What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Selling almost new car - bert-j
Due to a recurrence of severe health problems I'm almost certain that I will have to give up driving. I bought a new Honda Accord in May that has now only done 3000 miles. I'd appreciate some comments about the possible best way of disposing of the car.
Selling almost new car - mss1tw
Give us 50 quid I'll take it off your hands ;-)

Can you send it back to the finance company?

I'd sell privately though. Stick to your price, be honest, and you'll get the most money for it.
Selling almost new car - Adam {P}
Nothing to contribute other than sorry to hear about your illness Bert.
It's not financed, I paid cash!
Selling almost new car - mss1tw
With my limited experience I might not be right, but I really would sell privately in that case. Just explain the circumstances, be totally open and I'm sure you'll get very near it's 'true' value.
Selling almost new car - Altea Ego
AH but what is the "private" value of a 6 month old car. Thats the problem
Selling almost new car - Vansboy
Offer it back to the dealer - they'll (maybe) let you leave it with them on Sale or Return basis - then charge a commission for it's sale.

VB
Selling almost new car - grn
Defintiely one for our friendly traders who frequent this forum.
All I would say is you will probably be offered a value that won't alter much until the vehcile is 12 months old.
You say you are "almost certain" that you will have to give up driving. By all means explore the options avaiable, but I wouldn't commit until you are absolutely sure you have to get rid.

Best wishes to you.
Selling almost new car - SjB {P}
I wouldn't commit until you are absolutely sure you have to
get rid.

Though to counter this Christmas will not be a good time to offload.

I echo the best wishes.

Selling almost new car - cheddar
I second the dealer Sale or Return suggestion.

Best wishes.
Selling almost new car - Roly93
Due to a recurrence of severe health problems I'm almost certain
that I will have to give up driving. I bought a
new Honda Accord in May that has now only done 3000
miles. I'd appreciate some comments about the possible best way of
disposing of the car.

>>
We have had fairly recent experience of this scenario.
Basically my view is, if you go back to the dealer, you will take a big financial hit on what you paid for the car, but it is convenient.
We had to dispose of a bereaved relatives nearly new car, and I put it on Ebay and in the Autotrader, and to be honest got fairly good response.
There are plently of people out there that are wise to the fact that buying a nearly new vehicle such as this has virtually no risk attached to it, and has a significant saving compared to the dealers, so if you have the time this is what I would do.
Selling almost new car - cheddar
Bert, perhaps post the model, engine, colour, spec etc here plus an idea of what you want for it and, well you never know. Also perhaps where you are, just the county would do.
Selling almost new car - expat
Tell all your friends and relatives. They know you and they know the car so if one of them is interested they are more likely to give you a fair price. Also put an A4 advert on the back windows and get some one to take it out a bit. Firstly it will need a run to keep it in decent condition and secondly people will see it and someone may be interested. It should be a good deal for someone so I don't think you will have difficulty selling it. The hard part will be when you see the depreciation since you bought it.
Selling almost new car - Stuartli
I sold my daughter's car (she had moved to live abroad) on a sale or return basis through a dealership after unsuccessfully trying AutoTrader and local newspaper advertising and suffering wasted cash on advertising.

I then decided to ringing round all the dealerships who held the franchise (easily done on the Internet) - and one or two who didn't - to see if any were interested in buying the car.

One of the dealerships I rang, about 50 miles from where I live, turned up a salesman I knew from some years previously; in a brief discussion he agreed a price for the vehicle if and when the car was sold and this figure, surprisingly, was far higher than I anticipated.

After about five weeks, during which people apparently came from various parts of the country to see the car after spotting it in ads or on the dealership forecourt from the M6 (the yellow paintwork helped!), it was sold and, within a couple of days, the salesman arrived with cheque in hand in full payment.

Minimum hassle, maximum return but, of course, you need to be able to trust the dealership.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Thanks very much for your comments. It's nice to know that there are so many people willing to offer such constructive help. I think I'll start by contacting the dealers and take it from there. Thanks again.
Selling almost new car - Hugo {P}
In addition contact your local friendly garages.

When they recommend a car to someone, it's just as much about the current owner as it is the car.

Whilst you're here stick an ad in the HJ Classifieds with the description etc. Don't worry too much if you haven't decided a price yet. Someone here may be looking to save on the new price and then you can discuss.

Sorry to hear of your illness

Good luck