What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford ka knocking noise - terry
Hi whenever I apply footbrake I get a one off clunk sound coming from front end any ideas?
ford ka knocking noise - ChicksFan
Hi Terry,

Have you done any work on the brakes recently?

When I do, on reassembly I smear Copaslip on moving surfaces (not the discs or the friction material of course!) to keep parts moving freely. It helps stop clunks, judders and brake squeal.

Could be a pad moving slightly within the caliper. - Remove wheels and check whether pads have any movement fore and aft.

Could be a pad where the friction material has become detached from the backing pad. - Remove wheel, take out pads to examine them (unless it is clearly apparent). If a pad has become separated replace the whole set of 4 with new ones.

Could be a caliper that is not securely fixed. - Check tightness of fixing bolts.

Or it could be suspension/steering related. I had worn Tie rod bushes that caused the same symptom. Replaced the bushes which solved the problem. (Wasn't on a Ford Ka though, but the principle should be the same).

Best of luck,

Ron
thanks ron I had the front discs and pads changed about 6 months ago will check them
ford ka knocking noise - ChicksFan
You're welcome. Let us know the outcome please.
hi ron

took both wheels off the pads and calipers look sound got some movement between disc and wheel studs but suppose thats normal and disappears when you secure roadwheels. steering joints seem OK, but did notice after replacing roadwheel there is some backlash when I turn wheel by hand could this be bearings?
ford ka knocking noise - jc2
Driveshaft.
ford ka knocking noise - bell boy
Driveshaft.

they all do this i would call it backlash in the diff

check whether the calipers have a long spring on them terry or this makes the caliper grab at an angle,i put one back on the other week but it either came off at one side even though it was located in its holes or i fitted it wrong and you could see that the new disc was only geting half braking on one side,
you will see what i mean when you get the wheels off
ford ka knocking noise - the original horse
the rear bush in the suspension arm is a common failing, upon braking the arm lifts up at this back bush, and if the bush has failed the arm knocks [lifts] on the frame that surrounds it .
ford ka knocking noise - bell boy
in response to im45now the poster only hears the noise on braking ,if the bush was out then it would be banging all the time like a ferret up a drainpipe :)
ford ka knocking noise - handbrake
Found this old thread when searching as I had exactly the same problem on my sons ageing Ka.

Last August, I completely overhauled the brakes including new calipers, discs and pads. All was well until around Nov when I noticed a knock when the footbrake was used. Sometimes it was worse than others and sometimes it didn't knock at all. I can't recall how many times I looked for the cause of this problem! Even when the knock was apparent, the brakes were OK (by Ka standards) and it sailed through its MOT last Jan.

Last week ithe knock got really bad. so I decided to replace the discs and pads again, this time using Ford parts. When I removed the pads, I was horrified to find that the friction material on the pad on the caliper piston side, was cracked all the way across from inner edge to outer. This was on both N/S and O/S.

The good news is that so far, and I suppose its early days yet, the knock has not come back.

In my 30 odd years of working on my cars, I've never before seen any pads with cracked friction material. I guess the moral is you get what you pay for. From now on I'll be using original Ford parts.