What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - jamoor
Is it worth my dad buying a 2005 ghia x which is around 9 months old for around 13k?
or will he just end up losing loadsa money on it?
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - Happy Blue!
The Back Room's favourite car!

Of course he will lose money, everyone loses money on cars. If he plans to keep it for at least four years, the damage should be no worse compared to similar sized cars of the same age and price.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - DavidHM
Well you might do a couple of hundred better on the price, or get an 05 plate for a couple of hundred more at Motorpoint, for example.

The only other query I would have is whether he needs both a Ghia X and a TDci. It's an excellent specification (fully loaded except sat nav and xenons, more or less) and a very good engine - but if he doesn't do much mileage and doesn't need all the luxury, a lower spec model will be perhaps £3k cheaper.
i am pretty sure it would be more fun for him to have all the toys
wouldnt a diesel hold better value and be easier to sell in the future
miles wont be too high, maybe 7k
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - Waino
TDCIs cost significantly more to buy than petrols so, unless you especially want a diesel, then at only 7k miles a year, you would be financially better off with a petrol engined Mondeo.
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - cheddar
TDCIs cost significantly more to buy than petrols so, unless you
especially want a diesel, then at only 7k miles a year,
you would be financially better off with a petrol engined Mondeo.

No only would a TDCi save 150 to 200 quid in fuel over 7000 miles it would also hold it's value well so it is a difficult call to say that a petrol Mondeo would be a better bet.
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - Smileyman
try the Nissan Primera - select the SVE and you'll get the sat nav, xenons, leather upholstery etc too.

but you have to make do with only one reversing light and rear fog lamp

what about servicing costs?
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - Smileyman
do not know - only to buy the car in the next 2 - 3 weeks.
but my experience of Nissan dealers has been more positive than Ford dealerships, and of course, Nissans do have an excellent reputation for reliability - although I understand the Mondeo has a good name too.

Not sure of the oil change schedule, but HJ's views on extended change schedules carries plenty of weight with me.

at the end of the day, a car choice has a subjective aspect ... whilst costs may be relevant, so are other factors including safety style comfort toys etc etc.

If costs are paramount, don't forget to compare insurance quotes too.
I have had a 2002 TDCi Ghia X from new, now on 94k miles, great car, no probs with Ford dealers, 12500 service approx £150, major service every 37500 approx £240.
Archers of Ashby, usually very competitive, have 54 plate Ghia X TDCi estates with 10 to 12k miles for min £14k, of course they are fully warranteed etc, though makes the £9.7k seem very good value unless the car was tatty, no history etc.
I may just go down to a car supermarket and buy one, unless someone can advise not to?
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - PW
Slightly off topic- Cheddar as you seem to be fairly local to me have you tried Clevedon Motors for servicing? Think might be a bit cheaper than the prices you've quoted (£110 for 12,500 IIRC and around £200 for 25,000 IIRC).

As for dealer service, getting back on topic, have had no problems at all and been very happy with the car.
Ford Mondeo TDCI Ghia X - Vansboy
04 54 reg average £12115 @ 9k in auction.

Have we considered Mazda 6 - seems good deals can be had on current model & used are showing up in auction more readily, now.

VB
havent considered mazda!
although i dont want to buy at auction. are those cars in the supermarkets bieng bought by companies for 9k??
Slightly off topic- Cheddar as you seem to be fairly local
to me have you tried Clevedon Motors for servicing? Think
might be a bit cheaper than the prices you've quoted (£110
for 12,500 IIRC and around £200 for 25,000 IIRC).
As for dealer service, getting back on topic, have had no
problems at all and been very happy with the car.

Hi PW,

Many thanks, I have had good service from Brunel in Winterstoke Road Bristol and work quite nearby so am happy to pay a little extra for known std of service and convenience, Winford Ford are also pretty good though again not as convienient for me.

Regards.