What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Fords - MPA
never thought I'd write this... the latest Mondeo and the 2002 Focus are both absolutely brilliant. In Ghia spec these have absolutely everything you will ever need.

How much of a discount would be reasonable?
Re: New, but low spec Fords - RogerL
Trip computer, cruise control, headlamp washers, automatic transmission on most powerful engine. These are all items that you can't order together on a Ford Mondeo or a Ford Focus. You can on a Vauxhall Astra, I've had one for two years, got 8% discount as well.
Re: New, but low spec Fords - Andrew
RogerL wrote:

"Trip computer, cruise control, headlamp washers, automatic transmission on most powerful engine. These are all items that you can't order together on a Ford Mondeo or a Ford Focus. You can on a Vauxhall Astra, I've had one for two years, got 8% discount as well"

2002 Focus Ghia,

Comes in all engine sizes, including 2.0 automatic, trip computer is standard cruise control, headlamp washers with Xeon headlamps only.

2002 Mondeo

Available with 2.0L 4 speed auto or 5 speed auto on 2.5L (from march on Zetec S and Ghia).

Trip computer standard on Ghia, Cruise control on Ghia X.
Re: New Fords - stevieboy
I got 10% off Ford- Recommended List Price *and* 0% Finance over 36 months on a Focus LX.

Stevieboy
Re: New Fords - David Withers
I haven't tried out these cars for myself but I have been told that the ride quality in each is not too good. With the roads being littered with pot-holes, ride quality is important to me.
Re: New Fords - MPA
Why I won't buy an Astra - it is plug ugly and the local dealers are obnoxious.
Re: New Fords - Richard P
The Astra is perhaps not as 'stylistic' as a Focus, but it's styling is on the conservative side. Personal prefence of course, but it is certainly not ugly! I was looking at buying either a nearly new Focus Tddi, Astra DI or a Vectra DI early last year. The Ford looked ok, but I hated the interior....far too much hard, tacky plastics used on the dash etc. The Focus did drive quite nicely, although it was a bit unsettled on bumpy roads, a bit fidgity. I went for the Vectra however, and have not looked back! My mate has a W reg Fiesta Zetec 1.4, and the interior is all nasty cheap, hard plastics....that is one thing that puts me off Ford cars!
Re: New Fords - pugugly
Steady !
Re: New, but low spec Fords - RogerL
So, the 2002 Focus option availability has caught up the the Astra 1998 launch availability and the 2002 Mondeo, in March, will catch up with the early 90's Cavalier and make automatic transmission available on the 2.5 V6
Re: New, but low spec Fords - Andrew
Vauxhall at present have no 5 speed auto, the Vectra/Omega only have 4 speeds.
Re: New, but low spec Fords - Fred Stoat
Who needs the frippery? The Mondeo LX has just about everything you need...
Ford vs Vauxhall ride quality - Flat in Fifth
"The Focus did drive quite nicely, although it was a bit unsettled on bumpy roads, a bit fidgity. I went for the Vectra however, and have not looked back!"

Having difficulty getting my brain round this one!
Re: Ford vs Vauxhall ride quality - Richard P
Well, what I meant to say was that the Focus took bends better, whilst the Vectra is better as a cruising machine. The Vectra is less unsettled at higher speeds than the Focus. Having driven many Mondeos too, I find them a bit 'fidgity' on bumpy roads...i.e. I felt I had to make more steering corrections etc.
Re: Ford vs Vauxhall ride quality - Flat in Fifth
Richard P,

But how can you find the Focus/Mondeo as more fidgety or unsettled ride worse than a Vectra? Its my biggest bug bear with the car, the ride is so damned uncomfortable! Unless you are only referring to steering correction and nothing else.
Re: Ford vs Vauxhall ride quality - David W
PBWLR* now has a Focus Ghia instead of the Mondeo for buisiness use and is finding it quite choppy/uncomfortable.

*That should be PBWLR&FF really.

David