What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - The Melting Snowman
Hello John

I was thinking of buying a Focus hatchback 5 door. What is the best petrol engine to get in terms of reliabilty and perfomance/economy?
Thank you

The Melting Snowman
Ford Focus - DavidHM
For reliability they're all about the same.

For economy, the 1.4 is as thirsty as the 1.6 (average 38mpg in mixed driving) and the 1.8 is as thirsty as the 2.0 (34 mpg is about average).

So I'd get either the 1.6 or the 2.0. If you're looking at older cars where the price difference is smaller, it might make sense to get a 2.0 because that may be the only way to get ABS plus a few extra nice bits of kit.
Ford Focus - dieselicious
i had a 03 reg focus 2.0 zetec which was great. reliable, comfortable [around 20k miles per year] and quick off the mark when i couldn't be bothered with saving fuel, tyres etc. i'd say the 2.0 is definately the one to go for, unless you are a grandad or wear slippers and elbow patches.
Ford Focus - henry k
If >> you're looking at older cars where the price difference is smaller,
it might make sense to get a 2.0 because that may be the only way to get ABS plus a few extra nice bits of kit.

>>
Like on our V reg Ghia that has rear disks, traction control, optional gray leather and also the very rare cruise control.
I do not like the too fat steering wheel rim or the headlamp flashing "design" or the small boot but the rest of it is OK.
It has a tape player , which I think is standard ( scrotes do not want them) but also a 6 x CD player under the passenger seat .
Ford Focus - L'escargot
I'm on my second 2.0 Ghia so you can tell I like them. The facelifted models don't have a tape player but the 6 disc CD player in the dash is more convenient than the earlier version under the passenger's seat. Be aware that very early Ghias (1999 T reg) were made without ABS (or, I think, rear discs) due to a supply problem ~ I waited especially to get ABS. If you can find one that has an optional sunroof you'll find it's worth it but they are very rare ~ and I wouldn't reject a good car without a sunroof for a tatty one that has a sunroof.
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus - L'escargot
For economy, the 1.4 is as thirsty as the 1.6 (average
38mpg in mixed driving) and the 1.8 is as thirsty as
the 2.0 (34 mpg is about average).

I get 36 to 40 mpg (depending on the season) from my 03/03 2.0 Ghia. These are genuine figures, obtained by recording every drop of petrol purchased and calculating the mpg at the end of each month. I admit I don't use harsh acceleration very often but on the other hand I drive spiritedly and on urban roads I try to keep up as high a speed as I think I can get away with without risking my licence.

I recommend a 2.0. Just check that the seats suit you. I personnally much prefer the Ghia seats because I find the side bolsters of Zetec models irritate the sides of my thighs.
--
L\'escargot.
Ford Focus - oldpostie
I had one for a short time. The 1.6 petrol. It was gutless and thirsty. It needed a lot of revving to go up hills. I would have liked to put an Astra engine into it, which would have been more useful for much of my driving.
Ford Focus - Jonwm {P}
I owned a 2000 W 1.8 Zetec, really enjoyed driving it, one of the favourite cars i've had, only got rid due to company car, I wanted the 2.0 for the rear disc and ABS as standard but when i brough mine they were quite rare, amazing drive, much preffered the looks to the new model or even the face lifted one.

Only probs i had was a diff split in the gearbox, alot to do with my driving to be fair, trying to show off wheelspinning out of most junctions (I was young!!) and when it came back they had left a bolt in the gearbox which ripped it out not much longer on, unfotunalty it was 2.30 am in the middle of nowhere, Warranty sorted all probs though.

Would deffo buy one again

Bringing back so many good memories typing about it......

Jon
Ford Focus - local yokel
SWMBO has a 2001 1.6 auto - about 30mpg, but it's on short runs for most of the time. Fun to drive, a bit wheezy with four on board. NS rear wheel bearing went at 50k, which is common. £80 replaced at my local indy. She likes it, so I'm happy.
Ford Focus - daveyjp
I also had a 1.8 LX - V reg. Plenty of toys, no ABS on that model but it did have aircon. Great performance and exellent handling, just a bit thirsty - mid to high 20s in urban traffic. Only problems I had were a replacement rear wheel bearing and a new fuel gauge sender unit - both fixed under warranty. It was rear ended in a hit and run, car was fixed to good as new and I traded it in a few months later.
Ford Focus - Brian Tryzers
Interesting point, and excuse me for continuing this little foray off-topic. I've always thought GM's smaller petrol engines were fine machines in search of a better home. I had a 1993L Astra, which was an expensive mistake and awful in so many ways, but it had a 1.4 16v engine that I thought was terrific and much more pleasant to drive than Rover's more powerful K-series 1.4 that was (then) the height of automotive fashion. Perhaps the trouble is that modern 'small' cars are so corpulent - a new Focus must be 300mm longer and 300kg heavier than that Astra - that even a good small engine can't shift one comfortably.
Ford Focus - Roly93
We've got a 3 1/2 year old Focus 1.6 Zetec,. - Great car in all aspects of driving, trouble free and reasonably economical. I agree with the poser that said 1.4 is underpowered and thirsty, the 1.8 is no great advantage over the 1.6.
The only criticism of the car is its delicate and easily scratched paintwork.
Ford Focus - AlastairW
As you will see from my profile I have an X reg 1.8 Ghia, and therefore missed out on the abs and disc brakes, but up to now have not missed them. Its a wee bit thirsty round town for my taste, but I don't do many miles so I don't really worry about it.
Mine has the tape based stereo without the CD changer. Apparently it is dead easy to add a changer ( the button is there!), but I have simply bought a cassette adapter for my mp3 player so all my cds go everywhere with me now.
Ford Focus - cheddar
>>For economy, the 1.4 is as thirsty as the 1.6 (average 38mpg in mixed driving) and the 1.8 is as thirsty as the 2.0 (34 mpg is about average).

So I'd get either the 1.6 or the 2.0. If you're looking at older cars where the price difference is smaller, it might make sense to get a 2.0 because that may be the only way to get ABS plus a few extra nice bits of kit.>>

Most facelift on have ABS though only (of the petrols) 2.0's and some 1.8 fitted with an option kit have rear discs.

Other wise I agree with this, the 1,6 is sweeter revving though the 2.0 is much more gutsy.
Ford Focus - The Melting Snowman
i'd say the 2.0 is definately the one to go for, unless you are a grandad or wear slippers and elbow patches.

LOL. No I don't wear any of those items! I think the 2.0 will be best for me as I only use a car at weekends and don't do much mileage. I hope I can get a good deal on a new Focus. You all seem very helpful and friendly. Thank you.