What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - Hoojafudge
Right ! I\'m getting a new car and I\'ve narrowed it down to a Seat Leon Cupra or a Honda Civic Type R , but I\'m flummoxed! Could anyone advise me please?!!!
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - BazzaBear {P}
Personally I\'d have the Seat, but since that\'s only a personal preference it hardly helps you.
Have you test driven them both?
The Civic is, by all accounts, a rev monster. Whether that\'s a bad thing for you would depend on your preferred driving style.
I have tested them both yes , and i am a rev-monster lover , and personally im leaning towards the honda , but then i see a cupra and im \"aaaahhhh\" i want one , so im still none the wiser !
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - helicopter
I would go for the Honda on the basis that you have proven reliability and if you get a problem the Honda dealers service is second to none.
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - Kuang
Common opinion seems to be that they\'re both great cars but that the ride quality on the Honda is very hard to live with over long distances and less than perfect roads, especially if you carry passengers. I\'d personally go for the Leon for looks alone, but it doesnt hurt that it goes like a rocket, and doesn\'t have the baseball-cap factor of the Type R :)
The \'personal opinion\' which I mentioned having earlier is pretty much based on everything Kuang just said.
Looks like a seat then ! Me and my wife have a baby due soon, so much as id love to hang around mcdonalds with my baseball cap on in a type r , looks like its the (sensible ) option !!!
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - J Bonington Jagworth
Is there anything to choose in insurance cost? I\'m thinking less of the performance and more of how the insurers view their respective appeal to criminals (who, I would imagine, prefer the Honda).
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - P 2501
I have not driven the honda but i had a go in a friends leon in north wales (some great roads!) and was very impressed.But you can\'t really go wrong with either.
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - Vansboy
NEITHER!!

Check out whats under the bonnet of one of those rocket propelled 147's sitting in the Alfa showroom !!!!

It looks like it could EAT the other 2, without moving!!

VB
Yeah, but just wait for the first warranty job.. ;)
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - Sprice
With Alfa Romeos reliability record, it wont be long before its not moving! Honda I say
Have you taken Mrs Hooja to look yet? She may well uncover some important deciding factor that you have completely overlooked...
:-)
Nicely put.. ;)
im not listening to mrs h on this one (she likes impreza`s so what does she know !!! ) well thats what im telling my mates anyway! ive decided on the seat , in my opinion its a bit more refined looking (im in my mid 30`s) and i saw a cracker last night , black with the red brembo brakes and that swung it for me
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - No Do$h
Seems that midlife crisis is getting earlier and earlier......
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - midlifecrisis
Don't bring me into it. (I'd have the Seat!)
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - bradgate
"im not listening to mrs h on this one (she likes impreza`s so what does she know !!! )"

Er, quite a lot about high performance cars that don't suffer from torque steer and don't break down?

But not much about cars with a bit of style and grace ;)
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - bradgate
But not much about cars with a bit of style and
grace ;)

Fair point, as ever, Bazza. You don't have to look at it when you're driving the thing though!!
Fair point, as ever, Bazza. You don't have to look at
it when you're driving the thing though!!

Very true.
I should point out I certainly don't dislike the Scooby, you have to be impressed by it's capabilities, if nothing else. And there is an argument that, while certainly not beautiful, it's look is purposeful rather than ugly.
I'm not sure whether I would ever own one personally, but happily (yeah, right) I'm not in the position to be able to afford one at the moment, so it's not a question I need to answer.
evo v111 anyday !
fair point -- but they are ugly as sin i think !
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - patently
There is a way to stop the Impreza looking ugly.

Just specify the gold alloy wheels. Then it looks ridiculous, instead.
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - number67
I bought my Cupra (180bhp non-R!) almost exactly 12 months ago. It was the dealer demo with 6k on the clock. Since then I've done about 11k in it.

First service was about £110.
Cost to insure £475 with a leading supermarket. (i'm 35 and keep it in a garage EVERY night).
Fuel consumption now sticks at about 31mpg - mixed driving. A long motorway run at 80 will get me high 30's mpg.

The rear seats squeaked - which was fixed by wrapping some tape around the hook that holds it upright. The Dash squeaks a bit and I inserted a piece of foam where the steering column disapears int othe dash.

2 new Bridgestone Potenzas at £120 each fitted at 16k. (they were loads cheaper on mytyres but I wanted new ones on before I went on me hols.

