What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - nambarry
My 97 1.3 endura engine ford fiesta starts and drives ok idles ok but when you give it a hard rev it does'nt return to idle it cuts out but will restart no problem, its becoming a real pain and dangerous when it cuts out when stopping at junctions etc

Can anybody help
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - Railroad.
Most likely the Idle Speed Control Valve. They get carboned up and a good clean with carburettor cleaner should do the trick...
The car idles fine until you give it a hard rev, it does'nt return to idle it cuts out.

If it was the idle speed control valve surely the idle would be affected all the time
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - Dynamic Dave
Try this previous suggestion:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=21...4
The previous suggestion is for a completely different fault.

Come on guys help me out here its getting dangerous now cutting out when stopping at junctions and rounabouts etc
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - Dynamic Dave
But the suggestion resets the ecu - and it is a Ford revving related problem. As it costs nothing to try, what have you got to lose?
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Single (CFi) or multipoint injection?
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Its multipoint injection
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - bell boy
endura 1.3 multipoint? must be a special import.
IIRC the endura always was multipoint. Suggest carefullty clean the throttle butterfly area and remove and wash out the idle speed control valve which may need replacing.
Andrew
--
I'll clean and replace if needed the idle speed control valve which i suspected.

Thanks for the advice guys
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - Steveo4869
Had exactly same problem with a 96 1.3 fiesta after cleaning then replacing idle control valve which made no difference, I checked and adjusted all valve clearances as per haynes manual, a 20 min job which instantly cured the problem and it now revs and idles perfectly. Might be worth a try.
Steevo
Steve,thanks, you jogged my memory with that one about the valve clearances. I think that was the reason ford opened out the exhaust clearance from late 90's. Usually a BIIIG sticker on the valve cover on the affected variants.
Andrew
--
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - madf
You have cleane dall the HT leads and sprayed with WD40?

Son's 1.1 Fiesta has idling problems in wet wintry weather until I do that every year - usually when it's cold and wet:-)
madf
I removed the idle speed control valve and cleaned it out and also cleaned around the throttle buterfly,

Car is much better but still for some reason when braking hard on approach to junctions or generally when stopping car does'nt return to idle it cuts out. restarts no problem
97 Ford fiesta 1.3 cutting out - elekie&a/c doctor
as previously suggested this is a very common fault on this model and it is usually the idle control valve at fault.However there is a "tweak" that may help your problem.At the end of the valve ,in the centre ( wire connection end)you will find some soft silicon putty.Carefully dig this out to reveal a large cross head screw.Now with a bit of trial & error you can adjust the tension on the internal spring & thus the damping of the valve.Suggest try 1/4 turn at a time.