Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - GICarey
Hi Folks,

Looking to retire (as far as the missed on L plates) my current N/99 Renault Clio 1.9D RL, after sterling service from 25k to 115k miles (work done in 5 years: new radiator (another needed now though, which is quite sad), wheel bearings, exhaust, plus new discs and pads on the front when the wheel came off on the M25, but that's a different story...).

Going some something bigger, and which will look good when turning up at client sites etc, with a budget around £4k, thinking 99 or '00 year model 406, Vectra or Mondeo, having driven the three, the 406s have "felt" best, followed by Mondeo then Vectra.

Would prefer the diesil engine pug/vectra but they may come out a little pricey, have test driven a few 2.0 petrol and done the maths on the fuel cost, can deal with that.

However, reading HJs car-by-car, and what car etc, the list of problems is a little worrying, so wanted to get people here's experiences / feeling for what the car-by-car says, all and any comments welcome!

From the car-by-car then:

* Light Build: Guessing this means supermarket knocks on the doors etc?

* Radiators failing after 3 years. + Coolant loss leading to overheating (same problem, or does the latter relate more to hoses?)

* Rear discs & parking brake trouble after 3 years: From my reading here in the backroom, this seems to be that the parking brake dies if you stop on it, and also seen that discs warp (specifically if you hold the car on the foot brake when it's hot?). Is this a significant issue? Have looked at service histories for the 2 i've driven (99V exec 63k and 00W GTX, both 2.0 petrol, neither had significant brake work)

* Electrical problems: I've seen numerous spedo comments (reboot option noted), and also "406 + water --> elec failure" posts. Anything else significant to worry about.

* Boot not locking on remote: i'll check cars and get dealer to sort if its a problem?

* Indicator stalks failing: not seen comments here in the backroom about this, really an issue?

* HDi timing belt pulley: from what ive read here, easy to keep eye on and replace when timing belt needed.

On initial reading this little lot started to put me right off, but reading the backroom has settled that down a little, i'm looking for you chaps to either settle me down, or put me off, once and for all.

Thanks!

Gavin.
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - NT
oi oi Tintin, how's about getting a Robin Reliant, that'll suit your image ;)
Alright Nige, didn't know you hung out here!
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - leigh1
I had a '99 2 litre petrol car as a company car and did about 40K miles in 18 months mostly on the motroway.

The only problem I had was the water pump failing just after the car was 12 months old. Wouldn't really expect this and the dealers tried to charge my company a fortune to fix it.

The only other thing was I suffered from the boot locking problem after about 30K miles.

Apart from that it was fine, never suffered from any rattles, never used any oil and nothing fell off.

I never found a good dealer but I guess you may be taking it to an independent garage.

As a car I quite liked it, really good ride handling balance and a reasonable level of kit. The interior design isn't the greatest but it's OK.

Hope this helps
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - Bill Payer
I've had a 406 Exec 2.0L petrol turbo (1998) - did 120K miles in 4 years and the car held together pretty well. I did enjoy driving that car - it had very mid-range torque and was a great motorway cruiser. It was a company car so I didn't have to worry about the bills. It seemed to always need a lot of work on the brakes (and I'm a gentle driver). I was told there is a 'known' problem with front brake disc quality and they where forever being changed. The Turbo went at around 100K miles. It had quite a lot of work done on suspension and brakes to get it through it's MOT.

I've currently got a 2002 406 Exec 2.0L HPI (Petrol). This engine was only available for a couple of years (on both Peugeot and Citroen cars) and is noted as having 'issues'. I've had serious problems with mine - I took the car over at 40K miles and it's now done 70K. In the time I've had it it's never really run smoothly, and twice it's developed mis-fires that make it all but undriveable. Both times it was in the dealer for extensive periods.

Apart from the brakes, the only problem I've had similar to those above is the indicator stalk 'bounces' from indicating right to indicating left as the wheel self-centres. It's had 2 new stalks but still does it. My wife's Clio did this too - I think the stalk's just too heavy.
The rear tracking is adjustable and get knocked out bumping over kerbs - watch for uneven rear tyre wear across the width.

I think the dealer I use is pretty hopeless - a good independant might be better. Perhaps find one before you buy the car and then they could guide you?
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - Reggie
I've got a 2.1 td that I have had from six months old, it is an R 98 and I bought it with 10,000 miles and it has now done just short of 60,000.

The battery and radiator are original, and I've never had problems with the indiactor stalks or front discs.

It has had one pair of rear discs and pads, and the handbrake is very poor, but always manaages to pass the M.O.T.
The O/S coil spring broke two years ago, apparently a problem paculiar to the 2.1td.

I had speedo problems, and it turned out to be the "interface box" found under and behind the glovebox, £40 for that, and easy to fix if you are agile and can twist into unusual positions.

The most recent failure has been the flap valve under the pollen filter, apparently this assists the a/c to keep the temperature correct, and when it strips its teeth, it presents itself with a ticking behind the glove box. This required even more agility, a torch and scuffed knuckles to disconnect the electrical plug and stop the clicking. I haven't repaired this and don't intend to as there appears to be no ill effects with the a/c up to now.

Apart from normal consumerable service items, nothing else.

Reggie
I think I meant "peculiar". Whoops
Reggie
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - DP
I've had two as company cars. One was an R plate 1.9 TD LX, followed by a facelift model W plate 2.0 HDi 90 LX. The R plate I put about 70k on and the W plate about 20k.

