What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - legacylad
After glowing reports from several sources, SWMBO is now considering the Jazz with manual box, as a (2nd hand)Lexus Is200, which was my original recommendation, is simply not practical for her current business requirements as carrying bulky objects is a pre requisite and my Legacy estate is 'boring (her words) and has to go.

As posted earlier, I have talked her out of a MB Vaneo (praise be)and she is not keen on the Berlingo type multivans.My local dealer offers no discount from new (she has no p/ex)and only £300 off an ex demo, so we are currently looking at sourcing from a UK supplied internet site.

My initial impression is that it is underpowered when fully loaded, but as 200 mile journeys are few and far between this is not an issue, and no diesel version is envisaged to provide extra torque.Should she go for new, or buy 2nd hand privately?I have bought previously from auctions, but contacts in the trade tell me that the Jazz is rarely seen, if ever, at auction.

Do any owners in the BR have any feedback on this motor please?

Honda Jazz - Avant
SWMBO had one of the first Jazzes (April 02) until a month ago. Absolutely faultless on delivery from Marshall of Reading and throughout 15,000 miles. Only reason for trading it in (for a Civic Type S) was that she wanted something a little faster. The Jazz is lively enough but not sporty, and it's quite high-revving at speed. From what you say this may not be a problem.

Plenty of virtues to compensate:

- very easy to fold back seats down
- 'magic seat' where the rear seat cushion folds upwards
- top in more than one satisfaction survey
- well finished and comfortable
- as much street cred as an A-class and much cheaper.

They hold their value very well so a used one may not be much of a bargain. The SE is the best bet - the Sport isn't worth the extra £1000.

It's a pity that Honda don't offer a bigger engine - it may not fit unde the sloping bonnet.
Honda Jazz - Bill Payer
It's a pity that Honda don't offer a bigger engine -
it may not fit unde the sloping bonnet.

In Japan (where it's called Honda Fit) they offer 1.5L VTEC engine, and they also do a 1.5L version of the 'standard' engine.
They're made RHD for Japan, so should be too difficult to bring over here - however I think the VTEC is very high spec, leather etc, etc, so probably would take an already expensive car too far out of its price bracket.

We've got one and are very plsd with it, but we did agonise about the 'package' on the SE. You really don't need an elec sunroof & elec rear windows, yet it doesn't have intermittant rear wipe. Most similar level cars come with side 'bumpers' (£250 extra) front fogs (£350 extra) and you'd expect things like oil level indicator, outside temp gauge and a basic trip computer.
Honda Jazz - martinh
I was at Car Giant today and saw one in dark green on the 03 plate, priced at £7799. Check it out for yourself:

www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=206419

It's exactly the same price as the 02-plate Camry I'm interested in...

MH
Honda Jazz - henry k
I was at Car Giant today and saw one in dark
green on the 03 plate, priced at £7799. Check it out
for yourself:

Or have a look at the Autotrader via the panel on the left.
It gives you an easy view of asking prices and specs.
It includes said Car Giant car and a picture.
Honda Jazz - Canon Fodder
LeglessLad,

Have you seen the contract hire offers from Honda on the Jazz?

www.honda.co.uk/finance/contractHire/jazzOffer.html

£160 a month sounds good to me.....

Generally there seem to be some cracking personal contract hire deals around at the mo. I've seen Mk5 Golf GT Tdi 140 for £200/month, and a Saab 9-3 1.9Tdi linear sport for £219 - excl VAT of course, but even so.

Is there a catch with these Contract Hire deals?

CF
Honda Jazz - dylan
> £160 a month sounds good to me.....

I don't get it. 3+35 * 160 + VAT = £7144. And that's with a limit of 10K miles per year.

That sounds like a terrible deal. What am I missing?

I take your point Dylan. it definitly seems more cost effective on prestige cars with low deprication - the figures for the Golf and the Saab seem better.

However the jazz numbers aren't that bad.

