What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
European Car of the year - carl_a
The list of contending cars for next years "European car of the year" have been released:

Alfa Romeo GT
Audi A6
BMW 1-Serie
BMW 6-Serie
BMW X3
Chrysler 300 C
Citroën C4
Fiat Idea/Lancia Musa
Ford Focus
Honda FR-V
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Cerato
Kia Picanto
Kia Sportage
Land Rover Discovery 3
Mercedes A-klasse
Mercedes CLS
Mercedes SLK
Mitsubishi Colt
Mitsubishi Grandis
Opel Astra
Opel Tigra TwinTop
Porsche 911
Peugeot 407
Renault Modus
Seat Altea
Skoda Octavia
smart forfour
Toyota Corolla Verso
Toyota Prius
Volkswagen Caddy Combi

So which cars will be in the running ?

My guess is that the Renault Modus or Focus will win.
European Car of the year - NowWheels
I have a depressing feeling it'll be either the bland Focus or the krill-eating, keep-rear-passengers-in-the-dark 407.
European Car of the year - patently
There really is only one car that I can bring myself to vote for.

No prizes, sorry.
There really is only one car that I can bring myself
to vote for.
No prizes, sorry.

Three? OK, I'll try really really hard.

My votes:

1. Porsche 911. Reasons: refer to about half the posts that I have made to date on this forum. I didn't think it possible to improve on the old model but it seems that Porsche managed.

2. Merc SLK. No idea how it drives, but it looks every inch the part.

3. BMW 6 series. Flame surfacing shown off perfectly and doesn't it look lovely! ::[ducks for cover]:: No, really, ...

Thanks Mark.
European Car of the year - BazzaBear {P}
Are we supposed to vote for which we think will win, which we think should win, or which we would like to win?
All 3 could give different answers...
European Car of the year - paulb {P}
1) Fiat Idea. Nice little thing, which would be perfect if only they would widen the choice of engines to include a 1.9 turbo diesel and a 1.6 petrol.
2) Opel Astra. I've always like Astras.
3) Toyota Prius. Dead clever idea that deserves recognition.
European Car of the year - Mark (RLBS)
>>Are we supposed to vote for;

1)which we think will win

I suppose, if you want to look cool like "your" car won.

2) which we think should win

A valid thing to do, depends on how strong your thought is I suppose.

3)which we would like to win?

That would be my approach.

In the end, its up to you. If you vote for something you increase its chances of winning.
European Car of the year - BazzaBear {P}
>>Are we supposed to vote for;
1)which we think will win
I suppose, if you want to look cool like "your" car
won.

I'm not sure whether I was clear here, I meant were we supposed to guess which car we thought would actually be given 'European Car of the Year'.
Not that it matters, I tend to agree with your point on 3)
Unfortunately I know little about most of the cars listed, and for the majority that I do know about, I dislike what I know.

I'll vote for the Alfa GT at number 1
err.... Probably not acceptable to vote for 2 other GT variants?
No, didn't think so. I'll have to put some more thought in for the next two then.
European Car of the year - Happy Blue!
1. Hyundai Tucson - the only brand to put a diesel auto into a soft-roader. Looks good, nice interior, decent space and economy without sacrificing performance. And the warranty!!!

2. Mitsubishi Colt, for £2,000 less than the identical Smart four four, I know which one I want.

3. Toyota Prius. Because its brave way forward and becuase Clarkson ignored it.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
oh, I see.

No, the intention is to vote for the vehicle that we would like to see as car of the year, and then see how that compares with what actually does win.
European Car of the year - Cardew
The list of contending cars for next years "European car of
the year" have been released:

What is the criteria for inclusion in next years COTY award?

I thought it was cars introduced in the current year i.e. 2004 for the 2005 award. The Prius 11 was introduced in Spring 2003 according to the Car by Car breakdown.

