What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - machika
I went with my wife for a test drive today, in the CVT version. I didn't drive it but we were both very impressed with it. The ride is good and the internal space is excellent. The auto box changes gear very smoothly, the handling is good and the engine is refined. So it is a winner in every respect except the price. The second hand prices quoted on the Honda web site are high too.

The question is whether or not it is a better buy than something a bit bigger, which can be had for not much more money? A C4 1.6i SX Auto, for example, can be had for less than £400 more. A Megane 1.5 dCI would cost under £2000 more.
Honda Jazz - NARU
We've just bought a 1.4SE - managed to get just over £500 off. Arrives in a couple of weeks time. My wife is absolutely delighted.
Honda Jazz - Conditional Identity
No doubt helped by a certain individual in a certain publication singing the praises of it every week.

Will the Colt's residuals hold up as well....?
Honda Jazz - SjB {P}
So it is a winner in every respect except the
price. The second hand prices quoted on the Honda web
site are high too.

Actually, I think it is a winner on price, too!

Sure, it's not the cheapest in class by a long shot, but I think it's better than the cheaper opposition I've seen and tried by an even longer shot!

I too drove one a few weeks ago, and said to the owner afterwards words to the effect of "I'm amazed that such a good looking, well built, refined and tightly panel gapped, tidily handling, well specced car can be sold at a profit for such a price."

I'm not a Japanese car fan (even Lexus or those actually built in Swindon or Up Norf) simply because I tend not to like the finish of their typical plastics, their normally bland styling, or, to give a petty reason, their silly little silver and black labels everywhere!

As soon as I climbed in to the Jazz though, even without turning the key, it felt good. I was amazed, and if SWMBO's love affair with her 306 comes to an end, the Jazz will likely be right up at the top of the list.
Honda Jazz - Morris Ox
To cut to the chase: is it better than a C4 or a Megane? Not sure they're in quite the same class, but the answer's still yes. Clever, better-made design with bullet-proof mechanicals and residuals that would slaughter anything made by the French.

No contest, and that's why HJ champions its cause. Verging on a modern classic, I'd say.
Honda Jazz - machika
To cut to the chase: is it better than a C4
or a Megane? Not sure they're in quite the same class,
but the answer's still yes. Clever, better-made design with bullet-proof mechanicals
and residuals that would slaughter anything made by the French.
No contest, and that's why HJ champions its cause. Verging on
a modern classic, I'd say.

>>

Well, I'm not sure better residuals make it a better bet than anything French. Residuals don't matter too much for me, as I tend to keep my cars for a long time, certainly not changing them within three years. Buying a low mileage,used C4 would, therefore, make it even better value.

The C4 is rated as fine car and, like the Megane, has an high NCAP rating, which is not to be ignored. One thing that you notice in the Jazz is how little there is between the passenger compartment and the front end of the car. Not much of a crumple zone there that is for sure.

One thing that I wasn't impressed with on the Jazz, was the finish on the exposed welds on the door. However, the fit and finish are generally excellent. It is a very clever design but it is a small car with a premium price.

We have yet to take a test drive in a C4, as there are no automatics available in our locality. We will have a better idea when we do.
Honda Jazz - machika
Actually, I think it is a winner on price, too!
Sure, it's not the cheapest in class by a long shot,
but I think it's better than the cheaper opposition I've seen
and tried by an even longer shot!

It is not that it is not the cheapest in its class (is there a more expensive car in its class?) that concerns me. It is the fact that it is not much cheaper than several much bigger cars (not just French cars either).
Honda Jazz - doctorchris
A car's economy is about much more than initial cost to buy. The Jazz has excellent residual value and fuel economy, is cheap to insure and costs for maintenance and repairs are low.
The point about the Jazz is that the interior is so big and useful in a car with small external dimensions. I sat in the back of ours yesterday and at 18 stone and over 6 feet tall I felt I had all the space I needed.
It is not a motorway mile eater but if you mainly do shortish journeys on crowded roads you can't beat the Jazz.
Honda Jazz - Bill Payer
There seems to be quite a few 2nd hand Jazz's around now - my local dealer has 11, inc 4 CVT's. One is 2003 SE Sport with 12,500 miles at £10,695!!
Honda dealers like to think they're selling premium products - that may explain why Accord doesn't sell very well. They're trying to sell it as if it's a 3 series when their competition is Mondeo.

