What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - type's'
I have recently had the pleasure of working with a bunch of guys who IMO know just about all there is to know about building cars. They can spot a defect in a car a mile away even if Joe Public cannot see it up close - and they will tell you what part of the manufacturing process caused it. They do not work for Honda but do work for a very trusted and respected auto-maker. The general consensus among this group is that they cannot understand how Honda can build a car that is so well engineered and so high on quality in the Civic and still sell it at great value to it's cutomers.
I appreciate that it's looks will divide opinion and with this model Honda have done away with it's usual multi-link rear suspension set up (but even with this they say it is a cracking car), I have also enquired at my local dealer for one to replace SWMBO's Corolla and I am being quoted a 3 to 4 month delivery time due to it's popularity.
Combined with Honda's 1st class reputation in dealer service - surely thay have an absolute winner on their hands - or will UK badge snobbery continue to mean it is outsold by lesser cars such as the Golf etc.
Any views ?????????
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Aprilia
I tend to agree with those guys you were working with.

A few years back I was doing some work for a well-known 'prestige' car manufacturer. The transmission guys had an Accord gearbox in pieces and were marvelling at the machining and general design of the thing.

TBH, most Jap stuff is well designed and engineered. Its down to throwing lots of engineering resources at a project in the early stages (its difficult to 'bolt on' quality if the fundamental design is flawed) and high levels of investment in manufacturing equipment.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - caesar
You think that the golf is a lesser car than the vile plastic looking civic.
Dream on chap cus it must be nice in cuckoo land!!
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - mk124
I too hate the look of the Civic and would agree that you would be in cuckoo land and prefer it over a Golf. I think what type 's' is driving at is the build and engeringing quality of the Civic is head and shoulders above the competition. As Mrcedes proved a few years back German engerning is not what it used to be.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Altea Ego
Well when it first arrived, I looked on with awe and admiration.
Well done Honda I said for such a bold and stunning look.

Oh Dear

Time and familiarity is not doing it any favours. It is starting to look distinctly odd and badly proportioned, and I fear it is going to age very very badly indeed.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - AlanGowdy
>> Well when it first arrived, I looked on with awe and
admiration.
Well done Honda I said for such a bold and stunning
look.
Oh Dear
Time and familiarity is not doing it any favours. It is
starting to look distinctly odd and badly proportioned, and I fear
it is going to age very very badly indeed.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

When this car first went on sale I tended to agree with the journos who raved over its futuristic looks. My son on the other hand thought it unrelentingly hideous.

Now as it becomes a more familiar sight on the roads, doubts have crept in. Although not agreeing with my son's harsh assessment, I have to conclude that its design - both interior and exterior - is over fussy.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - leef
To be honest from the reviews I've read about the civic (what car etc) they didn't think it was that great of a car to drive?? I seem to recall it only got 3 stars? can't remember exactly wht they said just wasn't very good.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - David Horn
I saw one yesterday where the plastic bit in front of the Honda badge had misted up like a dodgy headlight.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Avant
I agree with everything that's been said, here and in other threads, about the excellence of Japanese engineering.

But I'll say it again - buy a Civic at your peril, and only if you think you can live with the lack of rear visibility. The increased chances of hitting a child, caused by the blind spots, just don't bear thinking about.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Wales Forester
Combined with Honda's 1st class reputation in dealer service.....

Honda dealers can as good or bad as any other marque, 1st class is overstated to say the least.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - oldgit
>> Combined with Honda's 1st class reputation in dealer service.....
Honda dealers can as good or bad as any other marque,
1st class is overstated to say the least.

>>
Ask my friend what he thinks of Honda, having traded in an excellent Toyota Avensis Estate for a Honda Executive 'Tourer'. He says that it has developed a somewhat annoying fault of 'jerking' slightly on taking up the throttle after trailing it for some distance. Honda, as a solution replaced a fuel injection component (MAF meter, I think) and was told that this would sort the problem out. As it transpired this was not the solution and so they have now suggested replacing most/all of the suspension units...........I kid you not!!!!

Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Statistical outlier
At least they are suggesting doing something rather than just claiming it's 'normal'.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - oldgit
Good point and taken. Nevertheless he is a bit miffed about the general inconvenience about it all and to to-ing and fro-ing from the garage, which is some miles away.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - helicopter
Of course there are good and bad dealers in any marque but I'm willing to bet that Honda (and Toyota) dealers will go a lot further than those of other marques to give customer satisfaction.

Oldgit - your friend would probably be able to arrange for the garage to collect and deliver his car for him if its a warranty repair.

Certainly my local Honda and Toyota dealers have either collected and delivered my Civic or SWMBO's Yaris and/ or run me to work and collected me when I've had the cars serviced or repaired.

OK - its only a couple of miles but still good service.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Stuartli
Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Car manufacturers can't win can they?

Honda, like Ford with the previous Focus (still looks terrific to me), bucked the trend and brought out a radically new Civic. Now listen to the complaints.

