What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
World's worst motorbike? - Pete M
Following on from the previous 'greatest' thread...
I'll start it off with the short-lived Harley-Davidson collaborations with Aermacchi. I think there was a 350 single and perhaps another. I seem to remember that it was not a happy venture and they were all hidden away fairly quickly.
Second place to the Suzuki RE5, perhaps?
Third place to the Honda 750 Automatic?
I'll just retire to my flame-proof concrete bunker now.
World's worst motorbike? - Ex-Moderator
Honda Dream (not Superdream). Got to be the ugliest bike in creation and full of faults as well.
World's worst motorbike? - cheddar
Agree re the Dream the 400 automatic was the worst.
World's worst motorbike? - Robin Reliant
Suzuki RE5. A mid seventies attempt to make a rotary engined motorcycle that turned out to be a disaster. Top heavy, dangerously unrideable in the wet with an unreliable engine and complicated electrics that constantly failed.

Hardly any sold and dropped after a very short time. A friend of a friend bought one brand new and sold it after a year for about a quarter of the purchase price.
World's worst motorbike? - daveyjp
I'm not really into bikes, but Indian built Royal Enfield Bullets are very dodgy! OK for those wanting nostalgia, but the 350 still only has drum brakes. You need the 500 before the luxury of a disc on the front!
World's worst motorbike? - mark999
Neval Minsk 125 unreliable slow and nearly no suspension
World's worst motorbike? - Alan
I knew someone who had one of the AMF Harley Davidsons. He was constantly boasting down the pub "Iv'e got a Harley Davidson". There were worse bikes out there like Jawa for instance.
World's worst motorbike? - THe Growler
I think I must come to the defence of the Enfield Bullet. In fact the original British 500's (I had one) had very effective dual drum brakes on the front. But go to India and you will see these Enfields everywhere, plugging away reliably over terrible roads and getting to remote places without fuss. They are also fixable by any branch of Chatterjee Motors or its mud-hut equivalent wherever you are. I think that qualifies them as eminently fit for purpose.

The diesel Enfield built for miitary purposes may well be another matter however!

World's worst motorbike? - J Bonington Jagworth
"..the 400 automatic was the worst"

There's an owner of one near here who would disagree. He's had it from new and rides it every day! One man's meat...
World's worst motorbike? - doctorchris
How about that Russian BMW copy the Ural.
World's worst motorbike? - doctorchris
My God, you can still buy them. Included in the range for under £5000 is the military model whose sidecar comes complete wit a gun turret. Sorry I knocked them now, could be a useful outfit in heavy traffic.
"Worst" needs defining. Just because you think it looks awful and about 500 years old doesn't cut it. The Ural sidecar outfit (there is one in a neighbouring club where I live) is a very reliable sturdy old workhorse. Believe it or not the girls love it too, so so much for bling. Tooling down Ayala Avenue with 6 or so sweeties hanging out of the s/car and off the back has to have a certain cred. Its owner recently moved house with it. Took about 193 journeys! Again like the Enfield it's horses for courses. Your Ural might curl a few derisive lips on the Kings Road while the hoi-polloi all ooh-ed and aah-ed at that fancy Ducati, but would leave the fragile latter for dead in the kind of arduous working environment for which it was built, just as it wouldn't be a whole lot of good on a racetrack.

So I think "worst" has to mean, for want of a better definition, no damn good at anything at all. For which read Suzuki RE5.

Oh and the Panther 250. This ghastly thing reinvented the total loss lubrication system, i.e. it would lose all its oil at a standstill in about 10 days. I think it was made in some remote cave in Yorkshire where hirsute slaves in animal skins hammered remorselessly away at intractable lumps of molten metal in unbearable temperatures.
World's worst motorbike? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Possibly the Jawa CZ two strokes of the late 60's / early 70's.
Abandoned examples of which soon littered the hedgerows.

