What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
K Series RIP ? - Xileno {P}
I was reading in the latest edition of Land Rover Owner that supplies of both the 1.8 and 2.5 K Series engine will dry up by the end of this year. This leaves LR with a bit of a problem, since the new Freelander is not due until well into 2006, autumn I think. Rather than enter into an arrangement with SAIC, LR are looking into which Ford engine can be slotted in from one of their range.

This presents me with an interesting challenge. I have been offered an 'R' reg 1.8 Freelander quite cheap on the understanding that it needs a new engine. I have not inspected the car but I suspect it's HGF, apparently not unknown on the 1.8 K Series. Now assuming I get the car cheap enough I could
either:

1. Get a replacement K Series

or

2. Being me, I like a good challenge. At work we have a 1.8 Mondeo that's up for sale for £350 (it's an old MK1 model) so I was thinking of buying the old Mondeo and seeing if the Ford engine will fit.

It's a long time since I did a engine transplant and I suspect the main problems will centre around the electronics side. But I'm up for a challenge, will let you know how it goes.

Not sure SWMBO will be happy, I'm rarely in the house as it is...
K Series RIP ? - blue_haddock
Easiest thing would be to buy the Freelander and source a replacement K series from a write off, use something like Findapart and you should be able to get a late low mileage engine with little trouble.

It would then be a straightforward case of one out, one in whereas trying to transplant the Mondeo lump into it will be a massive job and when it's done would be worth very little whereas the straight swap will be worth something.
K Series RIP ? - mfarrow
Can't you just fit a new head gasket?
K Series RIP ? - Chris S
The chances are the head will be warped as well. This means getting a recon-head or having the original skimmed.

Then there's possible damage from coolant in the oil.

A decent replacement K-series engine seems like the best bet.
K Series RIP ? - Doc
I was reading in the latest edition of Land Rover Owner
that supplies of both the 1.8 and 2.5 K Series engine
will dry up by the end of this year.

I thought that XPart would continue to supply the engines.

MG Rover Situation:

XPart seeks to reassure MG Rover customers on parts availability.

Desford, UK 8 April 2005: "XPart emphasises that it will continue the partnership with its customers, the MG Rover and Tata (UK & Ireland) Dealer Networks, and assures them, and owners of MG Rover vehicles worldwide, that they will continue to receive the world-class parts and support that they have grown to expect from XPart.

XPart will continue the partnerships with its 800-strong supply base, in providing world-class parts and support to the over 3 million MG Rover vehicles worldwide.
"

As usual, a number of useful reples. Thanks.

However, I am the sort of person who likes to take on a challenge. By far the easiest solution would be to either replace the head gasket or pop a recon K Series in. But where's the fun in that...

For some time I have wondered whether a Ford engine would fit a Freelander. I am not sure whether I will do this yet though, I haven't seen the Freelander yet and SWMBO is on at me to replace the bathroom, so working on cars may be curbed a bit over the coming weeks :-(
K Series RIP ? - expat
Over here in Australia lots of people re engine land cruisers with small block Chev V8 motors. Apparently they go quite well. Holden 3.3lt 6 cylinders go into Land Rovers.
There is a site here with lots of engine conversion details:
www.4wdonline.com/Conv/Eng.html
K Series RIP ? - local yokel
I'd say you'd be making huge amounts of work for yourself, and that you'd find a replacement K engine for less than the cost of the Mondeo. You might even find a rear-ended Freelander, buy it whole, remove the engine, and then part off the decent front components that you don't need.
K Series RIP ? - derek
your quandary is an interesting one!
however i have identified one problem you havent thought of

when you put the new engine in,
where are you going to get the next one from when that go's

i wouldnt have one on the drive,
i have known three go,
one a brm rover, and 2 freelander engines go in the same car

save up and buy a rav 4
K Series RIP ? - No Do$h
I can't help thinking that if the Ford 1.8 Zetec engine was a reasonable fit for the Freelander, Ford would have done this already?
K Series RIP ? - Garethj
Didn't Lotus fit a Toyota engine to the Elise instead of the K series? The Toyota engine might be a more straightforward swap (bearing in mind the limited R&D of Lotus, vs. Ford's!)

Although of course there's unlikely to be one of those engines in your Mondeo...
K Series RIP ? - blue_haddock
Didn't Lotus fit a Toyota engine to the Elise instead of
the K series?

Yes they use the 1.8 VVTiL engine out of the corolla and celica TSport
K Series RIP ? - Mapmaker
Nissan Diesels are a conversion of choice for Petrol Series II LRs.

I have no idea if this information is any help to you.
K Series RIP ? - Mapmaker
BTW, the Nissan FD33 diesel engine (4 cylinder, 3.3 litre, naturally aspirated, 100 bhp).
K Series RIP ? - No Do$h
Here's a thought.... Rover 400 takes the K series 1.8 and the T series 2.0

If you wanted to stick with petrol that may be the way forward? Failing that there's the diesel unit from the 400?

Or you could just buy a 4x4 that works.
Thanks for all the replies. Having thought about it more, I'm going to pass on this project. I want to get my Dauphine running before I take on anything new. Also Mrs Xileno keeps on about the new bathroom I (allegedly) promised last autumn.