Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - BigPhil
My car is doing my nut, in the last month it has had a new thermostat, and subsequently a new pipe where the coolant is returned from the engine. The car is presently drinking about 2 litres of coolant per day, even though I only make short journeys, and the heater has now decided not to function properly until after about 20 minutes of having the engine on.

When topped up the coolant seems to just disappear, and the coolant bottle emits a burning smell. I have checked under the oil filler cap and the oil is fine. I dont know if the thermostat has gone again, or there is a more serious problem with the cooling system or engine.

I would be grateful for any opinion as to whether it is worth repairing again or to start looking for a another car.

Many Thanks

Big Phil
Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - mss1tw
Is the exhaust very steamy?
No exhaust is fine and the engine runs very smoothly, dont think its the head gasket has have had a HG failure in a previous car. The temperature guage as well stays in the centre despite the car being very low on coolant.

Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - Collos25
If its not leaking then its the head gasget.
Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - Peter D
You said Auto. You had better check the gearbox oil is not full of water. Many auto's cool the oil trough an exchanger at the bottom the rad. Mind you, you are loosing a lot so I think you have a pin whole leak somewhere. Very difficult to find. Regards Peter
Burning small in th header tank. Go and have a HC test done on those fumes. You could be burning the water off in a cylinder. Do it soon as you could be running up a much bigger bill with an overheat and warped head or even block. Regards Peter
Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - Altea Ego
the radiators go on these, (only leak when hot and under pressure)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Megane 1.6e Auto 96 - Drinking Coolant - David Horn
Hypothetically, could you add something to coolant that flouresces, then search around the engine bay with a UV light at night to find out where something's leaking?
As it is very cold at present go out at night get the engine hot and search with a torch as you may find the steam in the cold air. Regards Peter
Thanks for the replies, have decided to look at other cars, the car has however been fine over the weekend, dont think the garage had done something right, as the coolant level mysteriously was at the max mark when I checked again over the weekend, dont know if there was an airlock, but all seems fine again.....