What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Commuting into London by motorbike - DP
I work in W1, and I've just found out that I can leave my bike in the underground car park at our office (It's Fort Knox basically - gated and blanket CCTV coverage). This opens up a realistic chance to do something I've been thinking about for a year now - start commuting on the ZZR every day.

This will halve my journey time, more than halve the cost of my current car/Tube mix, and once out of town at least, be a heck of a lot more fun. One thing is stopping me though. I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I am nervous at the prospect of riding into London every day. I've had my licence for 4 years, and am generally a pretty confident rider, but something about dicing with impatient/psychotic couriers and the Yummy Mummies in 4x4's fills me with dread, despite the advantages outlined above. Part of me thinks it's me building it up to be worse than it is, but I guess I'm looking for any experiences or reassurance anyone can offer.

My commute will take me up the M3 and A316 after which I have a few options to get across to Baker Street (and the office).

Cheers
DP
Commuting into London by motorbike - martint123
Check the bikesafe website and see if any plod near you is doing courses.
Most of my biking was pleasure and avoiding traffic and towns, when the half day bikesafe workshop ran up here a couple of years ago, I mentioned that I was a bit inexperienced of rush hour traffic so we did a bit of this - amazing how rapidly a fully equipped cop bike can get through traffic!.
Other than that check out some of the advanced trainers who can give confidence building advice for commuting.

Martin
Commuting into London by motorbike - mazdaboy
I used to live in Twickenham, commuting every working day into town on a Bandit.

It can be hard work filtering on the A316, and frankly not much fun until you reach the wider lanes on the A4; I'd be tempted to exit the M3, head up the M25 and use the rather excellent M4 bus/bike lane into town, a route that'll drop you quite nicely down into Baker St. Also probably much quicker than the meander up through Hammersmith, Kensington etc, actually.

London biking can be daunting, but a regular route will become familiar (always avoiding the temptation to become complacent, as yoiu'll appreciate) and danger points will become lessened as you become more familiar with the run.

I'm now further out in Surrey, but commute by bike into town as regularly as I can.

If you think ahead and read the subliminal warnings of car driver's intentions, stated or not, then it's a hoot. Take it at your own pace, as well. give the nutter bikes/couriers space to 'make progress' and enjoy the ride.

You won't look back once you've started!
Commuting into London by motorbike - Pugugly {P}
The only thing I can suggest is a dry run in on a Sunday perhaps, the traffic won't be quite as heavy, in fact go in as soon as daylight allows, at least it will prepare you for the onslaught on the working day. Enjoy it.
Thanks all for the helpful responses! Much appreciated. I guess it's really a case of going at my own pace and trying not to keep up with or get in the way of the loons. Good thinking on the Bikesafe and on the dry run on a weekend.

Mazdaboy - good call on the M4. The clockwise M25 is pretty quiet when I use it in the mornings, so it would be no hassle to nip round to the M4. Would you recommend coming off at Chiswick, picking up the North Circular round to Hangar Lane, and then following the A40 all the way in, or would you recommend sticking on the A4 for a bit further?

Cheers again all!
DP
Commuting into London by motorbike - henry k
Over the past several years I have covered part of your route but by car.
I have tried all sorts of routes and these are my best.
They may not look the obvious but take into account traffic lights etc.

The routes I use between the "Tin flyover" ( A316 / A4 Hogarth roundabout) and Marylebone Rd.

A4 over Hammersmith and take the 1st left (opp Barons Court tube stn) Glidden Rd
Right into Edith Road and 1st back left Aurial Rd.
Which brings you to a right turn onto A315 Hammersmith Rd.
I guess being on a bike , pass Olympia and turn left at the Hilton / Bristol Show rooms on to the A3220 to Shepherds Bush roundabout and straight on up to the A40 Westway.
(But I usually cross over the A3220 into Blythe Rd, Hazlitt Rd, Sinclair Rd and right into Addison Gardens to rejoin the A3220 which avoids Olympia)

I do not know what it is like filtering on a bike but in a car an alternative to the Harrow Rd flyover is to take the Paddington slip to Paddington Station, Praed St and rejoin the the Marylebone Rd at ground level.

My return route.
A40 all the way until it comes down to ground level beyond White City( beware Gatso)
Ist left into Bloemfotein Rd. Riight into Uxbridge Rd A4020
3rd? left Percy Rd and through to turn left onto B408
Right on the A402 Goldhawke Rd to A315 Chiswick High Rd
and then left on the A316 to Hogarth roundabout.