My wife has a 53 reg Jazz SE manual and is very pleased with it, although I would have liked more 'SEness' - front fogs (£350 extra!, although at least the blanks aren't as obvious as on some cars), outside temp gauge etc. The lack of intermittant rear wipe is just ridiculous. It doesn't need a sun-roof (I think they've taken that off now) and I liked the steel wheels (again I think they've now added alloys). I also think the stick-on rubbery bits should be standard on a city car.
It is good around town - the engine is fabulous and it does high 40's MPG. However I read of people doing high mileages in them and that fills me full of horror. I took it on the motorway once - the steering seemed very vague and it was blown around a lot by artic's (I guess because it's high sided).
Honda Jazz - machika
There seems to be quite a few 2nd hand Jazz's around
now - my local dealer has 11, inc 4 CVT's. One
is 2003 SE Sport with 12,500 miles at £10,695!!

That price for a 2003 model is just ridiculous. The Sport version can be had for around £11,900 on drivethedeal.com. We were quoted approx £9700 for a 2003 03 SE today.

As you say, Honda dealers always make out that they are not expensive for what you are getting. I am not convinced myself, even allowing for the fact that I am impressed by the car.
Honda Jazz - T Lucas
You either appreciate the quality of build and design of a Honda and pay the money,or end up with something cheaper and not as good.
If you want auto,it has to be the Honda,Jazz/Fit top selling car in Japan with probably 95% auto.They know how to make small autos work.
I have been using a Honda Fit cvt auto,averaging 43MPG with a mix of motorway and town work.Seems fine to me on the motorway at highish speeds.
Honda Jazz - machika
We didn't get chance to try it out at high speed but it may not be suitable for long journeys. My wife has a dodgy back and she was beginning to feel some discomfort after driving it for only about 30 minutes.

One can appreciate the build and design quality whilst still recognising that it is a small car, with some of the limitations of a small car. As such, therefore, it is expensive.
Honda Jazz - Adam {P}
I'm not a fan of small cars but anyone who pays 11 grand for a not even new Jazz is crazy in my book. (Note that this book doesn't have many fans and hasn't even been published yet!).

I'm sure it's very reliable but the one time I sat in one, (albeit stationary) nothing really screamed out at me. I'm no fan of Citroens either but for 400 quid more, the C4 would seem like a miles better car - bearing in mind I have no idea how reliable or good to drive the C4 is.

Just my opinion though - feel free to ignore it!
--
Adam
Honda Jazz - machika
I'm not a fan of small cars but anyone who pays
11 grand for a not even new Jazz is crazy in
my book.

My sentiments exactly.

Years ago, many people were telling me that I was bound to be taking on a load of trouble with a Xantia. This turned out to be untrue in my case. The build quality of the car is excellent and it looks as good as any Honda of the same vintage. It marked a real step forward for Citroen, in my opinion. As for the C4, well it looks well put together.

Honda Jazz - T Lucas
I rented a Kia Picanto(tight wad)in Spain last week from Hertz.What a good little car,and for really little money.The one i was using had cold a/c,very powerful brakes,5 doors and a very willing,surprisingly quit refined engine.
With the warranty package you can see why they are nicking so many sales across Europe.
Honda Jazz - Chad.R
.....Seems fine to me on the motorway at highish speeds.