Ariel Leader/Arrow has been mentioned elsewhere as a candidate.
I remember the dense clouds of smoke pouring from them- presumably in an attempt to prevent the engine seizing which usually led to the built-up crank twisting.Several people I knew had a non runner 'in great condition' just needing a bit of work! A pity as they were pretty good looking for their day.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
World's worst motorbike? - expat
I had a 1950's Matchless 350 which would have to be a strong contender for the world's worst motorcycle. It vibrated itself to bits so that you had to tighten all the nuts and bolts up everyday. It lost its timing adjustment so that you had to reset it every week or have the piston burn a hole in itself. Of course being a British bike it also leaked oil out of every crevice with the primary chaincase being the worst offender. And it handled like a pig. Mind you I believe that all this was standard for many British bikes of that period. No wonder the Japs took over.

As for the AerMacchi built Sportster 250 and 350 Harleys. They were a rebadged example of a very good sporting Italian motorbike. I seem to remember Sammy Miller racing one. I'd have one of them anytime.
World's worst motorbike? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I nominate a 1964 650cc single cylinder Panther with a double adult sidecar! I bought it new from Claude Rye in South London for £299 and used it for a couple of years, including moving house with a wife and small baby!
World's worst motorbike? - Thommo
One of my claims to fame is that I have actually ridden a diesel Royal Enfield.

One of my friends bought one as he thought it would be a good 'round the world' bike.

It was awful to ride just awful. Hnadled like a tractor with bald tyres on an ice rink.

He fell off soon after the Channel Tunnel broke his arm and gave up. Think he sold it eventually for something like £500 quid having paid thousands for it. So much for that.
World's worst motorbike? - nortones2
As it could be piloted with a bike license, even tho' it had 3 wheels, I nominate the Bond Minicar, made from 1949 to 1965, in Preston. The first Mk A had a Villiers 197cc two-stroke in the de-luxe version, a 125 in the poverty model. Front wheel drive, brakes on the rear wheels but no rear suspension in the earliest model.
World's worst motorbike? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Nortones, further to your post was there not one model of Bond where you had to lift the 'bonnet' and stand in the engine bay to start the engine by pulling a recoil/cord mechanism? Later this was adapted to be a cord in the dash board?
World's worst motorbike? - nortones2
AS: I believe so. Opening the bonnet was a major disappointment on these things! As you can see if you look at this site -web.ukonline.co.uk/nick.wotherspoon/site/Minicar%2...m

World's worst motorbike? - scotty
I thought yes I know the answer to this one - it's a CZ, but then I read through the thread and I now realise I was wrong and I have to agree that it's really the Neval Minsk. Truly dreadful.
World's worst motorbike? - Tim Allcott
At one point one of my school friends had one with a kick start on the engine. That required some interesting contortions (foot through bonnet apeture) when it stalled in traffic: Much preferred the occasional blagged lift in Marks Messchersmidt... much more credibility.
Tim{P}
World's worst motorbike? - superannuated rocker
I still look back at Bond Minicars in amazement. My cousin married a guy who had one. They were fitted with a device called a Siba Dynastart which was a combined generator and starter and invariably failed after a year or so. The darn things cost about £60 to replace in the early 60's when Mr Average Punter probably earned £15 per week, so we then ended up in the scenario where the bonnet had to be opened and the kickstart used instead. After a few weeks of kickstarting the inevitable happened and my cousin in law forgot to lock the bonnet after yet another kickstart. A short distance down the road the bonnet then flew up and, wrecking the hinges, flew clean over the top of the car. It was retrieved and locked back in place at the front so the rear of the bonnet then floated gently up and down as the car progressed along, until a new set of hinges were purchased and fitted. A few weeks later the whole thing happened again only this time there was a distinct lack of enthusiasm for purchasing a new set of hinges so the old Bond continued with the rear of the bonnet floating as before.
Eventually the bonnet was once more not secured and this time took off and smashed the windscreen! The response of the pilot to this was to wear his old motorcycle helmet and goggles while conducting the Bond until the day came when exceeding 45mph (which was just about flat out) the rear windscreed popped under the wind pressure. Things were getting slightly ridiculous by now and shortly afterwards, mercifully the remains of the Bond were involved in an RTA so it was written off putting the whole painful episode to a conclusion.
His next car was a Hillman Imp - but that's another story
"One of my claims to fame is that I have actually ridden a diesel Royal Enfield"

Fame indeed! I seem to remember this (or something very like it) appearing on Top Gear, when it was introduced by JC as: "a diesel motorbike - possibly the worst of all possible worlds". For once, I thought he was probably right!
World's worst motorbike? - Cardew
The Ural sidecar outfit
(there is one in a neighbouring club where I live) is
a very reliable sturdy old workhorse. Believe it or not the
girls love it too, so so much for bling. Tooling down
Ayala Avenue with 6 or so sweeties hanging out of the
s/car and off the back has to have a certain cred.

