Mondeo Fuel Gauge - stuartl
Yes, another possible problem. When I bought the Mondeo (1997 2 litre Model) the guy told me he had filled it up with fuel. I now know that he is a habitual liar.

The fuel guage reads MAX all the time, even with ignition off. Is the car full of fuel or is it just shorting out causing it to read max?

I guess my main question is;

Should the fuel gauge return to 'empty' with the ignition off. I know some cars where the gauge stays up but should THIS one??

Cheers!!
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - Boggy
Nope - should return to empty. Sensor fault methinks. Don't let it get too near the red either, Ford fuel guages are habitual liars......
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - Armitage Shanks {p}
The Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003. This reverses the burden of proof so that if goods go faulty within six months after purchase it is deemed they were faulty at the time of purchase and the trader has the onus of proving that the item is not defective due to a manufacturing defect.

Mondeo Fuel Gauge - mfarrow
Nope - should return to empty. Sensor fault methinks.

If it was designed to go to empty then it would fall due to gravity - balance is the only thing holding the fixed ones up. If what you say is true then the gauge must be at fault.

But personally I would sooner drop the tank first than fiddle around behind the dash.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - DP
But personally I would sooner drop the tank first than fiddle around behind the dash.

You can get to the sender and wiring on the Mondeo without disturbing the tank. Tip the rear seat base forward as if you're going to fold the rear seats, and you'll see a rubber bung about the diameter of a saucer. Prise it out, and hey presto, there's the sender and its wiring connector directly under the hole.

If only this thinking had extended to the front suspension.....

Cheers
DP
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - bell boy
how would the front suspension work if it was fitted under rear seat squab?
to stuarti if you find any pound coins under the squab i bags em first
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - DP
how would the front suspension work if it was fitted under rear seat squab?

Lol. I meant if the same consideration to ease of maintenance and access had been applied to it.

The front end of a Mondeo is a DIY nightmare.

Mondeo Fuel Gauge - Lud
Ford fuel guages are habitual liars......

All mass-produced car fuel gauges are misleading. You have to be cautious and learn what they mean. Of course a faulty one in an unfamiliar car can cause you to run out of fuel, but only once usually... The commonest fault is to read full or nearly full for ages, then go down like a stone.

Proper big thirsty cars used to have a reserve you could turn on when the main tenk ran dry.

I have never seen the low fuel light in my present car, a Ford. You can get the gauge down to zero without it coming on or even flickering. Does it work? I don't want to know enough to find out the hard way.
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - Waino
Stuart, I'm not sure how to interpret your question. Do you mean that the gauge reads MAX all the time - even when you've done a few hundred miles? Or - do you mean simply that you bought it and the gauge read MAX with and without ignition?

I have a '97 2L Mondeo and the gauge maintains its reading even with the ignition turned off - unlike SWMBO's Focus where the gauge instantly drops to zero when the ignition is off.

After filling the Mondeo, there is no movement of the fuel gauge for the first hundred miles or so - then it starts to drop. These things tend not to be completely linear.
>>>>>I have a '97 2L Mondeo and the gauge maintains its reading even with the ignition turned off - unlike SWMBO's Focus where the gauge instantly drops to zero when the ignition is off.

Waino this is very interesting! The guy we bought the car from told us it was full of fuel but he was a lying ******* so we assumed the gauge was caput.

My wife went to put some fuel in today and only got £8 worth in before the pump clicked off so we know the car IS full of fuel now.

I guess we'll wait and see if we have a long drive what the gauge does.

Many thanks

Stuart
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - jc2
There are different types of fuel gauges fitted to Fords and other makes;some retain the reading when you turn off the ignition-others reset to zero each time.
I guess we'll wait and see if we have a long drive what the gauge does.>>

Stuart - a couple of points.

I have run the Mondeo since it was new, first as my company car and subsequently after buying it from the company - and the gauge has always behaved in this way. If I fill the tank up and set off on a long steady run, there's virtually no movement of the gauge for 120 miles.

My car is the petrol estate and I can normally get 400 miles out of a tank full.
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - rtj70
I had a few Mondeos as hire cars back around this time. And seem to recall the fuel guage as Waino says does not go down when the ignition was off. It's like ten years ago but remember being thrown.

Maybe this is the one thing that is not broken on this. Read the other posts ;-)
Maybe this is the one thing that is not broken on this. Read the other
posts ;-) >>

Are you referring to my beloved ol' Mondy, rtj? If so, that is exactly what I was thinking on the way over to Snetterton this morning ;-)
I suspect rtj was referring to my Mondy! BUT......all seems to be well at the moment! Everything works (or appears to!!) Well, I just need to sort the spare key and remote c/l but thats another story!!

