What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 speedometer - gadgee
I run a 2002 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 5 door hatch with 86000 miles covered. Recently the speedo has started to "flicker "occasionally between 50 - 70 mph. Is the speed sensor on its last legs, or is it something else? Comments gratefully accepted. Thanks....

Tweaked subject line to include model year and symptom - PU
02 Focus speedometer - mikej
The classic failing VSS symptom is the speedo needle dropping to zero. This can happen momentarily or last (in my case) for a few minutes. You can also get loss of odometer reading (goes to ---/---/--- or something similar) and also (more seriously) complete loss of power.

In my case, the latter resulted in me pulling over to the side of the road, waiting a few minutes and then driving off as normal.

I was quite lucky - there's a pic in this thread of what could happen if you're unlucky : www.focusowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23448&hi...s

I don't want to scare you unnecessarily (I drove round for months with mine misbehaving), but I just want to advise that you get it looked at ASAP just in case it is the VSS.

I changed mine myself but it's not a job for the faint-hearted, as it can be incredibly difficult to remove.

One of my posts is here : www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15028&...3

Cheers.
Mike.
02 Focus speedometer - gadgee
Mike

Thanks for all the info. I just took it to our local independent garage for a check and they cleaned the contacts which had slight corrosion. This is in line with Honest Johns "car by car breakdown" section in this web site which says that a clean of the contacts may fix it. Anyway will keep an eye on it but as it has not dropped to zero yet, I am not going to pay up for a new sensor right now!
02 Focus speedometer - gadgee
All change. Driving through a town at 30mph after a 30 min motorway journey and the speedo dropped to zero, then around to 140mph in a split second! Car still drove ok but the avc was set on the radio, so consequently the volume went wild! Asked my local independent to replace the VSS this tuesday - £25 plus labour.
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - injection doc
Normally speed sensor but it doesn't have to be changed without live data info first, if you use the right diagnostic gear a live reading can be taken off the sensor to confirm thatsthe problem hence takes the guessing away. I have had a few boxes run low on oil & the diff bearings wear allowing the diff to move side to side causing intermitant speedo & there is an earthing fault in the door pillars which can effect the dash
Regards Doc
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - gadgee
Injection doc
Thanks for that. Just had the sensor renewed. Cost £77 including parts and labour. Will now see whether it is cured or not??
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - waj
my 03 1.6 focus started to play up today the speedo,rev counter,water temp,and odometer started to flick from zero to the correct level during a ten mile journey after a few hours i drove the car again and it was perfect i have been reading about the vss,could this cause all these problems or does anyone have any ideas.thanks waj
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - Screwloose
waj

Sounds like your dashpod is failing.
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - injection doc
Dash boards do fail!, sometimes just a dry joint on back but you need to get the earth wire checked for tighness in the o/s pillar, prone to comming loose & causing your symptoms. Woth a check on the focus owners web site
Doc
02 Focus speedometer "flickering" - gadgee
If you look in Honest John's car by car breakdown on this site it says about the Focus - " A faulty VSS may affect other instruments and warning lights. Traction control light may come on together with engine management light. Fuel economy might drop. Acceleration may be affected"