Funny enough, most of the Jazzs (plural?) I've seen on motorways have been bombing it down the fast lane!
Honda Jazz - Aprilia
Good car, but don't get too hung up on 'residuals'. By the time you come to sell in a couple of years time the market will have changed (anyone who bought a Subaru Imprezza turbo a couple of years ago will vouch for that!).
Honda Jazz - Avant
SWMBO had one of the first Jazzes, and we had it for 2 and a bit years and 15,000 miles. Very impressed with the ease of driving and the brilliant use of space, but we could have done with a bit more performance, and it was quite frenetic at 70-80 mph on motorways. A Ford Ka is actually more relaxed at that speed. And of course it was totally reliable.

Excellent, I'd say, as a second car or for people who don't often use motorways.

Re Machika's alternatives - a C4 is a lot bigger and it depends what sort of car you want: too new to ne sure but I doubt it will hold its value as well as a Jazz. A Megane is also bigger but not much roomier (if at all) - the styling is a matter of personal preference but the appalling rear visibility verges on the dangerous.
Honda Jazz - machika
Re Machika's alternatives - a C4 is a lot bigger and
it depends what sort of car you want: too new to
ne sure but I doubt it will hold its value as
well as a Jazz. A Megane is also bigger but
not much roomier (if at all) - the styling is a
matter of personal preference but the appalling rear visibility verges on
the dangerous.

>>

I used the C4 as a comparison in terms of price and also because we like Citroens. Yes it is a lot bigger and we are not looking for a big car, as we already have one in the C5. We are currently running an old Xantia as a second car and this will be replaced in the next year to eighteen months. My wife wants a smaller car than the C5 for local use and she must have an automatic, because of her disability. Her disability (spinal degeneration resulting in a really dodgy back and other problems) also makes the choice of car important, as she must have one with good seats and a good ride also. She was somewhat doubtful about the seats in the Jazz after our short test drive, although the ride quality is fine. We have struggled to find a small car with really good seats.

So, whilst the C4 is bigger, it is not too big, but we don't know what it is like for ride comfort at present, or how the seats will suit my wife. As we have to go for an auto, it will mean less choice when we subsequently try and find a used one in due course. However, it is almost certain to be a lot cheaper than a comparable used Jazz.
Honda Jazz - machika
I forgot to add, that we are not bothered about residuals, as we tend to keep our cars for longer than most people do.
Honda Jazz - NARU
I forgot to add, that we are not bothered about residuals,
as we tend to keep our cars for longer than most
people do.

You've already said that [earlier in the thread]!

We're in the same boat - I doubt that our Jazz will do more than 5000 miles in the next 5 years, and we'll likely keep longer than that. The sensible choice would a nearly new but my wife is very taken by the Jazz.
Honda Jazz - machika
You've already said that [earlier in the thread]!

Yes I know but people will keep mentioning how good the residuals are on a Jazz, so I thought I would reiterate our position.
Honda Jazz - machika
The problem with a nearly new Jazz is that it will cost you very little less than a new one. We were told that when we enquired about the demonstrator that we went out in yesterday.
Honda Jazz - machika
I have just done a comparison with a Yaris 1.3 T Spirit 5 door Auto on drivethedeal.com. It is about £1000 cheaper.

No doubt someone will tell me that the Yaris build quality and reliability is inferior.
Honda Jazz - blue_haddock
I have just done a comparison with a Yaris 1.3 T
Spirit 5 door Auto on drivethedeal.com. It is about £1000
cheaper.
No doubt someone will tell me that the Yaris build quality
and reliability is inferior.

Nope i'll happily sing the praises of the Yaris.......
Honda Jazz - Carmad 10000
Hi,

I have recently come from selling Honda's and have a lot of experience of the Jazz as a consiquence.

Theres no denying that the Jazz is a great little car. The seats are useful, its got a good turning circle, visibility is generally good, the 1.4 engine is peppy yet frugal and it holds its value. There are a few critics who say the ride is harsh - but personally I quite liked the ride. It is harder than normal but it doesnt roll round corners as a consiquence and suited my driving style.

