What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Essex Lorry Driver - Puzzled
On Friday a Lorry driver(Paul Couldridge) was sentenced to 2 terms of 8 years(to run concurrently) for causing Death by dangerous driving. He fell asleep, crossed the central reservation, and killed a young couple.

It is difficult not to compare this case with Gary Hart(who I see is to appeal). PC ignored a medical problem causing him to fall asleep on previous occasions and showed no remorse. On the other hand he had slept for four and a half hours. GH had no sleep and lied about it.

Had there been no injuries in either incident I doubt if either would have received a custodial sentence, they might have even got away without a charge. Obviously neither intended to fall asleep, but the former killed 2 and the latter 10. So is it reasonable to deduce that the custodial sentence was related to the deaths caused? If so GH was lucky to only get 5 years and could get more if his appeal fails.

There has been no outcry about the sentence on PC and IMHO there shouldn?t be. However I wonder if that is because most of us don?t identify with lorry drivers.

Also yesterday a 17 year old admitted 2 charges of Death by dangerous driving and escaped a custodial sentence. But he didn't fall asleep!
Re: Essex Lorry Driver - Donald
I don't know if Judges have guidance on whether the outcome of the offence determines the sentence.

For instance a burglar breaks into a house, assaults occupants and steals:

(A) nothing (B) £1000 (C) £50,000.

Given all other circumstances are the same would he get the same sentence for each crime?