Mercedes W124 advice welcome - MGspannerman
I have retired the Audi a6 2.5tdi after 132k miles, 80k by me in 5 years, with absolutely no trouble and an average of 47mpg. A great car and so after very much thought and careful looking it was replaced last weekend with a 1995 E class diesel, one of the last of the hewn from granite models, as I understand it. It has had one owner, 78k warranted miles, auto/air con/leather and in all round good clean and sound condition. Just a hint of a fuel leak form the top of the fuel filter, for which it is going in to my local, trusted garage at the end of the week. After a weekend of polishing and cleaning it looks very presentable, just a couple of supermarket dings for dentmaster or whoever to sort. I am aiming to run it for the foreseeable future and want to do whatever is sensible to ensure longevity over short term economy. I reckon to get the fluids changed - auto trans, coolant and brake - and sort out a couple of tyres. Knowing that there are some Merc experts on the forum I would welcome any advice on any other routine or preventative maintenance that would be advisable.

Many thanks, MGs
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - frostbite
Unfortunately I have never owned one, but I do seem to have read a lot of stories about them being nicked.

Take care.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Cardew
Great cars and you should get many years service from it.

However I fear you will get considerably less MPG from an automatic diesel E class than the Audi. Be interesting to see what you get.

On a 10 year old car, I would not spend too much on cosmetics.

Also get it well insured for theft. Lots of them end up as parts in a container headed for the Far East.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Mapmaker
>>Also get it well insured for theft.

Nah! Waste of money. What did it cost? £1,200? (forgive me if I'm miles out...).

Chances are, if it's nicked then the loss of NCB, and the ramping of premiums in the following years will more than outweigh the insurance payout.

Instead, make it nick-proof. Some sort of a tracker, maybe. And a handy, hidden immobiliser - like a tap in the fuel pipe.

(Speaking as one who 'lost' two W123s within a month last year.)

I suggest that the W124 is not a model that is hewn from granite. Now, the W123...
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Roger Jones
Join the MB Club. You'll get tons of value out of the £35 fee. They have just set up a separate W124 section on the online forum; I think nearly a thousand members own W124s, including me.

www.mercedes-benzownersclub.co.uk/

I've just acquired a W126 too. Its MOT notwithstanding, I got my mechanic to crawl all over it and expose everything needing attention, with long-term ownership in mind. In the MB Club forum you can see what I did.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Altea Ego
"Lots of them end up as parts in a container headed for the Far East."

Only if they make it past Nigeria.

Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Cardew
"Lots of them end up as parts in a container headed
for the Far East."
Only if they make it past Nigeria.

The Mercs going to Nigeria are all legal.
They even pay for them in advance with a Banker's draft for more than the asking price!!!
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - MGspannerman
Thanks folks. I would certainly hate to lose it having only just got it. I will see what mpg I get and report back at some stage. Thanks RJ joining the MB club sounds like a very worthwhile thing to do, and as a classic car owner as well I am rather paranoid about minor bumps and scratches so even if it is not strictly economically justified, I cant but help myself getting these things done. Sad but there we are! I spent sunday morning polishing under the bonnet - and enjoyed it. Mapmaker, you're forgiven, 1200 wont buy you much as far as these are concerned, but having said that we are in bargain basement territory. As for W123s, I always understood that having learnt they got it right with the W124s, but let us rather reflect on the sad loss of these fine vehicles. As far as I am concerned I associate Nigeria with 7.5% Guinness, if you havent it is worth trying it. Available from appropriate ethnic stores. And on that note, time for a sherbert,

Cheers, MGs
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - MW
I bought my 1992 230E auto 6 years ago and it has gone from 66k to 118k. Best car I have ever had, and I plan to get another 2-3 years out of it. My policy for making it last is?.

6k synthetic oil changes (Halfords, Commer, or French Hypermarket brands, all are fine)
6k oil filter changes at Europarts (£3+) Spanner to remove sump nut, torque + socket to put on.
18k air filter changes, buy the ?best? Europarts make
36k auto filter and oil change, Europarts do filter and rubber gasket.
18k auto oil change
12k plugs change, Bosch at Europarts (£5+ for 4)
12k new brake fluid
24k rear axle oil change. Haynes says 36K, but I believe this is a possible weak point and the oil is Hypoid 90 (important to get hypoid), is only £8, while the axle is probably £1000.
36k new fuel filter
Coolant change after 3 years with Halfords best red 5 year stuff.
Goodyear NCT5?s seem a good choice, quite quiet, nice ride. I swop them at about 12k, and they seem to last about 25+k, but that is mainly city driving. I get about 22-4 mpg and 30 on a run.
The exhaust aft of the cat went at the rear box joint after 8 years. Europarts best make was a very good German quality and cost about £135 the lot. Still fine after 3 years.
Front pads last about 40k, rears much more. New front discs at 95K.
Wax paintwork twice a year
The Haynes manual is OK and does petrol and diesel.

By sheer coincidence on Saturday I got a letter from the police with all my Swansea details on it saying that they had broken up a car stealing ring for 124s, and I should beware and fit a good deterrent. Amazing on a £2000 car. I always use a steering lock, believing a deterrent of 3 feet of steel is better than an invisible alarm. Get a lock as the insurance payout will never compensate for the loss of having to find another one. Yours at such a good mileage with a/c and an auto sounds wonderful. Look after it and you may get 8 years or more. This is my last Mercedes as I am constantly shocked at the quality of new ones. Moreover, the multitude of electronic black boxes is great when working, a nightmare when not. Your diesel is good in this respect. MB dealers want £95 + vat an hour here!
As you can tell Europarts have allowed me to run this car on about £50 a year in spare parts. I once lost patience with a spark plug lead and pulled it off, wire and all. Very silly as they are tight. Halfords wanted over £100 for a specially ordered Bosch set of leads. Europarts wanted £30. I did replace a whole rear light cluster for £25 on purchase, 6 years on it is still undetectable from an MB one. Next car probably a Toyota Camry or Nissan Primera, but the loss of Europarts is a worry, as in the past, I have been hostage to Saab (sump nut and washer £5, 10 years ago) and Renault.
Europarts = freedom from franchise dealers.
This car is a DIY delight. Every nut is easy and logical. It is really a big Morris Minor. Front pads are one nut, swing calliper up, out, in, tighten, away. 1 hour the lot.
Your car is the one I always wanted, diesel, auto, leather, a/c.
Look after it.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Roger Jones
Good post, MW, and all very sensible.

Euro Car Parts are certainly worth taking seriously. I bought a whole bunch of parts recently to spruce up my newly acquired W126; the cost from the MB dealer would have been more than twice what I actually paid ECP, with all but one ECP part showing 0 at the end of its code, ECP's indication that it is OEM. The only part that wasn't OEM was Bosch -- not exactly a cause for concern.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - Aprilia
Do not use Halfords red antifeeze - the plastic bits on the Merc cooling systems don't like it and will go brittle.

Use ONLY original MB antifreeze or the re-bottled MB stuff that ECP sell under the 'Febi' brand.
Mercedes W124 advice welcome - MW
Interesting. The stuff I am using is Halfords Advanced protection 5 year antifreeze. It claims to meet and be affroved to Mercedes Benz (325.3) specification. It's been in 3 years and I havn't noticed any problems. Anyone else had difficulties.