I would say the CVT makes a lot of sense, particularly as you can use it in manual mode. However, I would say that the CVT makes a bit of noise getting upto speed due to the type of gearbox it is. Also, there is a bit of road noise with the car. You might want to go for an extended test drive or try and borrow a service car.

If I were in your shoes I would be looking to buy a new one and get a bit of a discount. As people have already said, the price of nearly new cars is still high and therefore you will find very little difference between new and used.

Take the following into consideration when making your choice.

1. The car was facelifted October of last year and they altered a few things which included the interior layout, specifications slightly, exterior - lights revised, bumpers, added alloys to SE model etc.. I would say the newer version out is a more desirable vehicle and feels 'better finished' than the previous model.

2. If you were looking at a CVT this adds roughly £1000 to the asking price. So you would be looking at £11,500 for a new facelifted 1.4 Jazz CVT SE (+ Met Paint). On this car you could probably push for £400-500 off depending on where you go..so lets call it £11,000. If you were looking at a nearly new pre-facelifted car you are probably looking at £10,000- 10,500 as a minimum. For only £500 more you are getting:

- Brand new car with FULL 3 year warranty
- No servicing needed for 12 months
- 3 Years AA Cover (top package)
- First owner of the car - so you know how its been driven
- More desirable facelift model which includes Alloys + elec folding mirrors, minor revisions to interior and exterior

If you can afford to wait for around 4-6 weeks, you could get yourself a brand new Jazz SE. The Automatic's were usually a bit quicker to arrive than the manuals so I reckon you should go for one of these.

If you definitely want a nearly new example ask your dealer to look at service vehicles/demo's which are becomming available throughout their group. Also, they can check on their computer for cars coming from Honda UK in Swindon/Slough - these are cars used by staff between 3-12 months old and can be well priced.

Hope this helps and good luck
P.S. although the C4 looks impressive on paper, i dont think i would risk it. I know its won a lot of awards etc. But so did the Alfa 156 when that came out - I would wait to see how reliability pan's out. Also, rear visibility isnt great as someone pointed out above.

If you want something bigger why not consider a Toyota Corolla as they do some pretty good deals on the 'T' models. Or if you didnt mind something mainstream the Focus/Astra might be worth a look as again, you could get a good deal on them?
Honda Jazz - machika
P.S. although the C4 looks impressive on paper, i dont think
i would risk it. I know its won a lot of
awards etc. But so did the Alfa 156 when that came
out - I would wait to see how reliability pan's out.
Also, rear visibility isnt great as someone pointed out above.
If you want something bigger why not consider a Toyota Corolla
as they do some pretty good deals on the 'T' models.
Or if you didnt mind something mainstream the Focus/Astra might be
worth a look as again, you could get a good deal
on them?

>>

I don't have a problem with Citroens, having had a virtually trouble free Xantia for 11 years. The C4 is a great deal, even new, and a used one is likely to be great value. I think the comment about rear view vision was about the Megane, unless I am mistaken.

As for the Corolla, yes I have looked at that, but it is cramped inside, with not great boot space. I have also looked at the new Focus and would be interested in the 1.6 TDCi CVT, were it not for all of the doubts that are around about the transmission. Both of these will be more expensive than a C4 though.

If you want something bigger why not consider a Toyota Corolla
as they do some pretty good deals on the 'T' models.

A Corolla 1.6 Auto 5dr Colour Collection (A T3 in all but name) works out at £11600, a Yaris T-Spirit 5 door auto is about £2000 less than that.
Honda Jazz - machika
Hi,
I have recently come from selling Honda's and have a lot
of experience of the Jazz as a consiquence.

The best price I have found so far is on drivethedeal.com, and that is around £10900. I still think it is a lot for a small car. I have nothing but praise for it, although my wife has raised a question mark about seat comfort, and that is a significant issue.

