Ford Focus as a first car? - Moe
hey, this is my first post here but id just like to ask your opinions
Im buying my first car and want it to be a ford focus and my budget is a max of £3000, Ive been looking online at sites like autotrader and loot, but havent really found anything.. where should I be looking? I guess Im also just asking your opinions on what you think I could get for my money? I would need the car to be a 1.6 or 1.4 for insurance reasons but I mean.. what kind of year and mileage should I expect to be getting? Im kind of specific as id like dark blue, silver or black as they are the colours I think look best on a focus.
Also what are the main differences between the different focus's for example the LX, Zetec or Giah? and so which one should I go for? I know its a lot of questions but its my first car and as a student £3000 is a loooot of money so Id like to get it right first time with minimal hassle,
Thanks.
Ford Focus as a first car? - Blue {P}
Hi Moe, welcome to the Backroom!

I'm sorry I haven't done a lot of research into Focus prices for a while so I'm not certain what £3,000 will buy you at the moment.

I think you've made a sound choice for a first car, if anybody comes on here and tells you to re-consider, my advice would be to ignore them! :-)

As for which model to buy, my personal choice would be a Zetec, they have more supportive sports seats and a slightly firmer suspension that handles the corners even better than a normal Focus. The Ghia is nice if you can get a post-facelift model (2001 onwards) when it was upgraded to nicer seats, body coloured handles, and a better equipment level. Before 2001 I would avoid the Ghia model to be honest unless it's been specced up properly.

Blue
Ford Focus as a first car? - Rattle
I would not spend so much on a first car because you're bound to prang it, everybody seems to that with their first cars. Get somethign cheaper for 6 month so you can learn to hit drive posts, scrape a car in a car park or kerb it :D

My mate must have had about 2-3 minor prangs the first month he got his first car, though he's now on his second and has not even hit a kerb yet :).

What I am saying is you're still learning to drive :) If however you have been driivng other cars since you have passed your test go ahead and buy a Focus :).

I want one myself, I loved the mk1 but I like the MK2 even better. Hoping to pick one up for £5k in a couple of years time if I passed by then.
Ford Focus as a first car? - y2k+4
For £3000 you'd probably be looking at pre-facelift cars, which means 1999/2000 reg cars with average mileage (60,000-70,000 miles). The LX at this age, is basic inside - some don't even have a/c, but then neither does the Zetec - it was an extra. IF you can find a post-facelift LX, you'll get a/c, silver inserts, alloys etc (the latter two, you'll get on Zetec as standard). Ghia is luxury trim with climate control, electric windows all round, computer, etc.

I have a Focus 1.6 LX facelift, and I love it. It was the first car I bought myself (as opposed to a parent). One thing I will say is that I wish it had ABS, as in the wet if you have to break hard, it will skid - cadance breaking was learnt very fast.

Also beware that at this time of life, things will begin to need replacement. Cambelt won't be far off (recommended at 100,000 miles, but most people do it at 70-80,000), and the a/c can be troublesome.
Ford Focus as a first car? - LHM

.... It was the first car I bought myself (as opposed to a parent)....

Bought on ParentMart by any chance?

Ford Focus as a first car? - local yokel
Focus is a good car - SWMBO has a Mk1 1.6 auto and it's very solid. One rear wheel bearing has been replaced (at (50k, cost £85).

As to whether you need to spend £3k to get mobile, I'd doubt it. A Fiesta at about £1k would do you well unless you are doing long distances on a daily basis. They are well-known, easy to fix and very easy to re-sell.
Ford Focus as a first car? - Martin1981
Ford Focus TDDi/TDCi is one of the cars on my options list when I decide to call it quits with my elderly 306TD, next to a 306HDi and Golf TDi. Reliability wise they are very good and they handle well too. Being a Ford, parts and servicing are within affordable levels. There are plenty of 1999/2000 Focus's around for the £3k mark, petrol and diesel. If you're going for a petrol version, the 1.6 is the best compromise between performance and economy. The 1.4 is rather underpowered.

