What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.6LX High Miles - Troy04
Focus 120,000 miles ffsh 2000 v reg, Reliability problems with this mileage? What overall things to look for, advertised for £2400 ono Private sale.Thanks
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Happy Blue!
Seems like a lot of money for age and mileage.

Obvious point is cambelt replacement.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - MichaelR
I disagree with Espada on two counts.

Firstly, its a good price for a Focus even with that sort of mileage. Secondly, Cambelt is not a worry as it would have been changed at the recommended interval of 100,000 miles.

I see no reason why this car would provide any reliability nightmares. They are solid, reliable, cheap to repair cars.
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Happy Blue!
Didn't say it would be unreliable, just queried the price and cambelt. Given that you can by the dreaded three year old Mondeo for a grand or so more, what would you have and what seems like good value?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - MichaelR
Didn't say it would be unreliable, just queried the price and
cambelt. Given that you can by the dreaded three year
old Mondeo for a grand or so more, what would you
have and what seems like good value?

I'd have the Mondeo every single day of the week, especially as a V reg 120k Mondeo 1.8LX would be worth well under £2k.

However, we cannot really think like this. Becuase of supply and demand, Mondeos at this end of the market are worth less than the Focus despite being a better car.

More people want the Focus, and the values unfortunately reflect this. I agree its daft, but its how it is, and it means I can buy Mondeos cheap when other people spend lots more on smaller cars :)
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Adam {P}
Too expensive. Mine's a Ghia and only done 70,000 and is worth probably 3 grand. Maybe a ton over on a good day.

The cambelt should have been changed at the recommended interval. If you get it, check.

I will agree with Michael though - you know what you're getting, fun to drive, solid and reliable.

--
Adam
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - DavidHM
I agree with Michael - if you want a cheap Focus, it's okay value although I'm sure you could haggle a couple of hundred more off. I like the Focus very much, but early ones especially ain't cheap so the price isn't bad at all. The cam belt should also have been replaced ~20k miles ago.

As with any high mileage car, you absolutely must buy on condition and not assume that because it's cheap, it's value. As long as it is immaculate and has obviously been cared for then I'd go for it, especially if it has air con.

And Adam - while I agree with your valuation, don't forget that yours is a saloon, which doesn't make it a worse car but does make it a less saleable one. Foci are particularly susceptible to this.
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Altea Ego
SSSSHHHHHH DD says we cant mention the boot.
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - madf
At this mileage you should check:
1. the clutch. If the pedal enagages near the top or bottom of travel, it may be worn,
2. Engine wear. Check for oil leaks/ coolant stains/odd noises/oil warning light on startup. Start if from cold and listen.
3. Ccoling system for corrosion.
4. general body rust.
5. Brakes suspension and steering wear and disks should have been changed by now.

Any signs of bodging or penny pinching on maintenance? Run away.

madf

FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Adam {P}
Mention what boot? Oh yes - that one.

To narrow down one of madf's points, Rust.

Check,

1) The bit where the wing mirror meets the painted bit of the door

2) (I'm going to do my best to describe this area now) - Look at the bottom rear corner of the back doors and jump the gap to the actual car part of that area if that makes sense

3) The part where the rear screen sits in the car. This can move around and scrape the paint

4) Don't worry about the boot strip over the number plate. The plastic ones of these (who am I kidding - they're all plastic) - the non-chrome effect ones of these never caused a problem.

Other than that, I can't think of any other specific areas.
--
Adam
FORD FOCUS 1.6 LX HIGH MILES - Troy04
Thankyou all for advice etc, I'm a newbie to this site,
Great Place !
Steve
Ford FOcus 1.6 LX High Mileage - Adam {P}
David,

It's only because you've worded that so diplomatically that I'm going to let you off ;-)

Still think it's a couple of hundred too expensive though.
--
Adam
Ford FOcus 1.6 LX High Mileage - carl233
I personally would not consider the 1.6 Zetec-S engine derivatives at this mileage they are not renowned for their durability. Valves do not tend to live that long on these units. The 1.8 and 2.0 units tend to wear their mileage much better than the 1.4 & 1.6. As already suggested at this price a Mondeo may be a better purchase.
Ford FOcus 1.6 LX High Mileage - cheddar
Assuming it is a Zetec with alloys and aircon and not, for instance a CL, £2.5k is a great price for such a superb to drive car, if it has been serviced regularly the engine should be fine and even if a few hundred quid is spent and items like tyres, brakes, perhaps the odd bush it is good value.

Must say that while the late Mondeo MkII's, 99-00, are good solid cars, good to drive and potentially good buys a Focus is more contemporary.
Ford FOcus 1.6 LX High Mileage - y2k+4
Time to paint you a picture of reality. March I bought a 51, facelifted 1.6 LX Focus with 93000 miles on the clock for £3,600. At the time, it was quite a bargain find. The values of the Focus don't seem to have taken as much of a hit by it's replacement as it's contempories (Golf and Astra), and as such £2.5k for one is a good deal IMHO.

Just make sure it's got the a/c and not the sunroof, or otherwise it'll be a pain to sell on...
Ford FOcus 1.6 LX High Mileage - Troy04
viewing focus this evening, it has a/c,car is in vgc and serviced regardless of cost according to owner, all will be revealed shortly, im looking to get car for £2200 max.