What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cambelt tensioner/guide roller torque settings ? - cheddar
Hi,

2002, 2.0 Zetec engine, anyone know the torque settings for the guide roller and tensioner, Haynes gives all settings but for these two.

Many thanks.
Cambelt tensioner/guide roller torque settings ? - Screwloose
cheddar

For an EDDB/F engine code; the ribbed idler is 40Nm and the tensioner is 25Nm.
Thanks screwloose

Not sure about the code, are all 2002 Zetec's EDDB/F? I would guess all 1.8 / 2.0 Zetec's would be the same in this regard anyway.

Strange the difference between idler and tensioner because the bolts are the same IIRC and both go into the same cast iron block, 25Nm seems very low for a steel bolt into cast iron.

Much appreciated, Regards.
cheddar

There are always different versions - and different years of those versions - to all engines. Then manufacturers complicate things further by updating previously published settings in-service.

That's why it's always dangerous to give advice "blind" for all engine versions. Data subscribers will normally ring up for the very latest info before starting an unfamiliar belt job. It's that critical.

Some of these engine from '99-on don't even have the lower guide roller. EDDB was the first version; EDDF the last you'll likely have on an '02. The code is on the cam-belt cover label.

And just to clarify; the ribbed-belt idler is for the "fan" belt idler - not the cam-belt guide roller.
Thanks screwloose.

My Dad is doing the cambelt etc on his Focus, 100 miles plus from me so I cannot see it though it apparently has a guide roller below one cam sprocket and the tensioner below the other so the path of the belt is a "T" shape.

Haynes does not give torque setting for the bolts for the guide roller and tentioner, they both go in to the alloy head so 25Nm is perhaps right, i.e. if the 40Nm is for the fan belt idler then perhaps the cambelt guide roller AND tensioner should be the same 25Nm?

In the absence of setting in Haynes Dad potentially overtightened the guide roller bolt though broke the bolt, the thread is fine (phew), he is now going to get a new bolt for both the guide roller and the tensioner (which themselves are both new) in case the tensioner bolt was also damaged by over tightening - then torque as required.

The question, is 25Nm correct for both then?

Best regards.
cheddar

No torque settings given for the guide-roller bolt in either of my data sources; but if it's the same thread and grade of bolt [8.8?] into similar metal then it's not unreasonable to think that it'll be the same torque.
Many thanks Screwloose.