What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Astra 1.7D overheating Problem - andybros
I recently purchased a 1996 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 Diesel turbo GM engine, which is suffering rapid engine overheating. Basically after a cold start the engine overheats within 10-15 minutes running stationary, the top hose is red hot and bottom hose cold, no circulation. The gauge is in the red and water boiling in the tank. It previously had a head gasket fitted due to overheating, the water pump has been checked, not worn and free running, and the thermostat renewed. I have removed the thermostat and just fitted a new radiator thinking it might be blocked. The electric fan does operate. I have tried flushing system, but it appears there is a massive air lock, are there any special filling procedures or bleeding points on this model? I have run out of idea?s any advise would be much appreciated.
Astra 1.7D overheating Problem - Number_Cruncher
When you checked the water pump, did you remove it, and check the impellor or just remove the cambelt, and give the pulley a spin? If you did not fully remove the pump, I suggest this is your first job.

When the head was off, did the water jacket look to be full of silt and gunk?

Was the correct head gasket fitted - were the coolant holes in the head gasket correctly aligned (i.e. was the gasket put on the right way up?)

To bleed these, take out the coolant temperature sensor (which should be somewhere near the thermostat housing) while filling with water, and replace the sensor when the air stops coming out. Then, warm up the car while correcting any small drops in level at the header tank.

You shouldn't need to run without a thermostat - if it works, put it in.

Number_Cruncher

Astra 1.7D overheating Problem - glowplug
Are you sure that the water pump is actually circulating the water? I'm not sure of the in's and out's of this engine but there's case's where the fins detatch allowing the spindle to turn but no water is pumped. Is it possible to force water through the engine using a heating hose and a hose pipe connected to the tap? When filling 405 TDs it was important to use a 'header tank' to get the air out of the engine because the filling point is lower than the cylinder head but I doubt the Astra is like this.
---
Xantia HDi.

Buy a Citroen and get to know the local GSF staff better...
Astra 1.7D overheating Problem - andybros
The water pump was removed and the impellor showed no damage and was turning. I think I will try the heater hose flush first, and the bleeding procedure recommended via the temp sensor, if no success I will consider checking the head gasket. Many thanks for all the advice, I had run out of ideas.