Ford, in my opinion, took a backward step with the new Focus. Back to blandness and a "same as most cars" appearance. Remember the complaints about its move?

To me the new Civic has a much more interesting nose, but I'm very doubtful about the rear end's appeal.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - stevied
Can I give my tuppence halfpenny? I quite like the new Civic, not 100%, but it has a certain Atari retr-chic about it.

However, I prefer the new Focus to the old. It has a certain neatness to it that the old Focus lacks with all it's contrasting lines and angles. The new one looks friendlier at the front (I am a great believer in car faces!), sleeker at the back (old one is horribly van-like with those ugly rear lights) and just gels better. Well, to me, anyway.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - quizman
I think the new Civic is the only car that would look better with a red nose, on the front and rear.
Maybe a few rising sun flags as well.
>>You think that the golf is a lesser car than the vile plastic looking civic.
Dream on chap cus it must be nice in cuckoo land!!<<

You may think the car looks vile - and as I said looks are splitting opinion but as Stuartli says - the car makers are damned if the do and damned if the don't try something different.
To sugest that someone lives in cuckoo land when they suggest Honda engineering with the Civic is better than the golf demonstrates a level of naivety and distinct lack of knowledge of the auto industry.
Everyone knows that Companys such as Honda and BMW lead the field with the engineering integrity of a car - you show me a Honda that needs cam belt and associated parts changing at 40K miles because they are made of plastic and failing early for example.
Come on caeser - get an education - look past the badge.
Even Clarkson had the following to say about the Civic:

"Part of it is, of course, down to Honda's legendary quality. Study the results of any customer satisfaction survey and Honda regularly sits at the top. I have a 30-year-old Honda lawnmower that still works. Hondas make the solar system look unstable and unreliable. And with the new Civic things are even better.

Examine, if you will, exhibit A, the steering wheel. It is fashioned from at least three separate parts and has all sorts of buttons on it for the cruise control and stereo. So how much do you think it costs Honda to make it? I have no idea, but I bet a wheel like this is three times more expensive than the wheel on a Ford Focus or VW Golf.

And it?s the same story everywhere you look. Everything that could be made from a cheap one-piece moulding is made from six intricate parts. So, while the Civic is no cheaper to buy than its rivals, and has no more equipment as standard, the value is off the scale."

Actually caeser - I'll stay in cuckoo land and you stay in the real world with your poor VW service, quality and breakdwons.
No breakwons on my 2 year old golf.
Steering wheel made of three parts.Thats it then going to have to get me a plastic pig,sorry civic?
What about the customer satisfactions surveys caeser - I suppose these are flawed as well ?? or the question of value (or should I say overpriced VW's).
Or do they only apply to people in cuckoo land.
I have owned 7 VW's on the trot when I was in the real world - followed by 2 Honda's on the trot. My experience tells me there is a world of difference in engineering integrity, reliablity and customer service - how many Hondas have you experienced against your VW out of interest ?
On a serious note - I am intrigued at the bits that are plastic on a Honda Civic compared to a VW Golf - you do have me beat on that one - I would be grateful if you could let me know the plastic content of both.

Back to joking now - please do not include the plastic insides of the Golf engine though when you reply.

>>Steering wheel made of three parts.Thats it then going to have to get me a plastic pig,sorry civic?<<

I'm on a role with this one - presumably if the Golf steering wheel is made of only 3 parts you will not have cruise control and audio controls built in like on the Civic then - only joking caeser.

I would like a response on the plastic content of both cars though - as I say that does interest me.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Perturbed
I own the new Civic and have driven MkV Golfs. Let me just say that they are both great cars! "Whatever floats yer boat" as they say

Some people don't like the new Civic - really?, couldn't give a monkeys! Actually I bought it for me and the missus and as long as we are satisfied that's all that matters. And as for the member who stated "oh dear" - you drive what type of style wagon?. Oh dear indeed! ;-)
I agree and said from the start that looks are down to personal tastes - my point was that some people in the know believe it is a very well engineered car.
I am interested in trying to understand caesers point about the plastic. Can you advise Perturbed - having driven both - where is the Civic more plastic than the Golf - I'm just interested thats all.
In short type's' they both have plastic in equal quantities, just different textures and types

exactly what I thought !
caeser - are we incorrect in anyway ?
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - cheddar
"cannot understand how Honda can build a car that is so well engineered and so high on quality in the Civic and still sell it at great value to it's cutomers"

I have read this about numerous cars over the years including the Citroen GS, 405, '93 Mondeo, Yaris etc.

I agree with Stevid re the new Focus, it has really grown on me, the current Focus and Golf are attractive cars and are good to drive where as the Civic has had mixed reviews re driving pleasure (I have not driven one) and just tries to hard on the styling front and fails in a 407 kind of way.

