What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Cam Belt - JamieSmith
Hi - Having recently passed my test and buying a Ford Focus Y reg 1.8 Zetec with 83k on the clock I have become worried by people telling me I need to change the Cam Belt before the engine melts down.

The car does make a coughy gurgly sound at very low revs but sounds fine once into its stride.

Do I get it change? If so how much am I looking at in an independant garage?

Thanks for any help in advance
Ford Focus Cam Belt - jc2
The sound will be nothing to do with the belt.
So take it in and get it looked at?
Ford Focus Cam Belt - DavidHM
I don't know what a coughy, gurgly sound might be ... but if you haven't bought the car yet I wouldn't bother finding out.

Whereabouts in the country are you?
Ford Focus Cam Belt - Graemetdci
The Focus has a 10 year/100,000 mile recommended change interval for the cambelt although some people advocate changing the belt a bit earlier, around the 80000 mile mark for peace of mind. It's generally not the belt that goes but the tensioners etc. Has the car had its belt changed before? If not, it may be worthwhile getting it changed for peace of mind and make sure to get the whole lot done - ie. belt and tensioners etc. A Ford dealer will cost around the £220-250 mark while Ford's Rapidfit outfits do it for a bit less - I was quoted around £185 all in (belt and tensioners - I think they come together as part of a kit) for my Focus TDCi. An independent may be slightly less again.
I appreciate the help very much - I will take it to Dagenham Fords and ask them to do it
Thanks agian for all the help
I have already bought the car! - I am in London
Ford Focus Cam Belt - DP
Getting it done early is a good decision.

I changed the belt on our 1.4 Fiesta Zetec at 85k and there was noticeable play on the tensioner bearings. The belt itself was in good condition though.

I've heard it's always the tensioners that let these down rather than the belts themselves, but the belt swap will include a new tensioner if done at a Ford dealer (or any competent indie). You can then forget about the cambelt altogether for the duration of your ownership of the car.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Ford Focus Cam Belt - John F

I changed the belt on our 1.4 Fiesta Zetec at 85k and there was noticeable
play on the tensioner bearings. The belt itself was in good condition though.
I've heard it's always the tensioners that let these down rather than the belts themselves

Is it easy to change just the tensioner? Years ago I changed a whining tension pulley [about to seize]on our Passat 2.0GL and left the pristine-looking belt alone. It was still OK at 240,000 miles.

If it works, don't mend it!
Ford Focus Cam Belt - Screwloose
JohnF

Replacing a tensioner usually involves re-tensioning the belt. That is the great no-no. In the early days of cam-belts, it was refitting them that caused them to snap.

Only the gas/spring tensioned belts are safe to re-fit; the tension stays the same. Other than those, if it comes off - it stays off.