What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
yr 2002, 1.6 Exhaust Manifold - gadgee
My 2002 Focus 1.6 Zetec has covered 88k. I recently noticed that the exhaust was getting a bit noisy. On checking underneath, the flexible joint ( a wire mesh thing) between the manifold and the exhaust has started to break up inside the mesh. Been told by Ford that you have to renew the whole manifold as you cannot get a separate joint. Cost about £180 plus labour of up to 3 hours. At Ford rates that is £60 per hour! Has anyone else had this problem or would like to comment please?

Edited by Webmaster on 11/10/2007 at 19:02

FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - L'escargot
At Ford
rates that is £60 per hour!

Ford doesn't set the labour rate, it's the dealer which does that. The Ford dealer I go to doesn't charge anything like £60/hour. Shop around.
--
L\'escargot.
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - bell boy
just go to a place that does exhausts for a living,you get a fixed price ,sit back, have a coffee ,let those air guns whirl.
3 hours labour ,nice if you can get it
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - gadgee
Thanks for your responses. No I had no plans to use the Ford dealer other than to get the bits. My local independent is doing it for £29 per hour and they are familiar with the task. What I was really interested in was whether anyone else has a Focus which has had a similar problem? The previous cars I have owned over my life never needed anything other than a replacement exhaust or part thereof. Manifolds have never needed replacing. This must be something new, with Focus's in particular?
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - jc2
It's similar on all cars now.
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - jc2
To meet St. IV emissions,most vehicles use close-coupled catalysts where the catalyst is very close to or part of the exhaust manifold-good for the environment but not for your pocket!!
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - Pete Mansell
My Mark1 1.6 Focus had this problem at around 70k miles. Ford RapidFit replaced the complete manifold and flexible bit for around £200. Apparently this isn't uncommon on the Focus (on the mark1 at least).
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - gadgee
Pete
I live in northeast England and my Ford Rapidfit want £175 for the parts only with labour of £60 per hour on top. Your manifold was probably easy to replace at that price. It can take anything between 1 - 3 hours depending on rusted bolts etc.
FOCUS EXHAUST MANIFOLD - elvabanfer
just go to a place that does exhausts for a living,you get a fixed price ,sit back, have a coffee ,let those air guns whirl. 3 hours labour ,nice if you can get it

I know a few years have passed since this thread was being discussed, but wanted to let anyone else know who has this problem a few things;

I have a 2002 focus 1.6 Zetec with 120,000 miles and the front pipe/exhaust has been blowing for about 3 and a half years giving me no problems, other than it sounding a little throatier. Recently I had the clutch and selector swapped and I think the turmoil of being bumped about have made the exhaust even louder at the mesh section near the CAT. You can buy one 2nd hand in good nick off of fleebay from £30, but I went to a local independent garage who are supplying and fitting for £103 inc VAT

Edited by elvabanfer on 02/02/2011 at 10:40