last Fords with Ford autoboxes.

Edited by GregSwain on 12/10/2007 at 20:35