Happy commuting.

Commuting into London by motorbike - Lud
Take your space.

Stay calm.

Don't hurry.

Watch your mirrors.

Give everything a foot more space than seems necessary.

Watch out for idiot pedestrians. They can't tell the difference between you and a tank.

Remember, they - pedestrians and four-wheel drivers both - want to kill you. Not really, but sort of.

You should be all right.

I speak not from experience but perception.
By the way, might be better to hurtle along the south bank and turn left at the appropriate moment. But you will have to suss it out.
Commuting into London by motorbike - cheddar
Agree with the M4 suggestion, otherwise A316 to Richmond, (then perhaps Kew Road to join the A4 at Chiswick which gives you the option of the Chiswick High Road if the A4 is stacked) or to Chiswick to join the A4, going through on a bike I would stay on the A4 all of the way in to Hyde Park Corner and then left up Park Lane, IIRC you can do the short bit of Oxford St on a bike, from Marble Arch along and left into Portman Square and the lower end of Baker St, you must work at the lower end I guess being W1.

The M4 elevated would be tricky when jammed, otherwise it should be fairly straight forward on a bike.
Bikesafe - I did a two day course last year, after 25 years of riding I have to say it was timely input. I fell off soon after but that was doing something silly at a slow speed. :-(

Anyway take it if you can get it, wear something bright as well - no shame in it innit !
My granddaughter, now 11, told me today that she didn't like motor bikes. The reason she gave was that during her riding lesson today she fell off her horse when it shied, alarmed by a passing guess what?

Forgot to ask her where this happened but I suppose it was in the park. Could have been in Bayswater Road though.
Another convert then Lud ?
Commuting into London by motorbike - cheddar
My granddaughter now 11 told me today that she didn't like motor bikes. The reason
she gave was that during her riding lesson today she fell off her horse when
it shied alarmed by a passing guess what?

Thats one up for the motorbike then, mine doesnt shy when passed by a horse, on the otherhand it doesnt happen often.
And 11 year olds can't ride them and even BMW rates are cheaper than the Vets !
Thank you all for the encouragement and route suggestions. Will check them out thoroughly!

Top responses everyone. Cheers!!

Will start next week, as I need to get the bike checked over. It's been sitting for a few months and probably needs a little TLC.

DP
Commuting into London by motorbike - Westpig
DP,

You've got a darned great bike that on some inner London roads will be a pig to filter on.

Some years back i used to commute on a 400 Honda Superdream (i know, what an awful bike) and didn't seem to have any problems.

The odd time i've ventured into town on the Blackbird considerably more recently, i haven't enjoyed the experience one little bit. Smaller bikes hassle you because they're more manoueverable and you find yourself holding them up when you're worried about the size of the gaps. Plus a big unwieldy bike is fine on an open road, but not so in confined spaces, i found it immensely trying and tiring.

If you could afford it i'd recommend a biggish engined scooter. A mate leaves his Hayabusa at home and uses one, surprisingly nippy, with loads of storage and a topbox doesn't ruin its' looks or street cred, cos it hasn't got much to start with.
Commuting into London by motorbike - Micky
Trail bike for potholes and handlebars above mirrors, but not too grossly oversize.
R1200GS is pretty good in cities/towns. Unburdened by panniers, its narrow enough to filter (its widest part being - the cylinders - being ahead of you) Its suspension is strong enough for the urban roadscape, as well as being tall enough for you to see what's happening far ahead, its size is a asset in presence stakes, it's brakes have plenty of pulling up power.
Commuting into London by motorbike - Garethj
I commute into London on a ZZR1100 and it's fairly easy in traffic.

The best route is the one which gives easiest filtering - check which bus lanes allow bikes, but be careful of other traffic turning across you.

I'd avoid scooter riders like the plague, this can even be a factor in planning your route!

Gareth
Commuting into London by motorbike - bazza
Some excellent safe riding info on the Visordown forums - think its called "Survival Skills" Well worth a read.
A guy used to regularly filter past me in traffic wearing an incredibly visible jacket. I did a bit of research and it's a Hein Gericke -Daylight Journey jacket. Might be an investment, or at the very least a Hi Viz waistcoat.

Cheers

Baz
Commuting into London by motorbike - mazdaboy
I've got one of these HG hi-viz jackets (although mine's called 'Voyager' as it's a few years old and been updated). Excellent bit of kit, very well made with removeable liner. Ideal commuting jacket, can't recommend it highly enough in line with most HG stuff.