Its a great car, luxurious and cheap.

: o )
Well I just need to sort the spare keyand remote c/l but thats another story!!>>

Stuart, this is wandering off the original topic but, if you manage to get your 'remote' going again, can you post on here and let us know how you did it. My remote hasn't worked for a couple of years despite a new battery in the key. The actual 'central' locking still works fine using the keys in the lock. It is only a minor inconvenience to have to put your dressing gown on when, last thing at night, you can't remember if you locked the car doors - well, not so good if it's raining ;-)
Waino, I have joined the Ford Mondeo Owners Club Forum and a guy has given me links to a place for keys and on how to reprogramme your transmitter. I'll look the links up and post them on here under a new heading : o )
Success! Done a 200 mile round trip in the car today which was as smooth as silk, didn't miss a beat and YES the fuel guage went down! Many thanks for all advice on this,

Stuart
stuartl I was referring to your Mondy. When I had then as hire cars my company car was a Vectra C. Mondy drove a lot better but the interior let it down.

My current Mondy is the previous model (might have one of the new ones) after the face lift with a Euro IV diesel. Before the facelift I really disliked the interior and now just about acceptable.

Mondy's as second buys (TDCi aside) will probably always be good buys and drives.
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - keithd
I had the problem of the remote not working, but I could still lock the car with the key. I cured this by removing the blue connector which sits in front of the ECU for about 30 seconds and then replacing it. The ECU is under the dash on the driver's side just above the pedals.

Also, my fuel gauge stays on full for at least 100 miles before moving and the needle does not move when the ignition is switched off.
Just to add to my post above. I had the key in the ignition when I removed the connector, although I did not turn on the ignition. I'm not sure if it was necessary for the key to be in the ignition, but it was the way I did it.
The problem I have is that I dont have the remote at all! I bought the car with just one ordinary key so I need to source a remote blip or key with one and the immobiliser chip in order to make it all work.

rtj, I like the Mondy interior in my car which is a Ghia model. Its very comfortable, has a nice level of trim and is far nicer than the BMW 318i I had before this. I much prefer it to the Vectra interior; we had Vauxhalls for many years and never liked the very dark interiors.
The interior was liveable. The Vectra was bland - and to drive too. But you inherit you first company car and then sometimes try to swap to get a little better. Finally got to choose and got a Golf GTi 1.8T... which was nicked within 6 months
>>>> But you inherit you first company car and then sometimes try to swap to get a little better.

My company asked me what I wanted and ordered it for me. Ok, it was a van but it was the best of the bunch that I asked for and I got it

: o )
We're talking quite a while ago, but when you first got a company car it tended to come from those that had come back into the pool - people sacked/made redundant/left :-(

Current Mondo I think is playing up again which should be :-( but I happen to know the lease company has made no money on it. Wonder if I can persuade them to replace a few months early... it might either be leaking fuel system on the TDCi again or the EGR. Diesel consumption recently gone up so there's a clue.
I cured this by removing the blue connector which sits in front of the ECU for about 30 seconds and then replacing it. The ECU is under the dash on the driver's side just above the pedals. >>

Keith, I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct connector. I can see 3 connectors - blue, green and grey side by side, just above the accelerator pedal - each with a sheath of wires going in it. Is this the blue one that you mean? Thanks.
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - The Purifier
Same with my Volvo. Nearly took it back to the dealer as faulty when I first got it cause the fuel gauge didn't move for over 100 miles! The needle falls quickly thereafter!
I've never been so pleased to see a fuel gauge drop but I agree, I now want it to slow down!!!!!
I've never been so pleased to see a fuel gauge drop but I agree I now want it to slow down!!!!!>>

See how many miles you get out of a tankful. My 400 miles would include a few longer runs, but it drops severely when it's mostly 'in town' stuff with cold starts. I tend to drive with a fairly light right foot!
Waino,
You are looking at the correct connector. The blue one is the furthest away from the driver's door i.e. the one to the left as you look at them. Good luck!
Mondeo Fuel Gauge - TurboD
What about the trip computer?, this tells you how many miles you have left?
is a guide to the position. It does fall non incrementally. I have averaged 36mpg on holiday in Ireland over 1500 mls ( 2L Estate)
as for keys, dealer charged me £130 for a new programmed fob and key, I could not live with just one and a 'spare'