What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Motorcyclist help - bikemade3
I know there'sa few out there so what's a better buy?
Honda CBR 1100XX or Triumph Sprint 1050 or BMW R1200S
Motorcyclist help - Westpig
the Blackbird every time........

doesn't matter what gear you're in, so much torque.......Honda reliability and build quality.....was labelled a sports tourer originally, but is really just a tourer.....nevertheless will give a number of sports bikes a run for their money for grunt (bit big to chuck around too much)......... very comfortable on long journeys.........looks the part
Motorcyclist help - SjB {P}
Agreed.
A storming bike, even all these years on.
Motorcyclist help - cheddar
On face value I agree however the 1050 Triumph triple is a cracking motor.

Is it a new bike purchase, if so there are a lot of alternatives, I would not have a Hayabusa myself though a ZZR1400 is in Blackbird territory, I have seen pre reg BMW K1200's IRO £8k, a dealer in Cardiff IIRC.
Motorcyclist help - DP
A friend has a Blackbird and it's seriously impressive. The power is as incredible as you would expect, but it's delivered in such a silky smooth "Honda" way in that you don't really realise how fast you are going. I rode this bike along a deserted dual carriageway once with no other traffic for reference, and could have sworn I was doing 80-ish. The speedo told me I was underestimating by 40 mph. Twist the grip back even slightly at this speed and it squats and pulls like a train. Being a Honda it's also nicely finished and the riding position is comfy. It handles too, although it does feel big and lardy at town speeds.

The new 1050 Triumph engine is supposed to be an absolute belter. The ST competes more with the Blackbird though, so maybe that would be a fairer comparison. The Blackbird is more a ZZR1400 and Hayabusa competitor as Cheddar suggests. If you are going down this route, you owe it to yourself to ride a Hayabusa just to see what it's like. I was grinning for hours afterwards. It is just so stupidly, face distortingly fast, and the engine has so much power everywhere that I just couldn't help but like the thing. The ZZR has also had very good reports in the press.

I personally don't like BMW motorcycles, and haven't ridden the model you mention, so I can't comment fairly on this one.

Cheers
DP
Motorcyclist help - DP
Sorry I meant the ST competes more with the VFR800. Both excellent sports tourers.
Motorcyclist help - wazza
Blackbird has been having rave reviews over the years. A good allrounder
Motorcyclist help - Pugugly {P}
Depends on alot of things. Hondas aew excellent for fair weather riders i.e. they stand in a garage and will reliably start up with no problems. Triumphs are an inknown to me. The BMW will out- torque the Honda in any scenario, the grunt on these things is incredible, BMW arguably has more character and is a shaftie. An acquired taste the BM, I had a ride out on Sunday, I love the way you can twitch it on the throttlle in bends.
If you are going
down this route, you owe it to yourself to ride a
Hayabusa just to see what it's like. I was grinning for
hours afterwards. It is just so stupidly, face distortingly fast, and
the engine has so much power everywhere that I just couldn't
help but like the thing. The ZZR has also had very
good reports in the press.

The problem with the Hayabusa is that it is a Suzuki, not as well finished as the Kawasakis or Hondas yet alone Yamahas.

The ZZR1400 is tuned to be a little less intimidating than a Hayabusa at low speeds, below 5000rpm, though the low down torque can be bolstered to Busa beating proportions by the simple removal of the secondary butterfly valves.
The BMW, K1200R, RS, and S are certainly worthy of consideration.
Motorcyclist help - SjB {P}
>>not as well finished as the Kawasakis or Hondas yet alone Yamahas.

eh?!
not as well finished as the Yamahas or Kawasakis yet alone Hondas, perlease!
Motorcyclist help - Pugugly {P}
When I was looking to buy a bike a couple of years ago the only machine that I could find that matched the finish of the CBR 1000 I was riding at the time was er....another CB 1000 ! Everything else seemed very flimsy by comparison, the nearest was a Triumph and Kawasaki. I hadn't considered a BMW then.
>>not as well finished as the Kawasakis or Hondas yet alone
Yamahas.
eh?!
not as well finished as the Yamahas or Kawasakis yet alone
Hondas, perlease!

I am a Honda fan, they are renown for quality and are clearly streets ahead of Suzuki in this regard however Kawa are chasing hard and Yamaha have it licked currently, just look at the detailing on the latest R1s and R6s, also the MT01, FJ1300 etc.
Motorcyclist help - DP
The ZZR1400 is tuned to be a little less intimidating than
a Hayabusa at low speeds, below 5000rpm, though the low down
torque can be bolstered to Busa beating proportions by the simple
removal of the secondary butterfly valves.

If I recall, it's torque limited in the lower gears as well.

I'm a big Kawasaki fan, and I love the idea of a ZZR1400, but the discipline and concentration required to ride a bike with this kind of power even half legally is immense. The 'Busa and Blackbird were fantastic bikes to ride, but it actually takes a conscious effort to stay under a ton, and it only takes that effort to slip once in the wrong place and its bye bye license (and job). The Blackbird was particularly deceptive because the engine was silky smooth and very quiet. It just never sounds like it's working hard.

This brought back a lot of memories of a slip road onto the A3 (although I backed off long before this maniac!).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikCtkatpQkQ

Wind it through to 1:40 and enjoy!

Cheers
DP

Motorcyclist help - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
If you want to have lots of fun at safer speeds , the BMW definitely.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
>> The ZZR1400 ..............

If I recall, it's torque limited in the lower gears as
well.

Only by the secondary butterfly valves that can easiliy be removed or remapped by a powercommander etc.

Wind it through to 1:40 and enjoy!

That 20 secs or so from around 1:40 really serves to demonstrate the sheer performance available from a modern bike.
Motorcyclist help - DP
Only by the secondary butterfly valves that can easiliy be removed
or remapped by a powercommander etc.

Ah, so that's how they do it. I didn't realise the secondary butterflies were used to limit the low down power.

>>....serves to demonstrate the sheer performance available from a modern bike.

Tank range can be an issue though. Performance Bikes magazine calculated that at its 186 mph maximum, their ZZR1400 long-termer will empty its fuel tank in just over 16 minutes!

Wow!

Cheers
DP
that at its 186 mph maximum, their ZZR1400 long-termer will empty
its fuel tank in just over 16 minutes!

In which time it will have done about 50 miles at about 15 mpg.
Motorcyclist help - SteVee
>>Honda CBR 1100XX or Triumph Sprint 1050 or BMW R1200S<<
Strange choice of machines - not that there's bad bike in the list.
What do you intend to do with the bike ?

As an all-rounder I'd go for the Triumph. For high speed touring (and for losing my licence), then the Honda (by royal appointment now?). The BMW's the really strange choice - especially this model, this is almost a modern take on a cafe racer using their boxer twin. I'd have thought the BMW K1200(S) would have fitted more in with this group - and would probably be my choice - I think they made it just for me :-)
Bikes are very personal - when the Sprint came out, I really, really wanted one - but it just didn't suit me. I'll be booking a ride on the new Tiger sometime

You should have no problems getting a ride on any of these bikes - assuming relevant experience.
Motorcyclist help - Vansboy
As a non-biker, not sure which is best, but as I've mentioned before.... forcemotorcycles.com gives a pretty good selection of ex MOD & Police machines,

Maybe a chat with Nick, the guy who's place it is, would be worthwhile, if he's anything that would suit.

VB