What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Warranty - Round The Bend
I just purchased a Mondeo which reaches its third birthday at the beginning of December. My plan is to put it through a service a week or two before to pick up any niggles that should be covered under the manufacturers warranty - which I assume is a 3 year warranty.

Is this a reasonable plan? Does anyone know what the warranty covers and if adjustments (for instance, jerky clutch needs adjustment) would be covered?

Ford Warranty - Altea Ego
Good idea.

Except the service wont pick up any warranty "niggles" - Sure you will get "needs new brakes sir", ie any items that are not warranty.

You need to present them with a list of all the things you have noticed and want done.
Ford Warranty - kithmo
Only the 1st year is the manufacturer's warranty, the 2nd and 3rd years are the supplying Ford dealers warranty, provided free of charge, providing that you have had the car serviced at a Ford dealers during this time and any repairs have been carried out to Ford standards and only using genuine Ford parts. The 1st year covers everything except wear and tear items such as brake pads/discs clutch friction plate, etc. The second and third years cover Electrical and mechanical but not bodywork, trim etc. As far as the clutch is concerned, there is no adjustment that can be made, it is a self adjusting hydraulic clutch and if it is jerky then it could be down to a leaking crank oil seal or hydraulic slave cylinder, which should be covered under warranty. However if it is wear in the clutch then it is not covered and the bill could be in the region of £750 or so due to the fact that the engine and front subframe have to be dropped out to replace it.
Ford Warranty - carlh
I've recently bought a pre-reg Focus from a dealer in the Midlands, but as I live in Lancs., it has just received it's first annual service at my local Ford dealer. Kith states above that the second and third year warranty is provided by the 'supplying' dealer whereas my understanding is that any warranty repairs during years two and three could be carried out by any Ford dealer. Am I wrong in making this assumption ?
Ford Warranty - Altea Ego
Am I wrong in making this assumption ?

No.
Ford Warranty - Round The Bend
Presumably they can check the car's history from a database to make sure that it has been serviced by Ford dealers?
Ford Warranty - Blue {P}
Actually I thin k you may be wrong.

I sold my aunt a used Focus Cmax in the north east and she has had warranty work carried out at her local dealer near London even after the manufacturer warranty has expired and she is in the dealer warranty.

Blue
Ford Warranty - smoke
When i contacted Ford customer services, and asked about the warranties, i was told the dealer warranty (2 and 3) is applicable to any dealer in the UK not uniquely to the supplying dealer.
I also asked if i could service my car outside the dealer network for years 2 and 3 (i.e. the dealer warranty period) and still maintian the warranty, i was told that i could as long as original parts were used and service intervals followed with receipts. This seems to defy the logic of a dealer warranty, which is why i suspect some misunderstanding, but as my year 2 service is 9 months away, i am not in the market to go price shopping, and so haven't phoned ford again. Can anyone clarify?

Ford Warranty - matstro
Theres a Ford garage near us thats owned directly by Ford. On he basis of this wouldn't the 2nd and 3rd year warranty be a Ford factory one as well? Thats what the dealer told us a month or so back.
Ford Warranty - Graemetdci
I had major warranty work carried out on my Focus TDCi just before its 3rd birthday to cure a flat spot problem (turned out the turbo was overboosting causing the ECU to restrict the fuel supply to protect the engine - hence the flat spot). This work was carried out by a local Ford dealer but not the dealer where I bought the car from as they have since relinquished the Ford brand to concentrate on other far eastern manufacturers. As my car had a full Ford service history, they were happy to sort out the problem under the dealer backed warranty.

Any Ford dealer should be able to carry out warranty work on a Ford car, regardless of where it was bought, as long as it has a full Ford service history or has been independently serviced to Ford's specifications and with genuine Ford parts.
Ford Warranty - Red Baron
I have recently (July) had warranty work carried out (by Allen Ford) on an 03 plate Mondeo. The supplying dealer was in Stockport. Allen Ford asked few questions even though the 12.5k service stamp was missing. The work was good. They all seem to have access to the same national database. I go to another Ford dealer altogether for the service as he is nearer.
Ford Warranty - kithmo
I think somewhere along the way someone added the word "uniquely" to what I wrote. What I meant was that the dealer who supplied the vehicle would also give the (free, optional) 2nd and 3rd years warranty. Not that the work could only be carried out at that location, but as stated in later posts, at any Ford dealer.
(try the other end of the stick ;-))