Could the reason the girls love it be anything to do with the vibration?
There has to be a pun here related to boxers, which are of course the basis of the BMW generic twin as found in the Ural with vibration to match, and the intimate garment our Biker Mommas wear on long Harley hauls to avoid what I understand to be an uncomfortable condition known as the "wedgie".
World's worst motorbike? - Tomo
There was a very dreadful 250 called the Brockhouse, also attempted to be sold in the US as the Indian Brave, which I remember being disposed of at knockdown prices by one or two of the big retailers.
World's worst motorbike? - Pugugly {P}
Superd Dream 250N. Full of Eastern Promise in the looks. Grossly underpowered, handled like the Isle of Wight ferry in a foce 10.
Dodgy cam chains and alternators.....
Although I have never liked Suzukis since a mate had a GS550 that was very poorly finished and generally rate them one step below the other big Japanese three I am feeling a bit sorry for the old RE5, I remember when it came out, it was at least pioneering and, when it worked, very smooth and free revving.

How about the mid 80's Honda VF750, forerunner to the excellent VFR, IIRC it had gear driven cams which were very problematic, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I have the utmost respect for Yamaha however the XJ750 was a retrograde step from the excellent XJ650 though the subsequent FZ750 was great.
I think the quality engineering and finish of the VFR was as a direct result of the VF750 being so poor in almost every area.
World's worst motorbike? - Robin Reliant
A friends brother bought a BSA C15 which needed new big ends twice as often as the tank needed filling. It was, apparrantly, not a one off fault but a "feature" of that particular model.

The mention of Panthers brings to mind something I recall reading years ago when Bike ran a feature on the top ten turkeys of all time (in which the RE5 had a starring role). Namely that Panther were responsible for the cheapest motorcycle ever produced, under thirty quid new in the fifties for a machine as basic and awful as you could get. I can't remember any more details, except that it might have been a 500 or a 650. Can anyone back me up on that, or are the memory modules showing their age?
'Ere PU - when were you last on one of our ferries? They're quite civilised these days, with indoor loos and everything! Still not much fun in a Force ten, I grant you... :-)
Still not much fun in a Force ten, I grant you... :-)

I rest my case.
World's worst motorbike? - SlightlyFatRep
Manybe not the worst bike, but scariest moment was cause by the 'ComStar' wheels on a CB250N Superdream. Side winds would happily hit these and cause untold problems which never happened with any other bike I have owned. Riding alongside a hedge with the hedge taking the force of the wind was fine. It was reaching the bit where there was a gate was the problem.......whoooosh!

Many a ride home was acompanied with me and and the bike seat getting off the bike together where my buttocks had clenched so tight.....:0)
World's worst motorbike? - Sofa Spud
It has to be the Dodge Tomahawk concept bike with an 8-litre V10 Viper engine. A few were made for sale but purchasers had to sign an affidavit that they would never attempt to ride their new monster toy. Nobody at Chrysler had dared to test the bike either, although it was a fully working machine.

www.edmunds.com/media/2003/naias/dodge.tomahawk/do...g

Cheers, Sofa Spud
World's worst motorbike? - Pete M
As a later thought, perhaps the Yamaha TX750 twin rates a mention here. Two cylinders was enough, thought Yamaha, but we need balance shafts. Down in the bottom of the engine, they churned the oil to a froth, which didn't lubricate too well. The alloy balance between the exhaust ports cooked the top end, which I thought was a lesson they could have learned from the Ariel Square Four Mk1. The cylinder barrel and head was built up like a stack of pancakes, and it oozed oil (maple syrup?) from every joint. The crankshaft was poorly supported, so the bearings died, and the problems just went on and on. It was quietly retired after a year or so, and I don't think Yamaha made any of those mistakes again in their bikes since then.
I suppose the Japanese aren't immune from making mistakes, but they seem to know when to cry enough. The Triumph Speed Twin of 1938 was still the basis for the Trident of the late 1960s. Both great bikes for their day, but practically no engine design development between them over thirty years.
Yamaha TX750 twin >>

