What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Golf - Headlamp and rear lights blowing - Perfection
Hi Posters:

My sister's car had the most expensive consumable cost. IF she is lucky she replace a bulb at least once every 2 weeks. Its either front headlamp bulb or rear brake/tail lights.

I just wondering if anyone have expereinced this problem. The car is a 2001 Golf 1.4 S.

The car has too many problem: the was flooded with water, now this problem has been fixed. The drink a few litres of oil every 6000 miles. However, the bulb failure issue is still continuing..She is think of sellling the car off to stop.

I told her that let me drop a message on here first and see if anyone can help with the bulb issue.

I know some Japanses car's has the slow starting electronic circuit which prevent headlamp subjected to initial transients during switch on the headlamp/bulbs. Do they have this on the Golf? I'm wondering tif this circuit has failed or may the alternator is generating too much volts?

Any thoughts will be welcomed..

Regards,
Golf - Headlamp and rear lights blowing - Screwloose
Perfection

Either it is indeed over-charging; or the replacement bulbs are rubbish. [There's lots about - with lifespans of just a few hours.]
Hi Screwloose

We have replaced the bulb from difference sources, they are expensive one too. We have repalce about 6 headlamps buld this year all from different shops, each cost about £7.50.

Regards,

Do you have access to a basic DC voltmeter?
Golf - Headlamp and rear lights blowing - mark25
In the case of the rear lamps, this is could well be due to corrosion of the rear light module. If so, the contacts need cleaning, greasing and then pushing closer together to grip the bulb better.
Yes, I have a Volt meter. I will try and measure the voltage. What voltage do I expect to see when the engine is running at idle?

With warm engine running at around 2000 revs; headlights full on; heater blower full on and heated rear window on, [nothing else] expect at least 13.6 and no more than 14.2 volts DC across the battery.
Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.

Regards,
Golf - Headlamp and rear lights blowing - Red Baron
"drink a few litres of oil every 6000 miles."

I presume you mean the engine and that a 'few' litres is, maybe, three?

Never mind the bulbs...something much bigger is on its way out. Even in a knackered G-reg fiesta that I knew was losing oil to somewhere, it wasn't drinking this much.

Car was flooded you say?

Did the bulb blow in quick succession prior to the flooding?