What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Civic Lights - royl
I recently purchased an R Reg.Honda Civic 1.5ls Vtec, When driving on dipped or main beam, the headlights and dashboard illumination will dim and then brighten again.

The dimming will sometimes last a few seconds, or will occur quickly, as if I am flashing my lights.

My main Honda dealer has looked at the car twice, firstly checking the earth connections located near to the main fuse box, and secondly, all other earths including those to the alternator. The problem persists.

Before returning the car once more I would be pleased to receive any ideas from you experts out there.

Regards,

Royl

Civic Lights - Peter D
This could be the brushes in the alternator or the regulator that is part of the same unit. This could allow the battery terminal voltage to drop from around 14.6v down to 13.5 volts it could be a sticking brush this drop is noticable, a good blast with a compressed air line through the vents on the rear of the alternator may sort it in the shorter term but a new reg/brush unit at twenty off quid would be a better fix. If you have a meter cannect it to the cigar lighter output and get someone to watch it. However this change could be caused by other electonic/electrical appliances switching in and out, like the A/C compressor cct if it hase one. What sort of mileage has this car done. Regards Peter
Civic Lights - royl
Thanks for your reply Peter D,

39,800 miles.

Regards

Royl
Civic Lights - Peter D
I would not expect brush problems at such a low mileage. How ofter do the lights dim, once a journey, all the time ?? Regards Peter
Civic Lights - royl
Apologies for delay in replying- Christmas and all that !

There can be long spells when nothing wrong happens, then it will occur three or four times in a minute, then nothing for a 20 to 30 minutes,then it will happen again.

Regards,

Royl
Civic Lights - elekie&a/c doctor
Is it just the lights that are affected or do other electrical functions of the car misbehave in the same way? eg wipers and heater blower slow down in operation?
Civic Lights - royl
It is only the headlights and dashboard illumination.
Civic Lights - royl
Message for Peter D.

You were right. My dealer got the electrics checked by an auto electrician and it was the regulator which was faulty. The dealer has tried to get a replacement regulator but it has not been possible so we are negotiating over a new alternator

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Royl