Also what degree of modification to an old model takes them in to a new car category and thus eligble for the COTY award
European Car of the year - v0n
1. Mitsubishi Colt (because it's the best small hatch introduced in this millennium and it shows to Honda and Nissan that Japanese hatch doesn't have to be fugly)
2. Citroen C4 (because unlike Focus it doesn't try to be the previous model, and unlike Astra it doesn't try to be other manufacturer's previous model - C4 is 5 years ahead right now.
3. Seat Altea (if you people really have to drive minivans, at least look smart)
European Car of the year - daveyK_UK
1. kia picanto
2. skoda octavia
3. renault modus

1 - unbeatable value for money & reliable - the nemesis of the fiat panda.
2. - again - great value high quality package.
3. great car, brilliant safety, and 'over-engineered' doors - the way i like it!
European Car of the year - Vansboy
1 Picanto sensible, practical, good value
2 Idea ditto
3 Astra looks etter than Focus - or most family hatches - pity it's not built in Luton
European Car of the year - Canon Fodder

1. Merc SLK, finally it's all come together. The original and now the best.

2. Alfa GT - especially the V6, music to the eye and the ear.

3. Mits Colt - nothing special but I've got a liking for these snappy jappy superminis....

CF
European Car of the year - Dulwich Estate
Please pardon me for appearing (being?) very thick, buy how does a Korean or Japanese car become labelled "European"?
European Car of the year - Altea Ego
This list makes me feel depressed. Is this the best they can come up with for the car of the year? Mind you - didnt the Fiat 128 become car of the year once? what a year that must have been!

Anyway

1 / Audi A6 -
2 / Renault Modus
3 / BMW 6

European Car of the year - Imagos
didnt the Fiat 128 become car of the year
once? what a year that must have been!

indeed it did 1970 was the year.
www.caroftheyear.org/pages/Previous.htm#7
This list makes me feel depressed. Is this the best they
can come up with for the car of the year? Mind
you - didnt the Fiat 128 become car of the year
once? what a year that must have been!

Yes it did together with other automotive masterpieces as the Simca Horizon, Simca 1307, Fiat Bravo, Fiat Tipo and Alfa 156.

C
PS How long before ND bites?
European Car of the year - No Do$h
Hey! There\'s nowt wrong with the Simca 1307......

So in answer to your question; 29 minutes. Would have been sooner but I was in Sainsburys.
1. Citroën C4
looks like it might be something approaching a real Citroen again

2. Renault Modus
Cute, practical, and mainstream

3. Peugeot 407
Just the sort of monstrosity that the COTY judges seem to go for

Just the sort of monstrosity that the COTY judges seem to go for

Make you smile when you look at it, though.

Oh - no, sorry, meant to say you make it smile when you look at it
European Car of the year - andymc {P}
I'm putting in the Alfa because it looks absolutely beautiful, and furthers the cause of the diesel-powered coupe. Plus I do think that Alfa has been pulling its socks up when it comes to reliability and build quality, so this should be a safer bet.

The Hyundai is there because they offer a five-year warranty as standard, something I think all manufacturers should do. Probably the least troublesome ownership prospect of the lot, as well. Hyundai seem to be recovering from the tendency to try and make their cars resemble frogs, which is a good thing.

Hmm - getting more difficult now. Thought about the Prius, but it still runs on petrol and if you're into fuel efficiency and "cleaner" driving, IMHO it's still better (and cheaper) to buy a good diesel car and run it on biodiesel. The Altea? I own a Seat which I quite like, but that's not enough to convince me to vote for the Altea - it's alright, I suppose, but hasn't been clever enough in combining the key elements of mini-MPV and sporty hatch - plus it's a bit pricey. The new Octavia or the Citroen C4? Ignoring any potential reliability problems with the C4, I'd probably still put my money in the Octavia if these were my choices - I still think that a lot of people look down their noses at Skodas, and this would be my automotive equivalent of two fingers at the snobs ;) Plus it looks classy, unlike the predecessor which is fugly.

1) Alfa Romeo GT
2) Hyundai Tucson
3) Skoda Octavia

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
European Car of the year - Truckosaurus
I'll vote for: (in alphabetical order)

1) Alfa GT
2) BMW 6 series
3) Chrysler 300C (purely for the sound of the Hemi engine)
Oh - no, sorry, meant to say you make it smile
when you look at it

I had one of them staring at me t'other day, and it didn't look like a smile so much as an open-mouthed daze, like someone in shock.