Apart from that issue and the price, everything about the car is spot on.
Honda Jazz - carl_a
You seem to be trying to talk yourself out of having a Jazz, I think your a Citroen man at heart, how about the C3 ?
Honda Jazz - machika
You seem to be trying to talk yourself out of having
a Jazz, I think your a Citroen man at heart, how
about the C3 ?

>>

I think Citroens are OK, in general, and they are great value. Actually, I have been trying to convince myself that the Jazz is worth the money, I was that impressed with it. So far, I am not convinced it is worth the best part of £11000.

I don't think the seats in the C3 match up to my wife's requirements. They are good value though, although not much cheaper than a Yaris. My brother has a C3 1.4 HDI and is very happy with it. The Sensodrive transmission has not had great write ups though. It is a pity, as the C3 1.4 HDI Sensodrive would be the obvious choice otherwise, with excellent economy too.
Hi,

Thats a fair price but I reckon you should still go to a dealer.

I obviously dont work for Honda anymore - but I only left about a month ago so have a good idea of what sort of a deal you could get.

I dont think a dealer is going to be far off that price but they will be a bit more expensive. Genuinely, Honda Dealerships dont have high margins. If anyone makes money, its Honda directly - not the franchise.

I have had a few customers come back to me for a Jazz after bad internet experiences - I think drivethedeal is probably one of the safer ones but from what i recall, micronet was one to avoid. For the extra money though you will get:

1. Dealer peace of mind - a place to visit, any issues you can go to the dealer about
2. The same person to speak to regarding issues
3. Full 3 Year Honda Warranty - some internet sites you have to be careful of on this
4. 3 Years AA cover - again, ensure you get this

Personally I think thats worth quite a bit more than a few £100.

I totally understand that £11-11.5k seems a lot for a small car. But the jazz is pretty worthwhile and will be reliable, and hold its value. Also, Jeremy Clarkson brought one for his mum so that has to say something!

Alternatively - if you fancy a VW I may be able to sort you out with something in the near future :-)
Carmad - i deal with brokers everyday, If you buy a car from me via one of the many brokers you get all of the plus points that you mention and for a lower price.

Drivethedeal to the best of my knowledge work in pretty much the same way.

As long as you deal directly with the dealer rather than through the broker it is a simple straight forward way of buying a car

Honda Jazz - machika
Alternatively - if you fancy a VW I may be able
to sort you out with something in the near future :-)

>>

I have considered the Polo (and the Fabia), however, the 1.4 Auto has poor economy for a small car.

Regarding buying from drivethedeal.com, the cars are sourced from main dealers, so I would have thought they would come with the same benefits as one would get from any dealer. Or am I mistaken?
Regarding buying from drivethedeal.com, the cars are sourced from main dealers,
so I would have thought they would come with the same
benefits as one would get from any dealer. Or am
I mistaken?

No your not mistaken - you get the same benefits as you would from any dealer, only problem is that dealer may be 100+ miles away.

Drivethedeal have been established for quite some time and are one of the biggest brokers in the business so you shouldn't have any worry with them.
Honda Jazz - machika
But surely one should be able to take a car to any of the manufacturer's dealers and get the same treatment. What happens for instance if one relocates to some other part of the country during the warranty period?
Yes you can take the car to any dealer to get servicing and warranty work done with no worries.
Yea, drive the deal are pretty good normally. I was just stressing about being cautious with other outlets.

Drivethedeal can be a bit dodgy on delivery times though from what ive seen - i.e. the CR-V/FR-V delivery times were way out at one point compared to what was quoted
Honda Jazz - JonL
Carmad

A Honda dealer recently told me that the deakership only makes 4% on a car. Is this true or was he spinning me a yarn?

Jon
Honda Jazz - tyre tread
I had a Jazz SE for 2.5 years and over 60k miles.

Ultra reliable, comfortable including trips of up to 500mls a day and averaged overall through entire ownership over 50mpg.

I carried 2 full size filing cabinets simultaneously at one point - huge accryying caoacity and more room in the rear seats than my wife's A4 or friend's Volvo S60.