Dont remember that one, the XS650 twin was a leak free alternative to a late 70's Boneville, the XS750 triple went on for ever, the XJ750 was four as was the FZ750, the first production engine with 5 valves/cyl, the 750 Tenere' was a twin (also with 5v/cyl, the engine evolved into that still used today in the TDM 900.
"Nobody at Chrysler had dared to test the bike"

I thought someone had a go at Goodwood two years ago? I don't think it went very well, in fact, although I daresay it doesn't hit its stride until it's doing about 150...
World's worst motorbike? - Sofa Spud
>>Nobody at Chrysler had dared to test the bike"
I thought someone had a go at Goodwood two years ago? I don't think it went very well, in fact, although I daresay it doesn't hit its stride until it's doing about 150...

I dare say someone's tried to ride a Tomahawk by now, but, being designed, as it was, with a view to never being ridden, it must be the world's worst motorbike!!!

cheers, SS
"being designed, as it was, with a view to never being ridden"

I take your point, SS, although I doubt that the designers felt that way. I imagine it was the legal department who insisted that it shouldn't be!
The 250N.....yes probably not actually the worst. What made it worse was the fact that it did look pretty and was well screwed together it failed to deliver, grey porridge was a term used. No contest from its rivals at the time, the Kawasaki Scorpion was better made and lighter, the RD250LC was quick and had street cred and the XS250 was not as well made but lighter and more....honest perhaps
The 250N.....yes probably not actually the worst. What made it worse was the fact that it did look pretty and was well screwed together it failed to deliver, grey porridge was a term
used. No contest from its rivals at the time, the Kawasaki

Scorpion was better made and lighter, the RD250LC was quick and had street cred and the XS250 was not as well made but lighter and more....honest perhaps

I reckon the Yamahas were the best made Japanese bikes in the late 70's, I had a '79 RD250E which was much better finished than mates X7's, Superdreams etc and was also a league ahead in performance terms, even the water cooled RD250LC was only slightly more powerful at the top end and lighter which made it ulimately quicker, however it lost out a lot in the mid arange to the aircooled 250E/F.
World's worst motorbike? - oldpostie
IIRC the Indian Brave, a 250 s.v., was road tested by the Motor Cycle, but it broke down so many times they could not complete the test. Back in 1964 or so, I was offered one by a local man but my father refused to let me have a motor bike, just a scooter (ugh !). At least I was spared that particular heap of rubbish. I continued to ride bikes for more than 30 years after that maybe just to annoy my parents.
wasn't the Indian company British owned at one point (at a point near its demise) ?
World's worst motorbike? - No Do$h
Hmmmm. Hesketh ring any bells?
World's worst motorbike? - Daedalus
Hi again folks, long time since I last posted.
I had to think about this, first thought was there is no such thing as a bad motorcycle. I then thought, well my BSA C15 was the worst bike I ever owned, so ipso facto there must be a worlds worst bike, but could not think what it might have been. How do you grade it? What criteria do you use, poor sales, looks, reliability? I can't think my Beeza can have been the worst, my mate would have claimed his Fanny B and another his CZ. At the end I could only come up with the MTT Gas Turbine bike, www.marineturbine.com/motorsports.asp mainly due to it being irrelevant and pointless, it may do 227MPH in 10 seconds or something, but!

I want one.

Bill
World's worst motorbike? - helicopter
Well that one that has made both lists Bill,

- See my thread on the worlds best motorbike which prompted this one for the worlds worst...

I would have one of these if only to have a spare engine for the Jet Ranger...
World's worst motorbike? - doug_r1
Voskhod 175, I nearly wet myself laughing at the test Bike magazine did when it came out, gun gum on a factory prepped bike.