What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
headlamps - Brian
Many thanks to all who replied. I will probably guess at the position for sticking tape.
Re: headlamps - John S
Brian

Don't really have to guess. Sit the car in front of the garage and position the tape to cover the 'kick-up' on the left of the dip beam, leaving a 'flat top' beam.

Regards

John
A PS - John S
Brian

The light for the kick-up comes from the lower LH side of the lamp as you are facing it, not from the top RH side as you may expect.

If I had a pound for every car I've seen with beam masks in the wrong place..........

Regards

John
Re: A PS - Mike H
John

Your assertion about the kickup coming from the bottom left is not necessarily true these days. My Mondeo and more recently my Saab 9-5 owenrs handbook show where to put the tape & they are in very weird places, which to the casual but knowledgable observer (like yourself) would look completely wrong, and could not be guessed by looking at the lamp.
Re: A PS - John S
Mike

Thanks for that! You live and learn - I'll confine my sarcasm for the older cars then!

I did wonder particularly about the modern lamps with clear 'glass', but headlamp protectors with built in masks I saw at my local Vauxhall dealer appeared to have the masks in the conventional location.

Regards

john