What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What Car to get the Wife? - brianp
Hey guys looking for some advice on what car to get the misses.

We currently have a seat leon cupra which she uses for work but is doing 12000 miles or more a year in it and only gets around 25-30mpg and it eats tyres, the insurance is high, road tax is high etc etc but it is fun to drive!!

Cause of the above I am looking to get a car that is more economical in the order of 50mpg, reasonable servicing costs, lower road tax band either B or C and and was really looking to spend no more than £5k and obviously I would be looking at second hand cars at that price.

My thinking was a Honda or Toyota (Aygo or Yaris).

Anybody have any recommendations on what cars I should look at,

Cheers for any help.

Brian
What Car to get the Wife? - Nsar
We have a 1.0 Yaris which has been flawless over three years. That engine size might be a bit light for 12,000 miles a year but you'd love the frugality and low insurance - the 1.3 would be well worth a look and I'd guess £5k would have you in the 53 plate, maybe 04 area.
What Car to get the Wife? - henry k
.... Yaris ......12,000 miles a year...... but you'd love the frugality and low insurance

- the 1.3 would be well worth a look

Our 1.3 version was bought after reading that the 1.0 was buzzy on motorways. I think it is a fine car.
Some do not like the central digital speedo.
It has been reliable to date.
The only worry was a main dealer quoting £850 for a replacement exhaust. I did keep a straight face as I collected our V reg CDX. What world do they live in?
What Car to get the Wife? - Altea Ego
2004 SEAT IBIZA 1.2 3dr Hatchback (trade) £5395

10,300 miles
MANUAL
BLUE
Petrol
Manual, 10,300 miles, Blue. 3x3 point rear seat belts, Air conditioning, Body coloured bumpers, Cloth seat trim, Drivers & Passenger airbag, Folding rear seats,Full Seat Service History, MOT 26/3/08 .

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What Car to get the Wife? - BobbyG
Don't think she will thank you if you go from a Leon Cupra to a Aygo!

Maybe a half way car would be a Fabia vrS where you get close to the performance you are used to, but much better fuel economy? But wouldn't get one for 5k unless you are talking 5k plus your Cupra?
What Car to get the Wife? - bell boy
Don't think she will thank you if you go from a
Leon Cupra to a Aygo!

>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>.
i was thinking that you may find your bags by the front door on arrival home
My misses did used to have a 1 litre Citron (it was very old) and she was happy with that.

She has even test driven a Smart fortwo and loved it but I think they are a bit expensive, high servicing costs and not sure on safety!!

If it helps she doesn?t drive to work on the motorway, usually mostly back roads national speed limit etc.

We will be keeping the Cupra or might exchange it for a Focus for myself and use the extra bit of money to buy her a slightly more expensive car but to be honest don?t really want to get rid of the Cupra as just got clutch done, new brakes and new tyre it has nice leather interior and elec seats plus as I said before great fun to drive!! I would probably only get a maximum of £6K for it as it 51 plate with 80k miles on it .

From what people have said the Yaris does seem like a good idea and could get one for a reasonable price but it is in a higher tax band than Aygo and not as many MPG.

Based on the above any further suggestions!!

Cheers for all you help so far

Brian
What Car to get the Wife? - Avant
The 1.3 Yaris is excellent - elder daughter is on her second - and you will get spirited performance but not 50 mpg. For this you'd need a diesel or a very gently driven Honda Jazz or Toyota Aygo.

If you mean £5k plus what you get for the Leon, I'd agree with the Fabia vRS, or perhaps a Leon TDI if she's comfortable in her Seat (sorry). If it's not, presumably it's an early Cupra worth £5k or so and you're after a straight swap? Maybe look at an Ibiza TDI if you can't run to a Leon, or a Fabia TDI if the vRS is more than you want to spend.
What Car to get the Wife? - daveyjp
I've only just started checking mileage in our Aygo but mid 40s in urban traffic seems to be the norm - it's only done 1500 miles and this may well improve.