Martin

Ford Focus as a first car? - DP
The most reliable car I ever owned or drove for any length of time was my old company owned 2002 Focus TDDi. 99,000 miles in 3 years with only an aux belt tensioner needed outside of routine servicing and tyres. It still drove really well at the end too.

Apart from poor seats (LX model) and the din from the tyres at the motorway, I thought it was a brilliant car. The dynamics, as others have said, are just brilliant, but 99k in this has since made me very fussy when it comes to things like steering feel and proper weighting of controls. I find myself comparing every car I drive to it, and it's made me very intolerant of things like overassisted steering, overservoed brakes and rubbery gearboxes. The Focus does all this so well, you begin to take it for granted. When you drive anything else of comparable price, or even a surprising number of cars significantly more expensive, you realise just how good it is.

Cheers
DP
Martin - if you like the way the 306 drives, the Focus is the way to go. The Golf, for its lovely finish and superb PD TDI engines just has no feel or balance in comparison.

Cheers
DP
Ford Focus as a first car? - Pugugly {P}
DP the only way to improve on the dynamics of a Focus (having driven a numbe rof hired ones) is to get a rear wheel drive car !
Ford Focus as a first car? - AlastairW
As the owner of a 2000 X Ghia, I'm sorry to confirm the spec is worse than you say. Its ordinary aircon, not climate control, no (standard) alloys, no abs, no computer and only the front windows are electric. Thing improve with the 2.0 apparently, but the op wants 1.6 maximum. Thinking about it, DID the Ghia even come as a 1.4 or 1.6?
Ford Focus as a first car? - henry k
Thinking about it, DID the Ghia even come as a 1.4 or 1.6?

Certainly DID come as a 1.6 but IIRC NOT 1.4

Thing improve with the 2.0 apparently,
Certainly do and the one in our houshold has leather and cruise control.

Auto Trader shows 14 x 1.6 Ghia asking for under £3K but that is nationwide.
hmm.. so are you lot sayin that the Lx is the one I should be aiming to get? or better yet the Ghia?
Ford Focus as a first car? - L'escargot
From the point of view of repairs/spares cost, a Ford is a good choice.
--
L\'escargot.
Moe - within your budget the Zetec is probably the best one to go for, make sure you get one with A/C though.

The LX pre-facelift is too basic and the Ghia is just a little drab. The Zetec also has a better suspension setup that makes the car a more rewarding drive as well as more supportive seats.

If you can get a car that came AFTER the facelift then a Zetec or the Ghia is the one to go for as they improved the Ghia spec a lot, the LX seats were still just a little unsupportive for my liking although at least the equipment level is up to scratch.

Blue
Ford Focus as a first car? - agrb
This is the best car you will ever drive!! Have always had Sierras untin January of las year when I purchase a 1.8 ghia Y reg. Have been driving for 55 years and I smile whenever I start off. It has never used any oil and needed no attention other than the usual servicing and change of cam belt and tensioner when purchased. I am a part time plate driver for an auction house and drive justabout every car on the market and still prefer the Focus. The secret is to purchase from auction and aim for a model which was owned by a lease company.It then comes with a full service history. Mine is totally pristine inside and out and was purchased for £2850 in January 2006.The biddingstarted at £2300 but another bidder raised the price. First registered 15.8.2001. It does at least 35 mpg. The downside was that the mileage was 115260 but I decided to chance it and I am very glad I did!! Last wekk I saw on a garage forecourt a V reg. for £3300 which is a bit overpriced IMOHope this helps.
Ford Focus as a first car? - rich66
Just want to add that the Focus is an ideal car. I bought one as my 2nd car and I do enjoy driving it. The facelift came in sometime between 51 and 02 plate but I think most are 02 and onwards. The zetec version does have slightly stiffer suspension which I like (you feel the bumps in the road more so some may not like that so much), I wouldn't go for the ghia myself because for me it's overkill. The LX on a facelift model is good and the zetec is slightly better if you like the stiffer suspension.

