BMW heating problem - Punctured Bicycle
the heating on my 5 series (S reg) has just packed up. I think it might be that the fans have failed as even on max I cannot get any airflow from the fans except on front windscreen demister, and even then it is cold

The question is, does anyone know if this is likely to be an expensive repair job, or could it be quite simple? I really don't want to spend hundreds of pounds. Could it be a fuse, and is this easy the fix myself

Thanks for any advice

Alex
BMW heating problem - Armitage Shanks {p}
Simple fix would be to check the fuse IMHO. Even in a BMW that shouldn't cost hundreds! Other fan problems, mentioned in this forum, have related to the "Resistor Pack" although this has been for fans that blow at top speed all the time, regardless of switch position.
BMW heating problem - Aprilia
These don't have a resistor pack. The speed is controlled by an ECU. These ECU's can fail (although that may not be the case here) - ask me how I know!

Check the basics first (fuses) and make sure hot water is circulating through the matrix (i.e. no airlocks, blockages) feel inlet and outlet hoses.
BMW heating problem - elekie&a/c doctor
If the fan speed increments increase/decrease on the climate control display panel and there is no blower fan,the most common fault is the fan speed control module has failed .Not too difficult to replace (in heater box ,drivers side footwell).Cost of part about £60 from BMW.
BMW heating problem - dollygolfmids
it does have a resistor pack... and they do fail.. usuall symptons are no control over fan speed at all. its either on full fan all the time, or nothing. remove the kick trim panel from the driver footwell, then remove the trim in the footwell agaisnt the centre console ( phillips screws a couple of plastic rivets i think )

as u look into the lower centre console where you have removed the trim you are looking for a square shiney thing with a connector on it ( heater resistor ) using a long flat screwdriver, lever the plastic (which is holding it in)at the top ... out the way and pull out...
BMW heating problem - Aprilia
it does have a resistor pack... and they do fail.. usuall
symptons are no control over fan speed at all. its either
on full fan all the time, or nothing.

Well, the one I fixed had no resistor pack. Like "elec & a/c doctor" (above) has said, it had an ECU (control module) which seemed to consist of various electronic components and a power transistor. Is that what you're talking about?
I don't think any climate-control type systems would have a resistor pack, you only normally get them where there is a multi-position mechanical switch. At least that's where I've seen them, not on climate control systems.