Recent 2k trip round France fully loaded up c/w roof box and it returned 34.5mpg (all with 95 ron petrol). I began to wonder whether they sold them in France - lots of stares - maybe cos it's bright yellow! Well who wants another boring Silver one?!

All in all it's been totally trouble free - apart from the telegraph pole which reversed into me! (not that easy to see and reverse!). Reasonable insurance for a car with its power. I think the model is about to be replaced next year?

Just started getting quotes for September and best is around £430.

I would definately recommend one, its been trouble free, great engine pulls all the way thru' the revs (not peaky like the Honda and with a non-baseball cap image!). I actually think it would be better with a tighter 5-speed box, but 6th is great for the motorway.
hi , did you get the years free satellite tracking with it when you bought it ?
No, but as I say its not an 'R', just a cupra.

I did get the balance of the warranty 2 1/2 years plus balance of the RAC cover 4 1/2 yrs. I haven't tired of the looks, I think if you take all the spoilers alloys off etc its still basically a good looking car ( a bit alfasud?!) Whereas if you stripped all the toys off a Civic Type R you have a delivery van.

I can appreciate the engineering in a Honda - but personally the revvy on-off VTEC engine would lose it's appeal after a while. The Seat's engineering has had a while to mature in the A3 etc. No coil pack failures on mine yet - I think it's too new for the troublesome batch. I guess these low pressure turbos are quite reliable now - it must be in a hell of a lot of cars... A3's, golf, passat, TT, A4, A6. Anyone have a 120k ish passat 1.8T? Do they last?
just what i was thinking really , i like the looks of the seat , and it does look good from any angle , just like the new Audi A3 , which is what id go for (quattro) if i had the extra cash
Well I'd have to disagree there Fudge... there's just enough boy racer still in me to appreciate deep bumpers and big alloys. The new A3 looks just too reserved for me! I like the extra bit of aggression in the Cupra R's looks - but the budget meant I couldn't quite go down that route!

I prefer the old s3 to the new A3. No doubt they'll start putting the new Audi 'open mouth and 'tache'' look on the 3-door A3 soon. Err no thanks.
We`ll agree to disagree on that one then old pal , the old a3 was too rounded for my liking ....... have you seen the new golf gti ? and if so what do you think of that ? im thinking seat altea myself!
Well it would be boring if everyone drove a Silver Focus. (what do you mean eveyone does?!)

I've not seen one 'in the flesh' yet. So I'll reseve judgement - some cars look good on release - and then soon start to age, while others grow on you. Not an Altea fan at all, all this MPV sports thing is a bit naff.

I liked the Leon Cupra when it first came out - but couldn't afford. I think the late 2002 facelift did the Cupra a lot of favours (and aged the original one quite badly!) The early ones had leather as standard, but they soon dropped that to help bring the cost down.
hahah - guess what car im driving till i get my leon?
a silver focus !!!!!!
Spooky!

Silver was a safe bet though! My car colour history has been...

Silver - 2nd hand car.
Black - new car, and I liked black, suited the car.
Red -2nd hand car.
Silver -New, suited the car but far too popular!
Yellow - 2nd hand car. Wife liked it - and it's grown on me. But I think that pale shades of yellow don't work on cars. I was going to have yellow red or black. They do a silver grey that looks ok, but I didn't want silver this time.
yeah i like that silvery / slate grey , but think ill go for black , my fave car that i owned ( a black 16v mark 2 golf gti ) looks the business after it had been washed and waxed , well for about 10 mins till the birds whoppie do do all over it,i do like the audi yellow (inca yellow i think it is ) but dont think id have the courage to buy a yellow car ! so black it is !
saying about the silver focus tho , it was a relief to get that company car after driving a purple!? mondeo for two years , i felt a proper moron driving that !
Leon Cupra Or Civic Type R ? - BobbyG
My boss always fancied himself as a bit of a rally driver and almost wet himself when he was told that due to cutbacks at work his Mondeo that was due for replacement wouldn't be replaced and he would need to just have a pool car. This turned out to be a Type R from some director who had been given the boot.

His verdict? Great car in a straight line, huge power, but he just couldn't live with the ride. He drives 60 miles each way and his bones are killing him when he arrives and that is just driving on normal Motorway and A roads.
"a bit alfasud?"

Of course! I've been trying to place it for ages...