What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I have just noticed some rust around the weatherstrip on the top of the drivers door frame.

I have a 15 month warranty with the ford dealership and the car has a 6 year anticorrosion warranty.

How do i get the rust repaired.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
Hello

Anyone have any ideas
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - LeePower
A chat with a Ford dealer might be a good idea, I thought to uphold the anti rust warranty the car had to be inspected every year by a main dealer? Isnt that in the warranty booklet somewhere?

I also thought a company like Ford would have galvenised the body shell so rust wouldnt be an issue?

Peugeot started doing this back in the late 1980s, Vauxhall started with the series 4 Astra & Fiats have been galvenised too for over 10 years.
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - Andrew-T
Surely these days serious corrosion on a 4-year-old car means either a really unusual fault on the production line, or an accident repair poorly done. Though that seems unlikely above the driver's door. Do you know the car's full history?
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - Mondaywoe
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I suspect your corrosion warranty will only apply to 'perforation' (ie rusted all the way through the metal!) and chances are the dealer's warranty won't include corrosion at all.

On the other hand, rubbing this area down and respraying wouldn't be a difficult job and the dealer might do it for you out of good will.

If it's on a part of the doorframe not normally seen when the door is shut (ie no matching problems against the external bodywork) you'll probably find that a perfectly acceptable job could be done with an aerosol.A good rub down followed by a spray with Davids Zinc Primer and a few top coats of colour would most likely be indistinguishable from the main bodywork colour in that area.

You might also want to check and see why it was rusting in the first place (unusual in newish cars) Perhaps the door is misaligned and scuffing the frame, maybe the car has had a new door in the past and painting not properly done. There again, there could be water getting in and accelerating the corrosion.If something like this is the case, you might manage to claim under warranty because the corrosion has been caused by another fault

Try asking the dealer nicely first!

Good luck.

Graeme
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - Sooty Tailpipes
A new weather strip should only be a few pounds and will show you how the old one is held on, most just pull off with pliars etc... but the force required usually ruins them. Once off, you can inspect the problem, and use a proprietory rust treatment , primer and paint, and then apply some cavity was preservative. My guess is that there is a trough that the weatherstrip sits in which is not properly painted and water will also take a long time to leave this area, making it the first to rust.
Hello

Since finding a small patch of corrosion around metal that holds the weatherstrip I removed the weatherstrip totally to reveal another rust patch with a hole that i can push my key into.

This must have been caused by water sitting in the trough as suggested by another backroomer..

The car didnt come with a rust book

The car was very well looked after as it has full ford service history at that dealership and was purchased new from there too but i bet you are saying it obviosly hasnt been looked after that well after all if its rusting only after 4 years.

Our old faithfull (an old white fiesta 1.1 L) that we recently sold on didnt have and visible trace of rust on it apart from the rear arches now it seems ford has got worse over time.
--
(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters
rust on mk5 fiesta (2000) - Civic8
>>The car was very well looked after as it has full ford service history at that dealership and was purchased new from there too

Did that include full body check. IIRC at each service the body had to be checked. Which also meant a seperate section of service manual was stamped/signed by tech to say it had been checked. if this is missing I doubt you have any claim. Though would advise anyone that has a warranty on bodywork. make sure when service is completed. paperwork is sorted correctly ie body has been inspected.relevent paperwork signed and stamped by garage.It will be only guarantee any body probs are fixed.?
--
Was mech1