I know I'm no oil painting, but things have gone too far when even a car expresses its disapproval so clearly.

(Mind you, I saw a Maybach yesterday, in a two-tone brown which looked like camel dung. Now that's a seriously ugly motor)
I saw a Maybach yesterday, ... a seriously ugly motor

Oh I do agree. All car design seeks to send a message to others. With some BMWs, I think the message is "Please move over. Any time in the next few seconds is fine".

With Maybach, I think it's along the lines of "I'm so rich I don't need to care what you think of my taste".

I love the story of the shiek who bought a Maybach 62 for himself, plus a 57 for the (favourite?) wife "so that she could go shopping". I don't think he means Tesco*, somehow.

-------------------
*perhaps Waitrose....
No Wheels: "I saw a Maybach yesterday, ... a seriously ugly motor"

Patently: "Oh I do agree."

those two agreeing ? Its not Friday, is it ? Oh its wednesday - I've always found wednesdays a little confusing.
those two agreeing ? Its not Friday, is it ?

We usually mange to agree on about one thing a week. It's our way of surprising each other and unsettling other BackRoomers :)
those two agreeing ? Its not Friday, is it ?

Have to keep you on your toes, Mark....
European Car of the year - alex

What must be remembered is that the judges will be voting for safe, practical cars which are accessible to the public at large.

That would therefore disqualify luxury vehicles. It would also rule out any vehicle with a less than four star safety score.

alex
European Car of the year - Paul Robinson
On the basis that 7 out of the last 10 winners were Italian or French, I'll pick for my three:

1 - Alfa GT
2 - Citroen C4
3 - Renault Modus
European Car of the year - Dynamic Dave

Just pushing this back up to the top of the list again.

Nobody has voted since the 8th Sept.

Mark will be adding up the votes in this thread in the next day or two, The 14 cars shortlisted will then go forward into a poll.

You'll then be able to vote for the BackRoom European Car Of the Year from that list.

DD.
I'll be locking this thread and counting up some time this afternoon.

So if you want to vote, get on with it.
European Car of the year - DavidHM
1. Opel Astra - it's a pretty complete car, decent value, decent drive.
2. Renault Modus - like a Jazz that rides properly and comes with a diesel, even if it's built by petulant French waiters.
3. Seat Altea - a half convincing sporty MPV.

I would like to vote like Patently but somehow COTY seems to be about mainstream cars that either reflect the Zeitgeist or stand a step in front of it.
I would like to vote like Patently

Gosh, thanks!
European Car of the year - Victorbox
1. Vauxhall Astra
2. Vauxhall Tigra
3. Vauxhall Cavalier (Mk3)
European Car of the year - SpamCan61 {P}
1. Vauxhall Astra - born & bred in Luton,it's a genetic thing ;-)
2. Peugeot 407 - I like the looks
3. BMW6 - I like the looks
4. Vauxhall Cavalier (Mk3) hear hear Victorbox!
4. Vauxhall Cavalier (Mk3)

Is this one hidden in the list at the top of the page somewhere?
European Car of the year - SpamCan61 {P}
Somehow it doesn't appear in the official list, a scandalous omission! ;-)
a scandalous omission! ;-)

I agree. If it had been there, it would have also got a vote from me.
European Car of the year - Victorbox
Hijacking this thread slightly - sorry - any Vauxhall lovers may like to know it is the fantastic All Vauxhall Rally at Billing Aquadrome in Northamptonshire this Friday 17th Sept to Sunday 19th Sept. Oh Heaven!
Chrysler
Merc CLK
Merc A class
European Car of the year - Stargazer {P}
Curious, what happened to the new Volvo S40 or V50?

1. Merc CLK
2. Skoda Octavia
3. Afla GT
European Car of the year - just a bloke
OK...

1) Alfa GT
2) FIAT Idea
3) Skoda Octavia
European Car of the year - Hawesy1982
Kia Picanto <--- Amazing value for money
Alfa GT <--- Drop dead gorgeous
Peugeot 407 <--- Don't French or Italian cars always win this?