Bought mine March 2002 for £10,500 and sold for £6K.

That's 2.5 years and 60k miles for 4.5k depreciation -

Buy one - you will not regret it
Honda Jazz - jus
I have read this thread with great interest as I have just ordered a new Jazz SE. I also think that it is quite an expensive car when compared to say an old model Focus 1.6 available from my local Ford dealer. I also test drove the new Colt which was quite good but I was put off by the lack of space compared to the Jazz and by the protruding cup holders near the gear stick which caught on my left leg. Its stupid but that was the first thing I noticed when I sat in the car and its something that I would find really irritating.

So after much deliberation and a 1 hour test drive in a Jazz the Honda won. It just felt like the right car for me. I managed to to get about £350 off the list price which I was happy with. Its my first ever brand new car so I really wanted to buy from my local dealer. I did consider nearly new but I didn't think the difference in cost was worth it. I should have the car in a couple of weeks time.
Honda Jazz - machika
I had a Jazz SE for 2.5 years and over
60k miles.
Ultra reliable, comfortable including trips of up to 500mls a day
and averaged overall through entire ownership over 50mpg.
I carried 2 full size filing cabinets simultaneously at one point
- huge accryying caoacity and more room in the rear seats
than my wife's A4 or friend's Volvo S60.
Bought mine March 2002 for £10,500 and sold for £6K.
That's 2.5 years and 60k miles for 4.5k depreciation -
Buy one - you will not regret it

>>

From what I have seen of the prices on Autotrader, you sold it very cheaply.

I would have thought £4.5 depreciation in 2.5 years is a lot for this car.
Honda Jazz - tyre tread
Sold it to my Sister in law - what can I say, I like her!
I wouldnt say so given that the car had done 60k miles. you could probably have got £6500 at a dealer maybe.
Honda Jazz - CheapNcheerfull
I have a 2003 Jazz and find it to be an excellent car in most aspects, okay it's not the long legged motorway cruiser, but if you don't expect to blast at 90 for hr after hr then it is more than capable. I have driven back from Paris in it with no complaints at all and what it may lack for in high speed cruising, it more than made up for in it's ability to swallow what ever you need to carry. My only gripe with this car (or maybe it's just me) is the ventilation, I always seems to have the blower on to clear the windscreen, even when driving along at a steady pace. On the comfort front, no issues here.
I had a C4 on hire in France recently, nothing amazing, prefer the 307, but on one journey of around 120k, I adjusted the seat to a 'comfortable' position before setting off and regretted it for the rest of the day as my back ached. The Jazz will easily beat the C4 on carrying ability, but on the motorway the C4 would be better, simply because Jazz is only a 1.4, would be nice have a 1.6.
My father inlaw has a zantia in France, when we travel there we would like to take 3 large suitcase and be able to carry 5 people, but cannot as I know the Jazz would take them but his zantia won't due to the shape.

Cheers
Honda Jazz - machika
My father inlaw has a zantia in France,
when we travel there we would like to take 3 large
suitcase and be able to carry 5 people, but cannot as
I know the Jazz would take them but his zantia won't
due to the shape.
Cheers

>>

I agree the Jazz is a very roomy car but I would be amazed if it would take three large suitcases in the boot. It depends on what you classify as large suitcases, of course (as far as my wife is concerned - very large) but I don't think the boot in a Jazz is as big as a Xantia's.

Three people in the back would also be a squeeze, again depending on the size of the people.
Honda Jazz - CheapNcheerfull
Hmm a female idea of large is definately defferent from a male :o(

I don't men american sized suitcases here (According to Argos) H76 W59 D28 so fairly large. I know 3 fit in the jazz laying down, but would not fit in the Xantia due to the slope of the rear hatch on the Xantia. I've also carried a full size washing machine with not problems, but again not too sure if it would fit in a Xantia because of the slope of the hatch.

As Cilla's man would say,

'The decision it yours'