What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1992 ford fiesta stalls - enav
I have bought my son a 1.1 k reg fiesta it ran fine from the seller to home and then when it was started it will only run on full choke otherwise it dies.We have changed leads and spark plugs as well as taking carb apart to look for blockages but nothing makes any difference.can anyone help?
1992 ford fiesta stalls - rhubarb2
Check that none of the vacuum hoses are disconnected or split/perished..
1992 ford fiesta stalls - bell boy
as said check the pipes, its usually the one that runs to the airfilter box that comes adrift
1992 ford fiesta stalls - mfarrow
^^ As above. I've tried running mine without hose attached and had exactly the same problem!

Hose running between inlet manifold and bottom of air filter is the one I'd look at.

--------------
Mike Farrow
1992 ford fiesta stalls - enav
thanks
one of the pipes was disconnected...got car running for few days but now its started cutting out again...started playing up going up hill also only seems to idle if revs are high.
1992 ford fiesta stalls - Galaxy
Check it has the correct spark plugs fitted.

My dad's Fiesta had the wrong one's fitted after a (Garage) service. It ran very badly.
1992 ford fiesta stalls - madf
My son's 1993 1.1 has the same problem caused by the electronic distributor at rear of engine getting covered in damp grime and lsoing sparks.Every winter in cold and damp. Solution: wait till engine is warm (not hot or exhaust burns). Carefully clean distributor and all ht cables and spray heavily with water dispersal spray (i use WD40 but waxoyl would work - but be very messy).

Try that and see what happpens..cheap and easy...
madf
1992 ford fiesta stalls - Waino
Could this be the old 'pipes blocked by mayonaisse' thing? It happened alot to SWMBO's (now son's) '95 1.1 Fiesta and there have been previous posts about it. Ours used to stall after about 400 yds, then we couldn't get it going again using the starter motor. For some reason, it was quite easy to get it going using a tow from my car.

If you check under the oil filler cap and under the rocker cover, there's probably loads of oil/water emulsion which results from condensation in a cold engine - so it's much worse at this time of year. Apparently, this 'mayonaisse' can block various pipes. It's a bit messy, but I used to wipe it out with my finger. Has the car been used on mostly short runs?

Now that we are are aware of the problem, we tend to keep an eye on things and the stalling is no longer an issue. The engine has now done 102,000 miles.
1992 ford fiesta stalls - bell boy
special leads on these buy a quality set,take one off at a time so you put them on right (they have a special clip on the sides) now you have sorted the other problem,dont forget a new set of plugs ,i recommend ngk for these lumps mpbrefs rings a bell
1992 ford fiesta stalls - mfarrow
The main thing to do when you clear the mayonnaise is to clear out the pipe between the filler cap and the air filter housing. A bit of oil will help get it on again afterwards. I'd replace if badly swollen. While not attached, swill the cap through with some white spirit and shake some up with the holes covered. You'll be surprised by the amount of muck that comes out there.

--------------
Mike Farrow