What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Golf vs Civic - allan doc
VW Golf Mk 4 GTI 1.8T 180 bhp vs Honda Civic type r 197 bhp. Which one would win flat out on a straight road. Both cars are standard!
Golf vs Civic - Hamsafar
Err, win what?
Golf vs Civic - allan doc
Err, a Blue Peter badge silly.
Golf vs Civic - Sprice
The Civic probably.
Golf vs Civic - Dynamic Dave
Which one would win flat out on a straight road.

on top end speed?
over a set distance, say ¼ or ½ mile?
0 to 60?

Or what?
Golf vs Civic - kenl
I would imagine the type-R would win on all fronts.
Golf vs Civic - Happy Blue!
Civic is lighter and more powerful. I wonder if the Golf has more torque and would compensate.

Nevertheless, I reckon the Civic would win anyway.
Golf vs Civic - DP
I agree with kenl - the Type-R has more power and less weight than the Golf.

I suspect the Golf would feel quicker though thanks to all that midrange torque.
Golf vs Civic - oldgit
I would imagine the type-R would win on all fronts.

Kenl, what are you doing here?

Marvin
Golf vs Civic - cheddar
The Civic would be ultimately faster when using the revs though the Golf would be more relaxing to drive and feel livelier at all but the last 25% of the rev band. Soggy handling though a mk IV GTI.

I was in convoy with a Type R the other week, when accelerating out of a temp 50 limit in top gear in my TDCi 130 I stomped away, the TypeR need 4th gear ( out of 6 ) just to stay in touch and even then he was dropping away until I eased off at 80. OK if he had changed down to 3rd, or even 2nd up to 60 or so, he would have rocketed off though it is not a relaxing way of making swift progress. Great for Sunday back road blasts and track days, not so much for every day motoring.
Golf vs Civic - cheddar
>>need 4th gear >>

needed 4th gear !
Golf vs Civic - kenl
>> I would imagine the type-R would win on all fronts.
>>
Kenl, what are you doing here?
Marvin

I'm stalking you Marvin :-)
Golf vs Civic - oldgit
I'm stalking you Marvin :-)

Yikes!!