What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Relucant honda cbr? - telecaster
Relucant Honda?

I recently bought a honda 1989 cb 250 r.(motorcycle)

At first it was relucant to start, which I put down to lying up for a year.

I drained the tank of old fuel and also drained the float bowls.

I hooked it up to a car battery in an attempt to start it but no go!

Tried jump starting it and it took of like a bullet.?????????

Attempting to start it with the electric start it refuses to go, it turns over but just wont catch.

I tried the plug test and blipped the starter .... there was no spark...plugs look newish tho!

Where do i go next?

Would it turn over on the start button if the start switch was faulty?

How do I check the coil, cdi unit etc.

Thanks in advance! Ps bike has started a couple of times hooked up to a car battery but only after numerous attempts, a bit hit and miss.

Relucant honda cbr? - dieselnut
If it started from a jump start & the bike has been unused for a year I suspect the bike battery may be sulphated up. Give the battery a long slow charge.
While that is charging, remove the carb float bowls & take out all the jets & blow them through.
Old fuel leaves a deposit & blocks up the small jets.
Relucant honda cbr? - Dynamic Dave
I hooked it up to a car battery in an attempt to start it but no go!
Tried jump starting it and it took of like a bullet.?

Which is the same thing; unless you meant you bump started it? In which case it would suggest that the starter motor was taking all the juice out of the HT system and giving little or no spark to the plugs.
Relucant honda cbr? - craig-pd130
There might be a safety switch or interlock which cuts the low-tension feed to the ignition coils if you don't pull the clutch in when you press the start button. THis could be faulty.

If it runs when you run & bump it (in gear) then there's nothing wrong with the ignition.

As Dave said above too, older bike electrics are usually marginal at best, it's quite common for older Jap bikes to need kick-starting if they've been standing for a few days 'cos the starter motor takes all the juice .....
Yes Dave I meant bump starting it............But if its !jump ! started using a car battery it will fire ......eventually.

Also tried starting it with clutch in...clutch out!

Can i rule out fuel and assume it's electrical related., ?
Relucant honda cbr? - paulb {P}
Do you know (or are you able to find out without too much trouble) how old the battery is?

If more than 4 or 5 years, you may as well replace it - can't recall how much Yuasa or similar go for these days but would be surprised if more than £60. It'll save you all this fiddling about, for sure.

If newer than that, as suggested above try cleaning the terminals and trickle charging overnight. If that doesn't work, then again, consider replacing it.

Might want to consider a new set of plugs, also - certainly won't do any harm.
Relucant honda cbr? - craig-pd130
Varies from bike to bike but a quality German 9Ah battery for my bike was £15 from the local motor factors.
I know the present battery is past it, 2 or 3 turns and it's flat, when i hook it up to a car battery it will spin for ages

and even then it may not start.