Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - catalyst2
We are thinking of buying one. It is is for semi-rural driving, max. 6,000 mls/yr, to keep 5 yrs max.

Should we be overly worried by absence of airbags?

Opinions on any aspect of car (reliability, driving in snow, etc.) most welcome.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - R75
Should we be overly worried by absence of airbags?

Kind of depends how often and hard you hit things?
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - Harmattan
Are you sure it doesn't have airbags? My wife has a 2006 auto and it has them both for driver and passenger. I thought the JLX+ was highest trim. Can't comment on reliability as she has only completed a few thousand miles. I drove it for the first time when on leave in December and rather liked it. The tyre pressures need to be kept down to 25 psi (as in the handbook) and I fitted winter tyres to replace the standard Bridgestones after the back end started to go on ice the first time I drove it. ABS helps but she found avoiding action a bit hairy when encountering someone on the wrong side of the road round a corner. That is down to the slightly raised centre of gravity. Nothing like as bad as the old SJ series and I found the Jimny quite easy to punt along on a winding road but I didn't unexpectedly meet anyone coming the other way. Can't comment on snow yet but it will ford in about 12 inches of rushing water with no side effects and gets out of mud patches easily in 4WD low. This Jimny was bought for a purpose -- to negotiate a 1 in 3 hill throughout the winter -- but I think I would have preferred to stick with permanent four wheel drive. My choice, if you are thinking of buying new in this bracket, would be to look at the old model Daihatsu Terios which has permanent 4WD and is being cleared still from dealers who have received the new model. We also have a YRV 4Trak using the Terios running gear in the family and it has been very reliable. The engines are almost the same as in the Toyota Yaris and Daihatsu Terios old and new models are sold as Toyotas in Japan and some other markets.
Thanks, very useful info.

According to Whatcar? Dec. 2006, neither the JLX nor the JLX+ has any airbag. We haven't test-driven it, will do next week.

We've thought of the Terios but not keen on local dealer, that I shall not name here, but very dodgy reputation. Too expensive anyway, we only have 10K max to spend.

Is your Jimny an import then Harmattan?
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - barchettaman
Catalyst, bear in mind that a bog standard FWD car on a good set of winter tyres (Continentals are regularly rated the best here in Germany) will perform remarkably well on snow.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - Pugugly {P}
"Should we be overly worried by absence of airbags?"

Not really, never had airbags on anything until a few years ago ! Try driving a 12 year old Landie and I think you'll get the point on defensive driving. Loved TU's remarks.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - Vansboy
I was assigned to source one, for a customer, a couple of years back, not the easiest of tasks.

Trying to find a 'good' one, that hasn't beenbumped & bashed about, took some doing. In the end, the one I did buy, proved to be OK, for the girls non-off road use, but very firm & uncomfortable.

Wouldn't you be wiser thinking of a 4x4 Panda. Better built, better car, better resale, better availability - more dealers...

VB
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - Aprilia
Have you thought about the Suzuki Ignis 1.5 '4Grip' 4x4. IIRC these have both frontal and side airbags. They have gone out of productionlast year but I saw some stock a few months ago at remarkably low prices (under £7k brand new). They look fairly practical as well.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - stunorthants26
The Jimny isnt a bad little car and look after them and they are reliable, but as some have said, there are better cars for all but proper off-roading. With your budget however, Id prob go for the Suzuki with the Panda as the only alternative in your price range.

Only problem with the Panda is that the dealers are for the most part, rubbish and your more likely to need them than with the Suzuki. Its also painfully slow and makes even the Suzuki look fast.

Try both and see which you like.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - legacylad
Have you considered a Subaru Justy? Really really cheap. Not sure about build quality or reliability, although I have on occasion used one as a courtesy car and often thought it would be a good runabout in rural/upland areas. Sub £1k for a good runner. so disposable after a few years.
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - Harmattan
A few more thoughts. I think you will find What Car is wrong about the airbags. My wife's is actually a 2005 new model Jimny with the pushbutton selection for 4WD and low range. I forgot we have moved on a year. It's worth noting that we bought it privately because it was being sold at about 40% depreciation on new price (with quite a few accessories) after one year. She wanted to try an auto 4WD and needed something quickly so it wasn't necessarily what would have been chosen with a bit more time. All Jimnys are imports but I think I am right in saying that the auto is built in Japan whereas the other Jimnys, particularly the soft top, come from Spain. This one was UK dealer supplied at new. It is certainly very solidly built - more so than I expected. Advantages include size , elevated seating position and the low range capability; disadvantages are size (not a lot of room in the back) , jiggly on-road ride and that slightly high centre of gravity. The auto is also a bit slow at times. However, one of the French mags has just compared the Jimny with a Panda 4x4 and much to my surprise says the Jimny is better for space and its on-road ride, not to mention off-road capability. Both were diesels (not available in the UK) which might explain the ride characteristics. The old style Terios should be available for £10k and under new but understand about the local dealer. Take a look at the Ignis 4Grip while at your Suzuki dealer: we liked it for size and finish seemed better than the more expensive SX4. You don't get the height of the Jimny but handling will feel more secure. Whatever you opt for, look carefully at the tyres if they are Bridgestones. They are a compromise tyre on these vehicles but more suited to summer use in my opinion. Get a second set of wheels and some decent winter tyres (Goodyear, Continental, Nokian...) and save the Bridgestones for the not-so-rainy days.

Finally, I like the Jimny enough to be thinking of buying a new one for use in Africa -- the real drawback is the tiny fuel tank.
Thanks everybody, great advice.

I should have said really that I'm all for a Suzuki instead BUT my wife insists on elevated seating position, and for less than £10K, with decent reliability, etc, I could only think of a Jimny. I thought of the Pinin but they seem to have stopped selling them in the UK. She wants NEW as well so that reduces options. All in all, Jimny doesnt sound too bad, like I said, it's for 5 or 6K mls/yr so comfort, ride, etc. arten't be-all and end-all. Thanks again for your input and suggestions.

One more thing to those who have bought one these last few yrs: did you manage to buy it at WhatCar price? (nearly one grand off list price)
Suzuki Jimny 1.3 JLX+ - helicopter
I hired one of these in Crete last year . It only had about 6000 k on the clock and I was pleasantly surprised with the comfortable ride and I am fairly sure that it had airbags .

It was also a very competent performer in 4wd when climbing up and down some very steep stony and rutted tracks to a retreat in the mountains near to the Samaria Gorge although that was with only two up.

Room in the back is limited.

I have hired the older Jimnys in Kefalonia and they were a bit basic but still tremendous fun to drive off road. No idea how they perform in snow.