What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Back box - Adam {P}
Hi all,

I've been told I need a new back box for my 1.8 Focus. Ford want £130 which includes fitting.

Good deal or not?
--
Adam
Ford Focus - Back box - Aprilia
I can get those for about £25+VAT from local factor. The hanger is about £2 - I would put a new hanger on (they go hard and crack after a few years). The Ford item would be better quality though!
Ford Focus - Back box - Snakey
I would be interested what a local fitter such as National would quote - I'm guessing around £60-£80.

My 1.8 Focus back box is on its last legs so I daresay I will find out soon enough.

From past experience, the Ford dealer is the last place I go, usually for dealer only parts!
Ford Focus - Back box - Victorbox
Don't Ford have a similar national chain to Vauxhall's Masterfit? There you seem to be able to get OEM quality exhausts at only a bit more than Kwikfit etc and they last several times as long.
Thanks for all the info guys. Isn't Ford's version of Masterfit, Rapid Fit? Or something like that. Whatever it is, I'm not aware of any around here.

I'm not a fan of going to Ford again after the "incident". Looks like I'll have to go though. I can't go back to the "place where I went last time" after we didn't part on such good terms.

Oh well - another town, another Ford dealer. Let's see how these shape up.
--
Adam
Just an update.

I went this morning to get the backbox fitted. Ford Wigan never had any so I went up to Bolton. Gordon's have a Rapid fit who didn't have a Ford part but had the "next best thing" for £90. Essentially the same as a Ford unit but not..a....Ford...one. Turns out the middle part was rusted through too.

The bloke was friendly enough, did a good job and providing the exhaust doesn't fall off anytime soon, I'd recommend them.

The job, all in cost £160 plus twenty quid's worth of compulsory Optimax (no "normal stuff" left and I'd been running on fumes for the past 10 miles!)

Thanks for your help anyway. Quite where I'd be without you lot I do not know.

--
Adam