What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rattle on off side suspension Citroen BX - Andre
Sure this has been raised before!

My 1989 BX GTI 1900 cc has an annoying rattle when driven from the front o/s. It is more obvious when decelerating. 2 garages have checked and can find no obvious cause ie ball joints/ track rod ends are fine. Any ideas?
Rattle on off side suspension Citroen BX - mjm
Superb car.
I would check that it isn't one of the heat shields around the exhaust system. There is a lateral restraint mounting between the engine and body behind the engine, if this is getting weak or oil soaked then excessive movement of the engine/gearbox when you lift off the throttle can cause the ehhaust to rattle against them. From memory there is a shield quite close to the exhaust downpipe at the rear, and 2 more underneath.

The exhaust downpipe is spring loaded to the manifold. The springs can lose their tension and give the same effect.

A handbrake cable may be rattling in one of its guides.(not such a metallic rattle as the exhaust)

Offhand I cannot think of anything mounted on the hub/suspension unit which could rattle.

HTH
Rattle on off side suspension Citroen BX - pmh
Is it a rattle or a knock?

There is something in the back of my mind that some of the GTI s used a front suspension pivot bolt (the long one on the inner end of the lower arm) in conjuction with roller bearings - (NOT rubber bushes like the ordinary cars).

Early cars also used this set up. I belive it gave sharper handling. Possibly worth a look.

Why not post on www.citroenz.com/forum/ wealth of BX expertise!

Sorry to see my BX go, one of the best and cheapest oldies I have run.
--

pmh (was peter)

Hmm... more a knocking - the sort of noise when a ball joint needs replacing. Its very noisy and off putting. Will try another garage. Any further advice welcome.

Roughly how expensive is it to replace a strut with labour costs @ £35 per hour and a second hand strut????
I cannot remember if the BX has an ARB with droplinks (and the manual has been put away to discourage me from buying yet another car). If it has, these are notoriously difficult to diagnose for wear partly because of the load on them if you do not jack up evenly.

!!!Remember if you are DIYing it, BXs are potentially very dangerous if you are jacking on the suspension!!!!!
--

pmh (was peter)

Yes they do have ARB with drop links, good thought. The front height corrector operates from it.

I think the inner wishbone pivots had been changed to rubber bushes by the build date of the car in question. I had bushes go on my 1991 Bx 16v, no knocking but I could some steering effect by playing with the throttle.
>>Yes they do have ARB with drop links, good thought. The front height corrector operates from it.

How could I forget? It is only 12 months since I did an octopus!

The fact it is more obvious on the overun should give an additional clue.
--

pmh (was peter)

I chickened out and had my "octopus" done by my friendly independant.

I can only think that the inner wishbone bushes would get the most movement between throttle on/off positions. If the garage has eliminated the lower balljoint, steering joints then wishbone bushes/ARB bushes seem to be all that is left. The strut top mount is too far away to be affected, I would have thought.

mjm

You may like to read
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=161...=

--

pmh (was peter)

Thanks for all your advice.

Went under car today and tried to find anything loose.

While the nearside drive shaft is firm, the o/s could be pushed up and down a bit on differential side creating a slight rattle. Looked in Haynes and seems there is a bearing in the o/s driveshaft - so could be this or driveshaft where it meets differential - wonder why 2 garages didn't notice this wobble???

Not too much of a job perhaps?
Rattle on off side suspension Citroen BX - LeePower
Ahhhh the good old offside driveshaft housing & bearing.

About £36 new from the dealer for the alloy housing with rubber mount, No idea on the bearing cost never had to replace one yet.

Turn the 2 x bolt head 180 degrees so the bearing will slide out with the driveshaft, Also dont undo the housings bolts until the driveshaft & bearing are removed, If you do take the housing bolts out first you will be there for hours struggling.

Last one I did on a 405 the bearing was spinning in the housing because it was so worn.