Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - James_tddi
Morning All,

I've got a Focus Tddi that needs two replacement tyres.
Tyres are 185/65 H14 Pirelli P6000.
I'm happy with the tyres, they appear to give a good compromise of grip and tyre wear, however they must be the noisiest tyres I've ever had on a car!

So, I'm happy to have P6000's refitted, but thought I'd ask if anyone on here has any other suggestions?

Cheers!
James
Replacement Tyre Advice - Red Baron
This may sound like a silly question, but it will make suggestions much easier?

What are your priorities in terms of tyres?

Quiet
Low fuel consumption
Good grip on the wet
Cheap

Low fuel consumption will mean Michelin Energy or some other such fuel saver tyre. These will also tend to be quiet as the harder compound moves about less and the profile is less pronounced. However, this type of tyre will also tend to be less good in the wet and the cold.

Replacement Tyre Advice - Hamsafar
Pirelli P7s, these are better in all respects - noise, wear, grip, comfort, handling, style.
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - Roly93
Our Focus 1.6 Zetec came with Conti Eco Contacts which seem to be quite a nice tyre all round in terms of grip quietness etc.
Thanks for the replies, and in answer to the questions...

My priorities are...
Good grip, in both dry and wet
Reasonable wear rate - I could just put yokohama's on, they would grip well, but the wear rate would be bad!
Price is a consideration, but I don't mind paying for good tyres.
The quiet bit is not really an issue, it just surprises me how noisy the p6000 actually are, compared with the Goodyear NCT5's that were on previously.

I've heard the P7's recommended a few times on here, but I can't seem to find them in 185/65 H14 size ?

Not thought about Continentals - will have a look now.....

James
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - Graemetdci
What about Vredestein Hi-Tracs - this tyre came top in the Auto express tyre test conducted earlier this year and the test was of similar tyre sizes to what you are looking for (one of the test cars was also a Focus IIRC). They pretty much fit what you are looking for but seem to be particularly good in the wet. Also reasonably priced too. Had them on my wife's last car and they were very good with good grip and handling and weren't very loud.

I had P6000s on my Focus in 195/60 vr15 size and they were ok but as you have found, noisy. I now have Vredestein Sportrac 2s which are definately a better handling tyre in both wet and dry and were only £55 a corner fitted and balanced. Not the quietest tyre though but not as noisy as the P6000s however, they seem to be wearing quicker though. I don't think you can get them in the size you are looking for but I would certainly consider the Hi-tracs if none of the other suggestions take your fancy.
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - Wales Forester
My partner has recently replaced the front pair of Pirelli P6000 OEM tyres on her Focus. They've been changed for Continental Premium Contact's which seem quieter and give a less harsh ride than the Pirelli's.
Grip in wet and dry isn't noticeably different.
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - tyrexpert
You should seriously consider the Goodyear Hydragrip. It came out as clearly the top tyre in the Autocar tests of premium quality tyres.I also agree that the Conti Premium Contact is a very good performer. In your speed rating the Pirelli P7 is not available however the P6000 replacement the P6 is. I have not yet had the opportunity to try this variant so I cannot comment on its performance. Look to be paying around £48 for the Goodyear, around £53 for the Conti, and around £52 for the Pirelli. These should be fully fitted prices including Vat, valve, balance, and casing disposal....
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - L'escargot
I think one of the main considerations is that you should fit tyres that Ford have approved for your particular car. Ask your nearest Ford dealer what tyres are fitted when new cars come to them. There will almost certainly be several makes, so you will have a choice. Alternatively contact Ford Technical Information Centre, PO Box 300, Walsall, WS5 4QH. I've got a couple of telephone numbers ~ 0845 8411111 and 01922 725551.
--
L\'escargot.
Thanks everyone, some excellent information to be getting on with!
Looks like another excuse to spend some time at work on the web :o)

James
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - kithmo
I'd agree with Roly93, SWMBO's Focus Tddi had P6000s on and she replaced the fronts with the Conti Eco contacts and they are a lot quieter, with the same handling. Just waiting for the other two p6000s to wear out now so she can replace them with Ecos.
Replacement Tyre Advice for Ford Focus - Happy Blue!
Had the same problem with Dunlops on a Honda Accord many years ago and I wrote to LJK Setright for advice as he was driving the same car at the time. He advised Avons and secondly Yokohamas. The change to Avons was more than impressive. They improved the whole character of the car, amking it quieter, smoother and grippier. Only problem was wear which was poor but we only did about 8,000miles pa, it was not much of an issue.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?