If I had to choose between a LX facelift and a Zetec pre-facelift I think I'd go for the LX facelift (the facelift has more effective headlights, though requiring an extra bulb).

As for engines, did the 1.4 have smaller 14" wheels?

some useful sites with a focus forum:
www.focusowners.com
www.ffoc.co.uk

HTH
Ford Focus as a first car? - BackOfTheNet
A word of warning though - there are a lot about so be picky. I bought a pre-face lift 1.8 LX on a Y plate and if I'm honest I'm a little disapppointed - the seats aren't great and the headrest seems to push into the back of my head which is a little annoying. The engine sounds rough and doesn't inspire confidence (although it's never let me down in 12 months) but I made the "mistake" of buying a low mileage car i.e. lots of short stop-start journeys.

The moral of the story is that the Focus is a cracking car if you buy right so be picky and make sure you check out the car thoroughly. I have a 118d Sport company car and despite my Focus' shortcomings it is a true drivers car that comes close to the Beemer for driving satisfaction but just be careful!! £3k is a tricky budget too
I bought a pre-face lift 1.8 LX
on a Y plate and if I'm honest I'm a little
disapppointed - the seats aren't great and the headrest seems to
push into the back of my head which is a little
annoying.

The seats depend on which variant you buy. Basic and Ghia models have flatter seats which I prefer and with which I have no problem. The mid-range models have side-bolsters to form a sort of bucket seat, which to me feels like sitting on the ............. er .............. rim of a bucket! I agree that the head restraint can be annoying but I solved this by just reclining the seat backrest slightly backwards.
--
L\'escargot.
My LX was a facelift model on an 02, and I still didn't like the seats at all, so the moral (as ever) is try thoroughly before you buy.

Cheers
DP
Ford Focus as a first car? - daveyjp
My 99 LX drivers seat bolster collapsed after 50,000 miles. Lumbar support was then non existent.
If you can get a car that came AFTER the facelift
then a Zetec or the Ghia is the one to go
for as they improved the Ghia spec a lot ........

The spec of my 03/03 facelift 2.0 petrol Ghia is much the same as that of my previous 1999 T pre-facelift car. Apart from the exterior about the only difference is that the cassette player has been deleted and the 6 CD autochanger is incorporated in the dash instead of being under the passenger's seat.
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus as a first car? - local yokel
> 6 CD autochanger is incorporated in the dash

The 6006 is easily bought on the normal website for about £125-£150 and slots straight into the dash - SWMBO's pre-facelift Focus came with a dire cassette player...........
Ford Focus as a first car? - IanW1977
We have had a Focus as the family car for over a year now and I have done many a long journey in it.

I find it's a nice car to drive but personally I can't get comfy in the drivers seat at all being 5ft 11" - It's an LX by the way so the seats are a bit naff and it's pretty high mileage.

Ours is pretty well specced - Alloys, Air Con, Front Heated screen, Cd player with Steering wheel controls Sunroof etc etc.

£3k is plenty enough to get a decent one and Insurance isn't too bad.

Oh and ours is pre facelift model
The 6006 is easily bought on the normal website for about £125-£150 and slots straight into the dash -

>>
I wonder where all these 6006 items come from?

> >SWMBO's pre-facelift Focus came with a dire cassette player...........
>>
Dire in what way?
The Focus Ghia and Mondeo Ghia in my household both have tape players and 6 x CD changers.
I work on the principal that the CD players are fine and the tape unit stays in the car and does not appear on "the normal website"
........ - SWMBO's pre-facelift Focus
came with a dire cassette player...........

The one in my Ghia was OK for me. If you don't have hi-fi ears (which I haven't!) you don't need hi-fi music!
--
L\'escargot.
This is one of the improvements I was talking about, CD became standard after 51 reg rather than an option, also, alloys, better seats and complete body colouring became standard as well. All these were either optional or just plain not available on pre-facelift Ghias.

Blue
This is one of the improvements I was talking about, CD became standard after 51 reg rather than an option,

I think this is pre Ipod thinking
>>also, alloys,
The Ford standard alloys on our 2.0l are a pain to clean and I would not choose them. I think the shape of them contributes to many I see have been damaged.
better seats

Now that is a very good point, well worth investigating.