If the 12,000 includes plenty of higher speed journeys I wouldn't like to do them in the Aygo - it's capable of motorway speeds, but not a relaxed cruiser.

Audi A2 1.4TDi may be in your budget if you throw in your current motor - mine did 50mpg no probs.

Any car with the PAS 1.4TD unit will also do around 50 mpg - Fiesta, various Peugeots and Citroens.
What Car to get the Wife? - Bill Payer
I have no problems getting indicated 50-52MPG from our Jazz, and its torquey engine feels nice to drive. Getting one for £5-6K might not be too easy though.
Also, ours is 53reg so supposedly has suspension improvements over the early Jazz?s. I?d accepted the ride for what it is ? bouncy ? but daughter?s recent purchase of a near identical looking, and much better riding, 5dr Mitsubishi Colt, has made me realise just how bad the ride in the Jazz is.

If a 3 door is acceptable then maybe look at Colt ? they?re under £7K new even with A/C. We paid £7500 for the 5 dr (with a/c). The 3 cyl engine seems fine (I don?t like the VAG 3 cyl, which we have in a SEAT).
Sorry reposting this as managed to post in the middle of the thread!!

Anyway also the main things I want for the new car in order of importance

1. Reliable
2. Good MPG (low running cost)
3. Cheap road tax and insurance

My misses did used to have a 1 litre Citron (it was very old) and she was happy with that.

She has even test driven a Smart fortwo and loved it but I think they are a bit expensive, high servicing costs and not sure on safety!!

If it helps she doesn?t drive to work on the motorway, usually mostly back roads national speed limit etc.

We will be keeping the Cupra or might exchange it for a Focus for myself and use the extra bit of money to buy her a slightly more expensive car but to be honest don?t really want to get rid of the Cupra as just got clutch done, new brakes and new tyre it has nice leather interior and elec seats plus as I said before great fun to drive!! I would probably only get a maximum of £6K for it as it 51 plate with 80k miles on it .

From what people have said the Yaris does seem like a good idea and could get one for a reasonable price but it is in a higher tax band than Aygo and not as many MPG.

Based on the above any further suggestions!!

Cheers for all you help so far

Brian
What Car to get the Wife? - Ed V
Is depreciation not your largest cost, higher than marginal differences on tyres, fuel, tax etc although insurances can be significantly different in extremis.
That being the case I'd go for a Citroen C5 for relaxation, one of them 4 years old or so would be a bargain. 12,000 miles is around 400 hours in the car - at 30 average speed!
Or try one of the Fiat range - much better cars than written, but mainly due to poor image. If well looked after from new, the likelihood of a breakdown won't be much higher than a Ford. Again, most of the cash will have been lost by the guy you buy from!
What Car to get the Wife? - madf
My Yaris diesel averages 58mpg - mainly town work, and RFL is £35.... and 10k service costs aree approx £100 then £200 then £100 etc.

madf
What Car to get the Wife? - grish
If you are looking at Aygo, why not go for Ford KA?? It has a 1.3 engine, I've had one myself previously and known several people with KAs, all have been very happy with them, not a single problem. A good choice for urban start-stop driving. Group II insurance, therefore cheap. Also, cheap to buy even new.
What Car to get the Wife? - injection doc
well my wife & I have never liked ford's & had almost everything but! untill 2 years ago & now I would't change. My wife loves her 1.4tdci fiesta, 53avg mpg £35 a year road tax & £ 150 a year insurance & cheap servicing too. Its an "N" cap 4 rating car ( very high) as once shown on top gear far out performed a freelander at 40mph driven into a 10 ton concrete block! it withstood the impact very well and had no dash intrusion and you could still open the drivers door unlike the freelander totally collasped! all important these days when considering a small car.
Quick clear screen for frosty mornings brilliant only ford & jag have this. AC that works very well & feels a reasnable size car when driving, has a solid feel to it as well ABS & twin air bags & huge load area with split rear seats & still popular 2nd hand without those japanesse repair bills should something gp wrong.
Ford have come along way since a few years ago, worth a look