What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Help! ford focus speedo sensor switch - avfc
on following the advice of many previous threads, about faulty sensors i bought a new one and a reatining pin from ford for £26

having eventually removing the retaining pin which many people had described as a pig of job ( i agree) the sensor is meant to pull out of its housing in the top off the gear box.

however mine did not, in my efforts to free it, it has sheared off half way, leaving the bottom half still in it location on the top of my gear box!

any advice how to get this out!!!!!

any help appreciated
Help! ford focus speedo sensor switch - caesar
Thats one hell of a user name you have,well done.
Is there any part of the sensor showing to get a pair of grips round or has it broken inside.
If you look on focusowners i think there is someone on there that says he put some grips on the part of the pin what was showing while his mate gave the grips a tap wih a hammer.
If its broken inside id have thought its a drill out job.
Sorry if thats of no use to you.
Help! ford focus speedo sensor switch - mikej
"If you look on focusowners i think there is someone on there that says he put some grips on the part of the pin what was showing while his mate gave the grips a tap wih a hammer."

Yep - that was me originally - details can be found on a post in these forums a while back.

It was the retaining pin that needed gripping with mole grips and tapping with a hammer to get it out, not the sensor - the sensor itself came out fairly easily. It sounds like the OP has had a bit of bad luck with the sensor itself, rather than the retaining pin.

It does seem odd that it should break in half though. It does have quite a tight-fitting rubber o-ring but doesn't take too much force to tap into place. The self-tapping screw idea sounds like a good one, but I guess it's at what stage do you admit defeat and take it to a garage ?
Help! ford focus speedo sensor switch - bell boy
bad luck there.
i read on another forum that these are indeed prone to sticking in the housing,i can only suggest you persevere with something like penetrating oil and maybe breaking part of the gearbox casting off so you can lever it out.
hope you are working via a pit or ramp mind.
Help! ford focus speedo sensor switch - elekie&a/c doctor
I have just replaced one of these and unfortunately had exactly the same problem.The body of the sensor snapped off in the gearbox housing.I eventually managed to remove it by drilling the centre of the remaining part and tapping an 8mm thread and then using a long bolt to gradually ease it out.Took about 2 hrs of manipulation.hth