I know a guy with a 94 ish M plate Civic, the model that was actually launched around 91 and it still looks fairly contemporary, more so than for instance a 93 Mondeo, however the current Civic will surely look dated in very short order.
HeHe.
Plastic.Thats that horrible band thing on the back of the civic that contains the lights,and that lovely plastic spoiler in the middle of the back window that everybody loves.interior(I know)hmm lots of it there but not a bad feel to it.And the best that lovely plastic perspex at the front that feels shocking to touch.as for my steering wheel i now know what the buttons on the side are for(never use cruise though)Mk5 was a conservative upgrade to the mk4 but looks good.Looks better inside aswell(unless you like in your face facias). No two ways about it handles and drives better than the civic.Also should say i used to have a civic many moons ago and it wasnt a bad car.Now do i know the golf feels and drives better than the civic,well obvious that one.reliabillity well in the recent past honda have been megga you cant argue with that(but im thinking).As the civic is new and the golf fairly new time will tell if honda keep up there standards but ive read there already having problems with it.I know i have forgotten something but you know,got a golf to go and admire.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - helicopter
Mods - Of course you do not have to justify deletions but I am curious why my comment about caesar inserting a paragraph here and there has been removed.

Was there something offensive in there that I missed?

Nothing against caesar or others who post in this fashion and we all make mistakes i-* Ijustfindtha the.textstyle of heeheeposting with.Errorsin.> grammar.and spelling tends irritatesme gr8ly*.

Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Dynamic Dave
Was there something offensive in there that I missed?

Not at all,

but due to the way in which the thread was laid out, is it unfortunate that occasionally innocent posts that aren't offensive get caught up in amongst those that do get deleted.

DD.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Thommo
Best Honda dealer in UK is Grosvenor Garage in Guildford.

Used to be a Toyota franchise but lost the franchise in some complicated big company takeover thing but Toyota still send their 'problem' cars to them.

I have no connection with this Garage other than as a very satisfied customer when I had the Supra.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - andy30
i understand the civic waiting list is into 3months + now.

i am hopefully getting my new civic next week and after owning a mk3 mondeo which is yes, good to drive, but clutch playing up after already being replaced, knocking from subframe, a few rattles but always started, i am looking forward to a honda reputation

i used to own a focus that's why i bought another ford because i never had a problem with that, but the mondeo has been a let down in terms of things going wrong.

the reason i'm buying a honda - the lack of issues when out of warranty. That's when cars get expensive.
oh right.................thanks for clearing that up - I have just looked at a picture of the Civic in more detail and wrt the plastic bits you are correct - but as another backroomer stated overall there is probably no more plastic in the Civic than in others in the group.
I appreciate looks are subjective but as Car magazine quoted "The Civic's beamed straight down from space to breathe new life into a market populated by competent dullards".
You have to give Honda credit for trying something different.
By the way caeser what problems have you heard about with the Civic ?
apologies my last thread was in repsonse to caesers last input.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - Dynamic Dave
apologies my last thread was in repsonse to caesers last input.

Temp change the way you view to "threaded view" and you will see that it is correct.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41668&...t
Sorry type's'
But the two and throw has been kicked into orbit(maybe rightly so)so i dont really want to say anything else.Sure did get interesting but i have had my wrist smacked from the people above so thats it.Mk5 golf is still a better car than the plastic pig though!!
"Plastic Pig" - your a very, very, very, very funny man Caeser. Now go and admire your Golf.
Putting it against the pig,im happy to.
Brilliant Honda Civic ????? - L'escargot
I followed a late model Civic recently along a twisty B road at a spirited pace and I couldn't believe how badly it appeared to handle. The Civic driver was having to brake for bends that my Focus would just take in its stride, and on some bends the Civic was nearly on its door handles.
--
L\'escargot.
>>Putting it against the pig,im happy to.<<

Forgive me for digressing a little but I have this picture in my mind that caeser is about 18 or 19 and just sold a souped up saxo for a Golf - am I correct ? - I am in no way being offensive - just curious.

>>I followed a late model Civic recently along a twisty B road at a spirited pace and I couldn't believe how badly it appeared to handle. The Civic driver was having to brake for bends that my Focus would just take in its stride, and on some bends the Civic was nearly on its door handles. <<

Are you sure it was not bad driving on the drivers part by not positioning the car properly - having said that I agree there is no contest with the Civic or the Golf in the handling dept. - The Focus has em all licked.
>>Sorry type's'
But the two and throw has been kicked into orbit(maybe rightly so)so i dont really want to say anything else.Sure did get interesting but i have had my wrist smacked from the people above so thats it.Mk5 golf is still a better car than the plastic pig though!!<<

Apologies I did not see this before my last thread.
As you say the to and fro (I think that is what you meant) was all good sport. It would be a boring world if we all drove the same cars and had the same views. I too love the Golf and on a different thread stated I was sorry not to be driving one now. My last purchase (Accord type s) was shortlisted with the MkV GTI - I went for the Honda because of my poor VW dealer experience.
Enjoy it what ever you drive.