What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford puma 1700 16v rattle 2-3000 rpm - pumabloke
I have a 2000 Ford Puma 1700 16v with the variable cam timing with 56000 on the clock. There is a rattle between 2 and 3000 rpm which exists with the clutch in or out. Has anyone any suggestions to what it could be or methods of eliminating what it isn't? Cheers
ford puma 1700 16v rattle 2-3000 rpm - cheddar
You mention clutch, does it vary as the clutch is depressed / released? Otherwise does it sound as though it comes from the area of the clutch housing?
ford puma 1700 16v rattle 2-3000 rpm - mfarrow
Does it happen at all speeds/engine loads? I wouldn't like to speculate but I'm not convinced it's the clutch.

Try and get someone to stand in front of the car while you rev it to see where the noise is coming from.

--------------
Mike Farrow
ford puma 1700 16v rattle 2-3000 rpm - pumabloke
The rattle seems to be coming from the lefthand side of the engine as I look down on it which is the side with the timing belt cover, it does occur at all speeds and seems to get more noticeable as the engine gets up to running temperature.
ford puma 1700 16v rattle 2-3000 rpm - Archie
I think you could have a belt tensioner pulley on its way out. Get them checked as soon as you can. Don't forget that the cambelt change interval is now 80k or 5 years so your cambelt is due for a change if it hasn't been done.