What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - Bill Payer
Honda's Jazz (unless you buy the 'Sport' model) comes with a continuously operating rear wiper, which drives me *bonkers*.

Years ago I was able to buy an intermittant kit to fit to a Capri (I did say it was years ago!) - does anyone of such kits are still available?

I was hoping if it was a matter of just popping in a relay but the dealer sucked through their teeth and said it's much more involved than that.
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - Pugugly {P}
Would it be a ECU re-programming thingy ?
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - JH
P
ow, that's a bit extreme. I must admit wife went for the Sport model (ok, I "guided" her) because of climate control rather than air con, intermittent rather than fixed rear wiper etc, so I agree about fixed wipe driving you nuts. When I was a teenager I made a circuit to add intermittent wipe to my Dad's car. It worked a treat and had the added benefit that you got an extra wipe if you hit the brakes (goodness knows what that was about). It just went in the wiring between the switch and the motor. It had the added sophistication of a pot gving variable adjustment but you don't really need that. So you might be able to buy something, probably about the size of a 10p coin these days. I'm afraid that copy of Wireless World or whatever it was went in the bin a very long time ago so I can't help if you're itching to get the soldering iron out.
JH
BP

tinyurl.com/yhtoru

Maplins of course...

JH
JH - great find! Thanks. It does look a little lacking in connection instructions, and a case. :-)
BP,
yes, the case issue occured to me. How many pages of instructions do you need to break into 2 wires? Though in my (admittedly limited) experience of car wiring there is always one wire more than seems to be strictly necessary. Of course ther's also the auto electrician route! That has the advantage that you don't have to scratch your your head trying to unravel the fiendish ways the panels are fixed in place.
JH
BP,
yes, the case issue occured to me. How many pages of
instructions do you need to break into 2 wires?

IIRC, there's likely to be at least 3 wires as there will also be some system for parking the wiper, and that circuit might need to be broken before the 'normal' wipe signal is applied.
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - Rhubarb
Some useful links (I hope!)

Down-loadable Honda Jazz manual (RAR file): tinyurl.com/shyhh . Online Honda Jazz manual: tinyurl.com/y42ne4 .

If you look at the wiring diagram for the wipers here: tinyurl.com/vfk59 you'll see the circuit diagram for the normal and intermittent type rear wipers on the RHS of the diagram. To introduce an aftermarket intermittent wiper control, it would have to connect the LT GRN wire connected to the lower end of the Rear Window Wiper Motor to ground for a short time to trigger one wipe. Once the motor has started, the self park mechanism (shown on the RHS of the motor) will bring the wiper back to the self park position once the wipe cycle was started. You would only need to 2 of the 3 relay contacts on the Maplin device to control the rear wiper on the Jazz.

I am quite happy that the above information is correct but you carry out any work at your own risk.

HTH - Andy
The manual shows the intermittent wiper relay (when fitted) to be in the offside of the rear luggage compartment. It's a long shot but it might be worth checking that the relay socket is not already there and fitted with a shorting plug. If it is, you could buy the pukka relay as fitted to the Sport model.

Andy
Cheers Andy - thanks for both those posts.

It does seem logical that putting an intermittant relay across the wiper switch contacts would provide an intermittant wipe function.

What puzzles me is why the cct diagram with that function looks more complicated - there's 6 connections on the module rather than 4 that would seem to be enough. And there is a separate wire to the park mechanism too. Very strange, but I did ask when I bought the car and when they came back they said it was substantially different.

Anyway, I'll have a look at it and see what I can see. Thanks again.
I have a pretty good idea how it all works but this is probably not the place for it. PM me if you like (it's in my profile) and I'll post you a brief description.

Andy
Thanks - I've PM'd you.
..actually, thinking about it for a moment longer, the park wire on the intermittant wiper motor may well be because on ours, one of the irritations is that if you do switch the rear wiper on and off quickly then it doesn't park properly - it needs a deliberate on - pause - off.

So I'm guessing that any added intermittant relay would need to provide a fairly definite on pulse - not just a quick 'flick'.
I've just come across this www.smart-screen.co.uk aimed at classic cars that don't have intermittant wipe.

Anyone happen to have fitted one?
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - jase1
Surely a properly-designed car doesn't need a rear wiper, except for when the car is stationary when a quick couple of wipes are usually enough? On the move, no rain should be landing on the rear screen in the first place.
Surely a properly-designed car doesn't need a rear wiper, except for
when the car is stationary when a quick couple of wipes
are usually enough? On the move, no rain should be landing
on the rear screen in the first place.

That's true on a saloon, but not a hatch (of which we've owned many).
In fact, on very wet roads, at say 50MPH, the Jazz really needs its rear wiper on continously.
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - PhilW
Jase,
You are probably correct - I seem to remember early Cit BX adverts saying that it had been designed so that no spray came up onto the back window. It still had a rear wash/wipe for removing rain from when it had been stationary. From experience seemed correct- never needed when moving. However, flat backed vehicles get an incredible amount of spray drawn up onto rear screen - my Berlingo is awful for this, it NEEDS a continuous wipe system yet only has intermittent.
You might say it is badly designed, but as a vehicle for carrying the max number of wine boxes in the rear, iit is perfect!! It's a trade-off!
--
Phil
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - jase1
On reflection you're probably right -- the four hatches I've had in recent years have been a Cavalier, Astra, Accent and Nissan Sunny (94 model), all of which have been designed rather like a saloon, with a sloped rear screen and a boot on the end. Tends to skew your opinions I guess.
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - Xileno {P}
My car has intermittent but the faster you drive the shorter the intervals are. How smart is that???
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - expat
Why mess about with aftermarket parts which might or might not work? Why not get the genuine Honda control and put that in? You may have to go round the back of the Honda dealer and talk to the mechanics but it is amazing what can be done for a carton of beer.
Why mess about with aftermarket parts which might or might not work?

I did enquire about having the dealer fit the intermittant wipe capability that the Jazz Sport comes with, thinking (hoping) it would be matter of popping a relay in.

However, apart from the intermittant 'module', a significant of wiring is different (so would need new looms and considerable dismantling and assembly to remove / refit them) and the rear wiper motor itself is different.

This is one of the annoying things that seems typical with Japanese cars - for reasons I fully understand, they only offer a very limited range, and any thing else is either dealer fitted, or is impossible. Foglights are a good example - £100 on a Clio, £350 on the Jazz, mainly because it's a 2 hour job for the dealer to retro fit them.
Honda Jazz - Intermittant Rear Wiper? - nortones2
It appears that all is needed is wiper part Y, part number 35256-SCC-J01 (\ 5,000), illustrated in a link on this site. www.fitfreak.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4561&high...r I refrained from posting the interminable link to the translation from Japanese, which can be found in the first post above.
It appears that all is needed is ...

That's to allow variable intermittant operation of the front wipers. I want intermittant operation of the rear wiper.

Very interesting though - I've searched for Jazz / Fit forums and haven't seen that one previously.