1.4 SE Cost new £10,393
Cost of finance over 3 years, say £2,000
Value of Jazz after 3 years £5,200

Total cost £7,200 - pretty similar - and you can thrash the proverbials off it and then just hand it back at the end of the contract.....;-]

CF
Honda Jazz - dylan
> Cost of finance over 3 years, say £2,000

With direct line, currently 10K over 3 years costs £918. And remember, only the first car costs you this - 2nd and subsequent cars will only require 5K (assuming 50% deprec.) to be financed (costing around £450 currently). If course, if you've got the cash, then the cost is even lower (just the interest you would have had on the cash if you didn't spend it on the car).

> you can thrash the proverbials off it and then
> just hand it back at the end of the contract

Yeah, but you can do that with your own car. If you intend to trade it in after 3 years, what's the difference? You don't need to worry about the longevity either way.

BTW On the psychology of car finance, I think it's a great idea to buy cars cash if at all possible. Really brings home how much the car costs. £200 quid a month sounds so reasonable, you think you're not spending too much. But taking 10 grand out of your savings instead - that really stings :-)

With direct line, currently 10K over 3 years costs £918

Eh? are you sure Dylan, it came out as £2,551 at 6% when I did it on the direct line website.

I do agree about the pyschology of it, I think I'm trying to hide the true cost of buying a car from myself by going contract hire, it's just too scary otherwise.

CF
Honda Jazz - dylan
> Eh? are you sure Dylan, it came out as £2,551 at 6%
> when I did it on the direct line website.

That would be with the payment protection. You need to click the \"Get a quote without the payment protection\" button to get the proper quote.

Actually, a little lightbulb has just lit up in my head. I\'ve been wondering why unsecured loans are so cheap at the moment. At 6%, they cost about the same as secured loans, which makes no sense. Unless, of course you factor in the ridiculously overpriced payment protection. So they get a nice low headline rate of 6%, but they know a substantial number of people will take the payment protection, thus effectively upping the rate to around 17% (rough calculation). Crafty deleted.

Honda Jazz - doctorchris
Bought a Jazz as our second car and now use it as much as possible including long motorway trips as it is so easy to drive.
A bit noisy at motorway speeds but plenty of power if driven at sensible speed.
Amazing feeling of space when inside such a small car.
Honda Jazz - Dulwich Estate
Go for it and get it new. S/H look too pricey. High residual value suits us though - we bought a new 03 one. Lovely car. Usually take my Audi Avant to France, but two weeks ago did 550 miles each way in the Jazz with only a one day gap in the middle. I prefer that journey in the Audi, but only just. The Jazz did a superb job - just a bit of side wind problem when overtaking the camions at 85mph. I can't recall the precise fuel consumption now, but it was well over 50mpg.
Honda Jazz - mab23

Get a jazz, there's little difference between new and used prices though. Get the SE spec.

There's a few pre-reg/very low mileage ones out there that will save you a few hundred quid on list, and if nothing else can be used to beat your dealer over the head. See HJ's autotrader link. Some examples:

04(04) HONDA JAZZ 1.4 i-DSi SE, Avonvale Honda Stratford 5 door, Hatchback, Mint Opal Green Metallic, 500 miles, Central Door Locking,Immobiliser,Electric Front Windows,Driver's seat height adjustment,Anti-lock braking system,Bumpers in body colour,Headlamp . . . . 9995.

04(04) HONDA JAZZ 1.4 i-DSi SE, Avonvale Honda Coventry 5 door, Hatchback, Ice Blue Metallic, 281 miles, Central Door Locking,Immobiliser,Electric Front Windows,Driver's seat height adjustment,Anti-lock braking system,Bumpers in body colour,Headlamp . . . 9995

I don't understand this one though - three grand over list?!!

04(04) HONDA JAZZ 1.4 i-DSi SE, Norton Way Honda 5 door, Hatchback, Satin Silver Metallic, 1000 miles, Anti-lock braking system,Bumpers in body colour,Headlamp levelling,High mounted stop lamp,Immobiliser,Power-assisted steering,Luggage retention . . . . 13495

Mike
Honda Jazz - Bill Payer
I don't understand this one though - three grand over list?!!

Is it done on purpose so it'll come out at the top of any search organised by price?