To drive, it's a lovely car. Very comfortable, very quiet even in base-ish diesel trim, and with probably the best ride quality of any car I've driven. I also found build quality much better than the reviews suggest. The first car was getting on for 100k when it went back and nothing had fallen off trim-wise and there were only the tiniest squeaks here and there.

90 bhp barely moves a 406, so both were pretty gutless. That said, the HDi unit felt a lot livelier than the XUTD due to a wider useable "power band" and less lag. Much more economical as well - the XUTD could be coaxed down to 35 mpg without too much effort. Pretty poor for a car that struggles to do a ton flat out on level ground, and won't hold 80 up a motorway incline with more than one passenger in the car (yes it was that slow). The HDi did 45-50 mpg however it was driven.

Unfortunately, both cars were pretty unreliable, mostly due to electrical faults. This is what went wrong:

R reg (over 3 years and 70,000 miles - I got the car with 26k on it already):

At about 40k, the rear crank oil seal started weeping and contaminated the clutch plates. This caused a nasty clutch judder initially, followed by the inevitable clutch slip.

The instrument panel was replaced to cure jumping needles, erratic gauge readouts and most worryingly, miles being added on to the odometer when the car was stationary.

The central locking would sometimes refuse to unlock the driver's door.

The immobiliser left me stranded twice

The stereo twice refused to turn off and had to have its fuse removed to avoid draining the battery.

W reg (over 8 months and 20,000 miles):

Would "surge" sometimes by itself on hard throttle. Letting the throttle up would see flat out acceleration continue. The dealer never sorted this one.

Idle was very erratic on this one compared to the others on the fleet. Seemed to "miss" a beat every now and again.

All manner of problems with the multiplex wiring. The horn would go off at random, the indicators would go on strike intermittently and the radio would turn itself up full whenever it felt like it.

The fuel computer became very erratic and the car would run out with 40 miles of range still showing.

Despite all the problems, I still enjoyed both cars, and as I said they are lovely cars to drive. It's also worth mentioning that the dealer compounded the problems by taking forever to put them right, and in the case of the surging, erratic idle and wiring brainstorms on the HDI, failing completely. Given competent repairs and servicing, I suspect the experience would have been even better.

I could still be tempted to buy one with my own money, but it wouldn't be a 90bhp diesel.
Thanks, at least that answers one of my questions about the engine, I wasn't sure how much the 20bhp between the rapier hdi and the 110bhp hdi would make a difference, that pushes me to go for the 110 anyhow.

Anyone have experience of how the petrol engine runs? To be honest, so long as i can cruise at 80/90 along the motorway, and have fairly decent acceleration at 30-50 i'm generaly happy. having test driven the 2.0 petrol this seemed good, unless people have other experiences (didnt really get to any decent hills on the test drive).

Keep your thoughts / experiences coming folks!

Gav.
When I was looking to buy mine, it was apparent that the 90bhp XUD 1.9 struggled a bit with the weight it was moving compared to a 405.

I assume that you are looking more towards an HDI than an XUD? My 2.1 does have sufficient power 110bhp, but I can't remember the torque figures(and will pull an 1100kg caravan at more than the national speed limit if required perfectly happily and quietly) and on average does about 39 to 43mpg on mixed driving. It doesn't seem to better 46/47mpg though. My only criticism of the 2.1 is that as DP said of his 1.9, it has a fairly narrow power band in that nothing much happens until you get to 1800 rpm then you're away.

Reggie
Yep, would have been looking at an HDi, there seems to be the "rapier" version (90bhp) or the 110bhp version, guessing the 110bhp would be ok, and the 90 somewhat lacking?
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - leigh1
I had the 2 litre petrol and it never felt underpowered to me, although clearly it was no sports car (and nor would you expect it to be I guess)

I think though there may have been a new 2 litre petrol unit introduced around the time of the facelift and mine was one of the first with this new engine so a pre-facelift car may be different. Not 100% confident of this though!
I'll be getting a 99/00 model year car, which i think is post-facelift (...just for the '99), so i guess same engine. it won't be the HPi as i think they're only the very latest 406s?
OK, on investigation, both cars i'm considering are post-facelift (i.e. after march 99 built cars), so they have 20k mile service interval instead of 9. the 2 litre petrol engine is a little, but not hugely, changed, still a 4 pot 16v jobbie, but post facelift they generate 137bhp insread of 135, imagine no-one can tell the difference there!

They did, however, introduce a turbo version of the 2.0 petrol, giving an extra 15bhp, and 3-5mpg less, neither of the cars i'm looking at have a turbo (probably a good thing!)

Cheers,

Gav.
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - Shaz {p}
I agree with the advice given above. If you can find one with the electric issues ironed out - go for the 110 hdi. This should be quick enough - although still not fast compared to todays standars. But you could chip it to get about 140-150 bhp - from superchips/ dervdoctor/ etc.. Make sure raditor is ok (not leaking or blocked - and does not have cooling issues - and it will handle it fine.
Pug 406 - Exactly how bad are they? - Mike M
I bought my ex fleet '99 'T'(facelifted)406 LX 90 HDi for just over £6K at 3 years old with 60K on the clock and a full service history. The only work it had in the first 60K was a
new waterpump at 59K and they changed the cam belt at the same time, thus saving me the money.
I've done 40K and the only problem I've had was a stone through the aircon condenser this summer which cost £315. With a 60 mile daily commute at the legal limit I average 53mpg and never lower than 50. It uses no oil and I do all my own servicing - it only takes a couple of hours (I change the oil every 6K).
My 406 is a reliable, quiet and comfortable cruiser and, hopefully, it will last me a good few years yet.
There are plenty available, so pick a good one and you won't be disappointed.