>>and complete body colouring became standard as well.
Wow.
All these were either optional or just plain not available on pre-facelift Ghias.

IIRC there were many standard features on the 2.0l like traction control and rear disks but the 1.6l was a lot more basic.

I really dislike the fat steering wheel rim but that may not concern others
I do not like the headlamp flasher on the earlier model but I suspect they are still fitted as standard.
Anyone else have a problem when you raise and lower the seat height it leaves a gap at the back of the seat which makes it really uncomfy ??

We must have got lucky with our LX as it was Ex Company/Lease Car so came with many of the options.

Anyone else have a problem when you raise and lower the
seat height it leaves a gap at the back of the
seat which makes it really uncomfy ??

Yes. That, and the height adjuster seems to act more on the front of the seat squab than the back meaning when you lower it (as I have to do at 6ft 2), it feels like you're about to slide under the steering wheel, and all thigh support completely disappears. These are the worst seats of any car I have ever driven. Awful things.

The Zetec seats are much, much better.

Cheers
DP
Ford Focus as a first car? - Waino
SWMBO's Focus is a '52 'Chic' - which I believe is a tarted -up Zetec. I'm 6ft2 and have no gripes at all with its standard heated leather seats. It's only the 1.6 petrol engine, but I find it a pleasure to drive.

As others have similarly stated, my only criticisms would be the road/tyre noise and the thinness of the paint ....... oh, and the difficulty changing a headlight bulb!
>>and complete body colouring became standard as well.
Wow.

Ho hum, just giving my opinion Henry, not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic, I happen to think that a lack of plastic sills and handles makes it look a little nicer, especially in a light colour. Do you own a pre-faclift model by any chance and feel that I have in someway offended your choice of vehicle?

As per the comment about the IPOD, seeing as the Focus stereo has no Ipod connectivity it is much easier to have CD as standard than have to mess about changing the head unit for one which will accept an Ipod input, and those transmitter things for pre-ipod stereos aren't much good either in my experience.

You are right about the 2.0 model, it had, IIRC, climate control instead of A/C, and traction control.

Blue
not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic,

I am sorry. I did not mean it to come across that way.

>> Do you own a pre-faclift model by any chance ..?
The Focus is the original model, my sons, but I drive it frequently so not offended
As per the comment about the IPOD, ..., and those transmitter things for pre-ipod stereos aren't much good either in my experience.

Both my offspring have used them for years with great success hence my comments. Neither use CDs in their cars ( my daughter does have a standard fitted CD player)
You are right about the 2.0 model, it had, IIRC, climate control instead of A/C, and traction control.

Our model has A/C and leather , non heated seats plus the rare cruise control.
I have only used it with T/C off to demo the effect ,to son, when we had snow long enough ( in the London area) a couple of years ago.
I certainly enjoy driving it as it has obviously more performance than my 2.0l auto Mondeo which has the same engine.

The only failure has been a rear wheel bearing ( this appears to be quite a common problem).
The rear suspension got damaged ( none knows how) but the rear wheel was displaced forward - most odd.
It is still on the origin exhaust except that the whole of the outer skin completely disappeared a couple of years ago but it is still OK for the MoT.

I would certainlr vote for it as a best buy.
i'd just like to thank everyone who put the effort into replying to my innital post, i finally brought a ford focus 1.6 zetec 2000 model and although have only had it for a little while, i'm very happy with it, thanx again to everyone :D
I happen to think that
a lack of plastic sills ...........

You don't get any problem of visible rust on the sills if they're plastic. Give me plastic sills any day. I'm not bothered about the looks. My main priority (in all features) is functionality.

--
L\'escargot.
better seats .............. or just plain not available on pre-facelift
Ghias.

The seat shapes on my 03/03 2.0 Ghia are (apart from a centre arm rest for the driver) identical to those in my previous 1999 T 2.0 Ghia.
--
L\'escargot.